A working town catering mainly for the local population. Most travellers will be visiting the town on their way through (maybe on their way to/from Norwich) as the town lies on the main A140 route to/from Norwich from the S). There has been much talk over the years of constructing a bypass and considerable pressure from local residents all of which has so far come to nothing. But in 2013 another Planning Consultation started and in 2016 the District Council decided it did want a bypass subject to the development of an additional 1,800 homes.
The surrounding countryside is ideal for exploring on foot or by bicycle, with quiet rural country lanes without many hills.
The town is small enough to walk around
- 1 Forncett Industrial Steam Museum, Low Road, Forncett St Mary, NR16 1JJ (4 miles W of Long Stratton), ☏ , email@example.com. W & Su 11:00–16:00 (see web site for additional "steam-up" opening). Industrial Revolution steam era exhibition.
- 1 Banham Zoo (Zoological Society of East Anglia), Kenninghall Road, Banham, Norfolk NR16 2HE (12 miles to WSW), ☏ . Opening times vary through year. Good sized zoo, wide range of animals, good enclosures, well looked after. Entry price varies with time of year and visitor age.
- 2 Rowan Craft Ltd, Wherry Dyke, Geldeston, Beccles, NR34 0LY (15 miles E of Long Stratton), ☏ . 08:30–13:00, 14:00–17:00. Day boat hire 3hrs £50, all day (6hours) £80. Canoe hire 3hrs £23, all day £35 per canoe; two and three man canoes available.
- 3 Lotus Cars Factory Tour, Potash Lane, Hethel, NR14 8EZ (7 miles NW of town). Different tours on different days at different prices. Book through website.
- 4 Norfolk Tank Museum, Station Road, Forncett, St Peter, NR16 1HZ (2 miles W of town), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Easter–31 Oct Tu–Th & Su 10:00–17:00. Collection of Cold War armoured vehicles, weaponry and tanks
The surrounding countryside has many small rural quiet roads without many hills ideally suited to cycling. The network of small lanes will need a map (or GPS or smartphone with mapping) for those not familiar with the area. Most cyclists avoid the A140 running through the town and tend to use the narrower rural lanes. Cyclists requiring the traditional "cafe stop" see The Tudor Bakehouse or Goodies Food Hall listed below.
The area is popular for horse riding
- 5 Hot To Trot School of Equitation, Gowers Farm Barns, Low Road, Bunwell, NR16 1SD (5 miles W of town), ☏ , email@example.com. Riding lessons and hacking 45 min adult private lesson £30.
The town has several shops including a small supermarket (with ATM) BUT no banks (the only bank closed in Sept 2015 so some out of date internet sites might still maintain the town has a bank)..
- 1 Co-Op (Supermarket), The Street, NR15 2XJ (On A140 road), ☏ . M-Sa 07:00–22:00. Su 10:00–16:00. Small supermarket. ATM/Cashpoint. Parking. Subway sandwich counter inside supermarket.
- 2 Stratton Cycle Shed, The Street, NR15 2XJ (Behind Tudor Bake House), ☏ . Tu 9:30–17:00. W 09:30–13:00. Th–F 09:30–17:00. Sa 09:30–16:00. Bicycle repair.
Several restaurants and take-aways in the town.
- 1 Goodies Food Hall, French’s Farm, Wood Lane, Pulham, IP21 4XU (4 miles S of town, just off A140 but cyclists approach using lanes to E.), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Store: M–F 09:00–17:00, Sa 08:00–17:00, Su 09:00–16:00. Café: M–Sa 09:00–16:00, Su 09:00–15:30. Farm shop and cafe/restaurant
Several pubs in the town as well as country pubs in some surrounding villages.
- 1 Fox & Hounds, Frith Way, Great Moulton, Norwich NR15 2HE (3 miles SW of town by road), ☏ , email@example.com. Local village pub. Serves food
- 2 The Swan Inn, The Street, Long Stratton, NR15 2XG, ☏ .
- 3 Brown Sugar Coffee Bar, Kestrel House, The Street, Long Stratton, NR15 2XJ, ☏ . M-F 09:30-16:30. Sa 10:00-15:00. Speciality coffees, sandwiches, cakes & snacks.
- 4 The Queen's Head (Pub), The Street, Long Stratton, NR15 2XG, ☏ .
Surrounding areas have B&Bs, hotels, campsites, etc., but there is not much accommodation within the town itself.
- 1 South Norfolk Guest House, Frith Way, Great Moulton, NR15 2HE, ☏ .
- 2 The Chestnuts Bed & Breakfast, Chequers Road, Tharston, Long Stratton, NR15 2YA, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: after 16:30, check-out: before 10:30. Dogs must be pre-booked £5 £80.
- 3 Sunnyside South B&B, West Road, Forncett End, NR16 1LF (5 miles W of Long Stratton), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: from 16:00, check-out: by 10:30.
- 1 Nearest Accident & Emergency: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY (13 miles N of town). 24/7.
- 2 Nearest General Practice (GP): Long Stratton Medical Partnership (Primary Healthcare), Swan Lane, Tharston, NR15 2UY, ☏ . M–F 08:15–18:00.
- 3 The Manor House Dental Surgery (Dentist), The Street, Long Stratton, NR15 2XJ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M–W 09:00–17:30. Th 09:00–18:00. F 09:00–16:30.
- 4 Pharmacy: Well, The Angel Site, Long Stratton, NR15 2XJ, ☏ . M–F 09:00-18:00. Sa 09:00–13:00.
Telephone area code (0)1508
- 5 Post Office, 6–8 Swan La, Long Stratton, NR15 2XN (Located within One-Stop Convenience store.), ☏ . M–F 09:00–17:30.