Woodbridge is a town in Suffolk. It is about 8 miles from the coast, on the River Deben and is the location of medieval burial sites and ancient archaeological finds.
The town is probably best known for the Sutton Hoo 6th and 7th century burial sites, something many will be visiting the area to see, though archaeological finds show habitation back to 2500-1700 B.C. Although the area was under Roman occupation for 300 years, there is little in the way of Roman remains.
The Rendlesham Forest Incident
In Dec 1980, strange lights were reportedly seen over Rendlesham Forest which were linked with claims of UFO landings. Nearby RAF Woodbridge (used by the USAF at the time) deputy base commander and other base personnel also claim to have seen what they described as a UFO landing.
The reports gained traction and the alleged sightings have been rated as of similar importance to the Roswell Incident (the 1980 "sightings" have become known as 'Britain's Roswell'). The sightings have been attributed to a fireball, Orford Ness Lighthouse and bright stars. Visitors have not been warned to take any special precautions with regard to risks of alien abductions.
- 1 Woodbridge Railway Station, Station Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4AU. East Suffolk Line, Ipswich-Lowestoft. Station managed by and services operated by Greater Anglia
- First Norfolk & Suffolk 63: Ipswich-Melton via Woodbridge.
- First Norfolk & Suffolk 64/65 Ipswich-Leiston via Woodbridge.
- First Norfolk & Suffolk 65B: Ipswich-Melton via Woodbridge.
- First Norfolk & Suffolk 70/70A: Ipswich-Woodbridge
- First Norfolk & Suffolk 963: Woodbridge-Framlingham.
- Ipswich Buses 173/174 Old Felixstowe-Woodbridge
- The town is on National Cycle Route 1 (Shetland to Dover) running through Framlingham, Halesworth, Beccles and Norwich to the N and Ipswich and Colchester to the S.
- The town is on Regional Cycle Route 48 running through Ipswich and on to Hadleigh to the W.
- The town is on Regional Cycle Route 41, running to Felixstowe to the S, then turning N to Orford and beyond, connecting to the National Cycle Network.
The town is small enough to see on foot.
- 1 Sutton Hoo. site of two 6th- and early 7th-century Anglo-Saxon cemeteries
- 2 Woodbridge Tide Mill. Living museum
- 3 Buttrum's Windmill, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Several open day through year or by appointment.
- 4 Bawdsey Radar Trust, IP12 3AT (Off the B1083, one mile beyond Bawdsey Village. 11 miles S of Woodbridge), ☏ (mobile), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Closed until Sept 2017 for the conservation work. Although radar technology early experiments were carried out at the Appleton Laboratories in Datchet, Slough, the technology was developed by scientists at Bawdsey in the time before the outbreak of WWII when the team was moved to Dundee.
- 5 Shingle Street (Shingle Beach) (8 miles SE of Woodbridge). Beautiful, remote and tranquil stretch of coast
- 6 Suffolk Punch Trust (Heritage Horse Centre), Woodbridge Walk, Hollesley IP12 3JR (8 miles E of Woodbridge), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Adult £9; Children £5; Under 5 free.
- 7 Woodbridge Museum, 5a Market Hill, Woodbridge IP12 4LP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Easter-end Oct: Th-Su & bank holidays (daily during school holidays) 10:00-16:00. Adults £1; Children 30p.
- 8 493rd Bomb Group Museum, Grove Farm, Clopton IP13 6QS (5½ miles NW of Woodbridge), ☏ (mobile), ✉ email@example.com. Control Tower Museum last Su in month Apr-Sept 11:00-16:00.
- 9 Parham Airfield Museum, IP13 9AF (9½ miles NE of Woodbridge), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Su & Bank Holiday M, from 1st Sunday Apr-last Su October 11:00-17:00; W during Jun-Aug 11:00-16:00. Free.
- Don't see Orfordness Lighthouse which was dismantled in July 2020. Completed in 1792, it was inactive and stood on a fast-eroding shingle spit; it couldn't be relocated or reinforced against the sea. It's hoped to place some of the structure as a memento on firm ground somewhere nearby.
- 1 [dead link] Rendlesham Forest. 1,500-hectare mixed woodland with walking and cycle paths
- 2 Deben Swimming Pool, Station Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4AU, ☏ .
- 3 Model Boat Pond, The Quay, Woodbridge, ☏ .
