Saxmundham is in East Anglia. It's a charming working market town catering more for local residents than the tourism industry, but is a good base for exploring the Suffolk coast and inland rural towns and villages.
It dates back to the Doomsday Book (by which time it already had 3 churches). The town gained its market charter in 1272; the market still operates today.
The nearby RSPB Minsmere Nature Reserve was the base for the TV SpringWatch nature series for several years.
Saxmundham is just off the A12 (which has recently bypassed the town) and is a 2 hour drive from London.
- 1 Saxmundham Train Station, Station Approach, Saxmundham IP17 1BW. On the East Suffolk Line (Ipswich to Lowestoft). Station managed by and services operated by Greater Anglia. Hourly services to Lowestoft and Ipswich (every two hours on a Sunday).
First Buses in Norfolk and Suffolk also operate a bus to Ipswich and surrounding towns such as Aldeburgh.
- National Cycle Route 1 (Shetland to Dover) passes 4½ miles NW of the town.
- Regional Cycle Route 41 passes 3 miles W of the town.
- Regional Cycle Route 42 passes 3 miles E of the town.
Saxmundham is a small town and most places are within walking distance of each other. If you need to there is a bus service that runs around the town and then onto Ipswich.
- J Gull Taxis, Saxmundham, ☏ .
- 1 Saxmundham Museum, 49 High St, Saxmundham IP17 1AJ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10:00-13:00 from 1st April until 30 Sept. Well worth a visit, as it is very informative and enjoyable for all the family
- 1 RSPB Minsmere (Nature Reserve), IP17 3BY (OS grid ref: TM473672. 8 miles E of the town), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily dawn-dusk. Cafe.
The town has a variety of independent and chain stores on the High Street and around the central part of the town.
- 1 Weekly Market, Market Place, Saxmundham, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. early morning-mid afternoon.
- 2 Waitrose (Supermarket), Church St, Saxmundham IP17 1EP, ☏ . M-F 08:00-21:00. Sa 08:00-20:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 3 Tesco (Supermarket), 1 Church St, Saxmundham IP17 1EP, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 11:00-17:00. ATMs
- 1 Prince of Bengal, 14 High St, Saxmundham IP17 1DD, ☏ .
- 2 Cinnnamon (Indian Restaurant), 104 High St, Leiston IP16 4BZ, ☏ . Daily 17:00-23:00.
- 1 The Golden Key, Priory Lane, Snape, ☏ . This is a pub with a landlord willing to go the extra mile. Local beer, and evenings to meet your winemaker
- 2 The Old Chequers (Pub & Food), Aldeburgh Rd, Friston IP17 1NP (3 miles SE of Saxmundham), ☏ .
- 3 The White Horse (Pub & Food), Bruisyard Rd, Saxmundham IP17 2AF (3 miles W of town), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 The Bell At Sax' (Hotel & Restaurant), 31 High St, Saxmundham IP17 1AF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 The Westleton Crown, The Street, Nr. Southwold, Westleton, IP17 3AD, ☏ . An ideal base for exploring the Suffolk Coast- located half way between Southwold and Aldeburgh, this hotel is a medieval building with modern comfort with its own award-winning pub
- 1 Post Office, 7 High St, Saxmundham IP17 1DF. M Tu 08:30-17:30. W-F 09:00-17:30. Sa 09:00-13:30.
|Routes through Saxmundham|
|Ipswich ← Woodbridge ←||SW NE||→ Southwold → Lowestoft|