Southwold is an unspoilt seaside town in Suffolk.
Described in the Doomsday Book as a fishing port, over time a shingle bar built-up across the harbour entrance preventing the town becoming a major port. A fire in 1659 severly damaged the town and even today the town has many village greens where some destroyed areas were never rebuilt.
Today the town is well known due to the Adnams Brewery which is the town's largest employer.
Southwold is about 35 miles from Ipswich and a similar distance from Norwich. 6 miles E of the A12 main road, 14 miles S of Lowestoft.
- 1 Darsham Train station, Main Road (A12), near Darsham, IP17 3PN (9 miles SW of town). On the East Suffolk Ipswich to Lowestoft line. Station operated by and services run by Greater Anglia
It is not served by public transport so you may need to pre-book a taxi. Alternatively you can travel by train to Halesworth where there is a connecting bus service to Southwold.
The town is at the S end of Regional Cycle Route 31 which runs N to Beccles where it joins Regional Cycle Route 30 (to Lowestoft to the E and to Harleston and beyond to the W) as well as joins National Cycle Route 1 (Shetland to Dover) to Norwich and beyond to the N and Ipswich and beyond to the S.
The town is small enough to walk around by foot.
- 1 Southwold lighthouse, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. No children shorter than 1.1m (really) Adults £4; Children £3; Family £12.
- 2 Southwold Pier, North Parade, Southwold IP18 6BN, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 3 St Edmund's Church, Bartholomew Green, Southwold IP18 6JA.
- 4 The Southwold Museum, 9-11 Victoria St, Southwold IP18 6HZ (Opposite Bartholomew Green, facing the main entrance to the Church), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 Apr-31 Oct daily 14:00-16:00. Free (donations appreciated).
- 5 Alfred Cory Lifeboat Museum, Ferry Rd, Southwold IP18 6NB, ☎ . 1 Apr-31 Oct: M-F 10:30-13:00 & 14:00-16:30. Sa Su 10:30-16:30; 1 Nov-31 Mar: Fine weekends only 10:00-15:30.
Walk along the pier and visit the lovely shops along it, or stop for lunch or a snack in the restaurant.
Walk to the river and take ferry over to Walberswick.
Shop in the many boutiques, gift shops, delis etc. There is a lovely Adnams Kitchen shop which sells a huge variety of wines, as well as unusual kitchen equipment. There is also a nice cafe at the back.
Take a walk on the beach.
Play golf on the very pleasant nine hole course. Visitors welcome and does a very good fish and chip meal.
Visit The Sailors’ Reading Room . Ship figureheads, pictures and portraits of local fishermen and seascapes, model ships and maritime memorabilia offer a fascinating history of Southwold’s connections with the sea .
Visit The Alfred Corry museum. The museum building is the 1923 ex-Cromer Lifeboat shed and it houses 'Alfred Corry', the Southwold No1 Lifeboat built in 1893.
- 1 Reydon Wood (Nature Reserve), Wood Lane, off B1126, near Wangford IP18 6SL (3 miles NW of Southwold. OS grid ref: TM480788), ☎ . always open. 16 hectare woodland good for birdwatching. Apr-Jul best time to visit. Dogs on leads.
- 2 Dunwich Heath & Beach, Coastguard Cottages, Minsmere Rd, Dunwich IP17 3DJ (10 miles S of Southwold), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Dogs welcome. Tea rooms Parking: Cars £4.80; Motor homes £12.50; Motorcycles £3.50.
- 3 Benacre National Nature Reserve. Nearly 400 hectares. Open water lagoons and reed beds
- 4 Latitude Festival, Henham Park, Southwold, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mid July. Music festival
- Southwold Arts Festival, e-mail: email@example.com. Running since 2014, the festival organises a wide variety of artists and events and various venues over the week.
- 5 Denes Beach, IP18 6HQ. Quiet shingle beach
- Murder Mystery Treasure Trail (Walking Treasure Trail). Purchase in advance (internet PDF download available). 2 miles & 2 hrs £6.99.
- 6 Costal Voyager (Adrenaline RIB Boat Ride), Stage S35, Blackshore, Southwold Harbour IP18 6TA, ☎ . Book in advance.
