Southwold is an unspoilt seaside town in Suffolk.
Southwold is about 35 miles from Ipswich and a similar distance from Norwich. The nearest rail station is Darsham which is 8 miles away. It is not served by public transport so you may need to pre-book a taxi. Alternatively you can travel by train to Halesworth where there is a connecting bus service to Southwold.
The town is small enough to walk around by foot.
Walk along the pier and visit the lovely shops along it, or stop for lunch or a snack in the restaurant.
Walk to the river and take ferry over to Walberswick.
Shop in the many boutiques, gift shops, delis etc. There is a lovely Adnams Kitchen shop which sells a huge variety of wines, as well as unusual kitchen equipment. There is also a nice cafe at the back.
Take a walk on the beach.
Play golf on the very pleasant nine hole course. Visitors welcome and does a very good fish and chip meal.
Visit The Sailors’ Reading Room . Ship figureheads, pictures and portraits of local fishermen and seascapes, model ships and maritime memorabilia offer a fascinating history of Southwold’s connections with the sea .
Visit The Alfred Corry museum. The museum building is the 1923 ex-Cromer Lifeboat shed and it houses 'Alfred Corry', the Southwold No1 Lifeboat built in 1893.
- Lord Nelson. has a good pub meal and atmosphere
- Lighthouse Inn. does excellent fish but unsure about the vegetables
There are several wonderful pubs. Most the pubs in Southwold are run by Adnams Brewery which is based on East Green in the town. They have a well known logo "Beer from the Coast". Look out for the Lord Nelson, Red Lion and the Sole Bay.
- Lord Nelson (Nellie), East Street, Southwold, Suffolk, IP18 6EJ. Great pub. Multiple award winner. Very well kept Adnams beers. Pub food. Packed to the ceilings on weekends and during the season.
- The Harbour Inn, Blackshore, Southwold, Suffolk, IP18 6TA (In the harbour). Lovely inn, well kept Adnams beers. Fish and chips.
- The Swan. a traditional old fashioned hotel, owned and managed by Adnams Brewery
- The Crown. modern, contemporary feel, owned and managed by Adnams Brewery
- Saxon House, Pier Rd. an excellent B&B within sight and sound of the sea provides very filling English breakfasts