- 4 Area 25 (Indoor Skate Park), 25 Betts Ave, Martlesham IP5 3RH, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 16:00-21:00, F 16:00-22:00, Sa Su 10:00-20:00. BMX, scooters, skateboarding and inlining £7/2 hrs.
- 5 Easton Farm Park (Children's Activity Farm), Easton, Woodbridge IP13 0EQ (9 miles N of Woodbridge), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Caravan site, cottages or day visits. £9/person or child.
- 6 Beaon Ralley Karts (Go-karting Track), Beacon Hill Farm, Martlesham IP12 4RP (3 miles SW of Woodbridge), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. £10/10 mins for kiddie kart to £105/1 hr for 16+yr kart.
- 7 Congo Rapids Adventure Golf, Ufford Park Hotel. Yarmouth Rd, Melton IP12 1QW (2½ miles NE of Woodbridge), ☏ . Daily 10:00-21:00 (last entrance 20:00). No dogs Adult £8; Children £5.75.
- 8 Valley Farm (Riding School & Riding Holidays), Wickham Market, Woodbridge IP13 0ND, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Woodbridge Farmers Market, Community Hall, Station Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4AU, ✉ email@example.com. 2nd and 4th Sa of month 09:00-12:30.
- 2 Woodbridge Country Market, Community Hall, Station Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4AU. Th 10:00-11:15.
- 3 Woodbridge Thursday Market. Th 08:00-14:00.
- 4 Marlesford Mill Antique Centre, Main Rd, Marlesford IP13 0AG (8 miles NE of Woodbridge), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00-17:00.
- 5 Co-op (Supermarket), 3 Hamblin Walk, Woodbridge IP12 1DE, ☏ . M-Sa 07:00-21:00, Su 10:00-16:00. ATMs
- 1 East Coast Diner, 2 Church St Woodbridge IP12 1DH, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Fri 16:00-late, Sa Su 12:00-late.
- 2 The Table (Brasserie), 3 Quay St, Woodbridge IP12 1BX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 The Royal Bengal (Bangladeshi Restaurant), 6 Quay St, Woodbridge IP12 1BX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 18:00-23:00.
- 4 [formerly dead link] The Cooks Shed, Yard Café, 14 Gobbitts Yard, Woodbridge IP12 1DD, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 09:00-17:00.
- 5 Shapla (Indian Restaurant), 1a Church St, Woodbridge IP12 1DS, ☏ . Daily 18:00-23:30.
- 1 The Tea Hut (Café), River Wall, Woodbridge IP12 4BB, ☏ . Daily 09:00-16:00.
- 2 Ye Old Bell & Steelyard (Pub & Food), 103 New St, Woodbridge IP12 1DZ, ☏ . M-Th 11:00-15:00 & 17:00-23:30, F 11:00-15:00 & 17:00-00:00, Sa 11:00-00:00, Su 12:00-22:30.
- 3 The Old Mariner (Pub & Food), 26 New St, Woodbridge IP12 1DX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 The Duke of Youk (Pub & Food), Ipswich Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4BY, ☏ . M-Sa 11:00-23:00, Su 11:00-22:30.
- 5 The Cherry Tree Inn (Pub & Food), 73 Cumberland St, Woodbridge IP12 4AG, ☏ .
- 1 Seckford Hall, ☏ . Tudor period house
- 2 The Station Guest House, Station Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4AU, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 [dead link] The Quay House (B&B), 1 Station Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4AU, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00-19:00. Min 2 night stays. Free Wi-Fi Single occupancy £85/night; Double occupancy £95/night.
- 4 Grove House Hotel (Hotel & Restaurant), 39 Grove Rd, Woodbridge IP12 4LG, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Sutton Hoo Hideaway (B&B), Mulligan House, Sutton Rd, Bromeswell, Woodbridge IP12 3DL, ☏ .
- 6 The Crown at Woodbridge, The Thoroughfare, Woodbridge IP12 1AD, ☏ . Comfy small hotel in 16th century coaching inn, good dining. B&B double £100.
- 1 Post Office, 3 The Turban, The Thoroughfare, Woodbridge IP12 1AA. M 08:30-17:30, T-Sa 09:00-17:30.
|Routes through Woodbridge|
|London ← Ipswich ←||SW NE||→ Saxmundham → Lowestoft|