- 1 Adnams Southwold Store (Adnams Brewery), ☎ .
- 2 Farmhouse Bakery, 77 High St Southwold IP18 6DS, ☎ . Breads, cakes & filled rolls
- 3 Amber Shop (Shop & Museum), 15 Market Place, Southwold IP18 6EA, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 09:30-17:00. Su 11:00-16:00. Amber jewellery & items
- 4 Co-op (Supermarket), 2 Market Place, Southwold IP18 6EE, ☎ . Daily 06:00-22:00. ATMs
- 5 Tesco Espress (Convenience Store), 2 Queen St, Southwold IP18 6EQ, ☎ . Daily 07:00-23:00.
- 1 Lord Nelson, 42 East St, Southwold IP18 6EJ, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Sa 10:30-23:00. Su 12:00-22:30. A good pub meal and atmosphere. No reservations. Dog friendly
- 2 The Anchor Inn, The Street, Walberswick IP18 6UA (From Southwold, 8 miles by road, 2 miles on foot), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Food: Daily 08:30-10:00 & 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:00; Tea & Coffee: All day. a fine selection of speciality beers and wine, with traditional pub food, at low prices. Log fires and over 20 wines by the glass
- 3 Coasters (Restaurant), 12 Queen St, Southwold IP18 6EQ, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 09:00-14:30 & 18:00-21:00.
There are several wonderful pubs. Most the pubs in Southwold are run by Adnams Brewery which is based on East Green in the town. They have a well known logo "Beer from the Coast". Look out for the Lord Nelson, Red Lion and the Sole Bay.
- 1 Lord Nelson (Nellie), 42 East St, Southwold IP18 6EJ, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10:30-23:00. Su 12:00-22:30. Great pub. Multiple award winner. Very well kept Adnams beers. Pub food. Packed to the ceilings on weekends and during the season. Dog friendly
- 2 The Harbour Inn, Blackshore, Southwold IP18 6TA (In the harbour), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Pub: daily 11:00-23:00; Food: daily 12:00-21:00. Lovely inn, well kept Adnams beers. Fish and chips.
- 3 The Ship, St. James's Street, Dunwich. a traditional family pub with Mauldon’s on tap from unique handpumps
- 4 The Sail Loft (Pub, Restaurant & Rooms), 53 Ferry Rd, Southwold IP18 6HQ, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th 10:00-17:00. F Sa 10:00-21:00 (bar to 23:00). Su 10:00-17:00.
- 5 The Sole Bay Inn (Pub & Food), 7 East Green, Southwold IP18 6JT, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Pub: M-Sa 11:00-23:00. Su 11:30-22:30; Food daily 12:00-21:00.
- 6 The Bell Inn (Pub & Food), Ferry Rd, Walberswick IP18 6TN (From Southwold, 9 miles by car, 1 mile on foot), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub: daily 11:00-23:00; Food: daily 12:00-14:30 & 18:00-21:00.
- 1 The Swan ** Re-opening Autumn 2017 **, Market Place, Southwold IP18 6EG, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 2 The Crown (Rooms, Food & Pub), 90 High St, Southwold IP18 6DP, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Food: M-F 12:00-14:00 & 18:00-21:00. Sa 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:00. Su 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:00. modern, contemporary feel, owned and managed by Adnams Brewery. Comes with a fine wooden and red leather decor, several types of local beer on tap, alongside a very respectable 20 wines by the glass.
- 3 The Blyth Hotel, Station Rd, Southwold IP18 6AY, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. AA 2*. Bar & restaurant
- 4 Amber House (B&B), North Parade, Southwold IP18 6LT, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 [dead link] Home@21 (B&B), 21 North Parade, Southwold IP18 6LT, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 16:30-18:00, check-out: by 10:00. No pets. No children under 14. Min 2 night stay from £100/night/room.
- 1 Post Office, High St, Southwold IP18 6AA. M-Sa 09:00-17:30. Su 10:00-16:00.
|Routes through Southwold|
|Ipswich ← Saxmundham ←||SW NE||→ Lowestoft → Great Yarmouth|