Beccles and Bungay are towns in Suffolk.
Beccles and Bungay are market towns on the River Waveney in Suffolk 5 miles (8 km) apart on the southern edge of the Norfolk Broads. They are rural towns catering primarily to the local populations rather than tourists.
In Bungay one Sunday during a church service in 1577 during thunderstorms a black hellhound apparition appeared and attacked members of the congregation. Today this dog is included in the town's coat of arms and the "Black Dog" name can be seen cropping up around the town. The dog has been linked to the Black Shuck - a dog renowned for hunting the coasts of Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex (and featured in a song by the rock group The Darkness).
- 1 Beccles Station, Station Rd, Beccles NR34 9QJ. On the East Suffolk Ipswich to Lowestoft line, Station managed by and services provided by Greater Anglia.
Regional Cycle Route 30 runs through both towns through Diss & Thetford to the W and to Lowestoft to the E. In Beccles route 30 connects with National Cycle Route 1 (Shetland to Dover via Norwich & Ipswich) as well as Regional Cycle Route 31 (Reedham to Southwold).
Both towns are small enough to see on foot, though they are 5 miles apart.
- 1 St Michaels Church, New Market Beccles NR34 9HE.
- 2 Beccles and District Museum, Leman House, Ballygate, Beccles NR34 9ND, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Beccles Bell Tower, ☏ .
- 4 Bungay Castle, Castle Orchard, Bungay NR35 1DD. Free (donations appreciated).
- Beccles Carnival, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Annual late Aug.
- 1 Beccles Golf Club, The Common, Common Lane, Beccles, NR34 9BX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Beccles Lido (Openair Swimming Pool), Puddingmoor, Beccles NR34 9PL, ☏ .
- 3 Ellough Park Raceway (Go-Karting Track), Benacre Rd, Ellough NR34 7XD, ☏ . Daily 10AM-late.
- 4 Fisher Theatre (Performance Arts Venue & Cinema), 10 Broad Street, Bungay NR35 1EE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Bungay & Waveney Valley Golf Club, Outney Common, Bungay NR35 1DS, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 6 Bungay Pool & Gym, St Johns Hill, Bungay NR35 1PH, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Centre: M-F 6AM-10PM, Sa Su 8AM-6PM.
Boat and canoe hire
- 7 Outney Meadow Caravan Park (Canoe Hire), Outney Meadow, Bungay NR35 1 HG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Canadian canoe: £24/half day, £35/day.
- 8 Rowan Craft Ltd, Wherry Dyke, Geldeston, Beccles, NR34 0LY (5½ miles E of Bungay, 3 miles W of Beccles), ☏ . 8:30AM–1PM, 2–5PM. Boat hire: 3 hr £50, 6 hr £80; canoe hire: 3 hr £23, 6 hr £35; two-and three-person canoes available.
- 9 Hipperson (Dayboat Hire), Gillingham Dam, Beccles NR34 0EB, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Summer: M-F 8:30AM-5PM, Sa 8:30AM-5PM, Su 9AM-5PM; Winter: M-F 8:30AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-1PM. £19 per hr.
- 1 Bungay Market (http://www.bungay-suffolk.co.uk/business/bungay-market.asp), Buttercross, Market Place Bungay NR35 1AR. Th 7AM-.
- 2 Tesco (Supermarket), George Westwood Way, Beccles NR34 9QH, ☏ . M-Sa 6AM-midnight, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 3 Co-op (Convenience Store), Rigbourne Hill, Swines Green, Beccles NR34 9JF, ☏ . M-Sa 6AM-10PM, Su 7:30AM-10PM. ATM
- 4 Co-op (Convenience Store), Hillside Rd East, Bungay NR35 1RX, ☏ . M-F 8AM-10PM, Sa 8AM-8PM, Su 10AM-4PM. ATMs. Petrol station (different hours).
- 1 Prezzo (Italian Restaurant), 9 Saltgate, Beccles NR34 9AN, ☏ . Daily noon-11:30PM.
- 2 India Gate (Indian Restaurant), 16 Newgate Beccles NR34 9QD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 6PM-11:30PM.
- 3 Graze (Cafe, Bar & Grill), 29 New Market, Beccles NR34 9HE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 11AM-3PM & 6PM-11PM, Su noon-4PM.
- 4 Bahn Thai (Thai Restaurant), 20 Earsham St, Bungay NR35 1AG, ☏ . Daily 6PM-10PM, Th-Sa also noon-2:30PM.
- 5 Suffolk Stonehouse (Pizza Restaurant), 18 St Mary's St, Bungay NR35 1AX, ☏ . M-W 5-9PM, Th-Su 3:30-9:30PM.
- 1 The Locks Inn (Pub & Food), Lock's Lane, Geldeston NR34 0HS (4½ miles W of Beccles, 5½ miles E of Bungay), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pub: daily 11AM-11PM; food: M-F noon-2:30PM & 6PM-9PM, Sa Su noon-9PM.
- 2 Bear & Bells (Pub & Food), 11 Old Market, Beccles NR34 9AP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub: M-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 11AM-10:30PM; food: M noon-2:30PM, Tu W noon-2:30PM & 5:30-8:30PM, Th-Sa noon-8:30PM, Su noon-2:30PM. Free Wi-Fi.
- 3 Twyfords Cafe, Exchange Square, Beccles NR34 9HL, ☏ . Patisserie: M-Sa 8AM-5PM; cafe M-Sa 8:30AM-5PM.
- 4 Wine Vaults (Bar & Restaurant), 2A Blyburgate, Beccles NR34 9TA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Bar: M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-1AM, Su 10AM-midnight; food: M-F noon-2:30PM & 6PM-9PM, Sa noon-9PM, Su 10AM-9PM.
- 5 The Green Dragon (Pub), 29 Broad St, Bungay NR35 1EF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 11AM-midnight, Sa noon-midnight, Su noon-5PM.
- 1 The Swan Motel (Rooms, restaurant & bar), Loddon Rd, Gillingham NR34 0LD (2 miles NW of Beccles, 7 miles E of Bungay), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 The Waveney House Hotel, Puddingmoor, Beccles NR34 9PL, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Saltgate House (B&B), 5 Saltgate, Beccles NR34 9AN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Double/twin from £70/night.
- 4 The King's Head Hotel, 4–6 New Market, Beccles NR34 9HA, ☏ .
- 5 The Old Grain Store (B&B), Wainford House, Wainford Rd, Bungay NR35 1TA (1 mile E of Bungay), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 Folly Studio (B&B), 8 Woodland Dr, Bungay NR35 1PE, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Double occupancy £78/night; single occupancy £55/night.
- 1 Beccles Post Office, WH Smith, 9 Newmarket Place, Beccles NR34 9HQ. M-F 8:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-12:30PM, Su 10AM-2PM.
- 2 Bungay Post Office, 38 St Mary St, Bungay NR35 1AX. M-Sa 6AM-6PM, Su 7AM-1PM.