Framlingham is a small town in Suffolk. The medieval Framlingham Castle is a major feature. It is also home to one of the smallest houses in Britain, known as the "Check House". Converted into a two-storey residence of almost 29 m2 (310 ft²), the former bookmaker's office is in the Mauldens Mill Estate in the town centre. The ground floor measures 20 feet (6.1 m) by 7 feet 3 inches (2.21 m).
A small market town dating back to the Doomsday Book, in 2011 it had a population of around 3,300.
The town has the two oldest functioning Post Office pillar boxes in the UK, dating from 1856, located on Double Street and College Road respectively. In 2006, Country Life magazine voted Framlingham the number one place to live in the country. Framlingham has a conservation area.
Whilst there are road connections from many directions, these are more minor roads (B-roads). The B1120 running NE connects to the A1120 3 miles from the town (the A1120 running to the main A12 to the E and to the A140 to the W). Other B roads connect Framlingham to neighbouring towns. Although only B roads, they are not busy so can be used easily (just not at 70 mph).
The town rail station was closed to passenger traffic in 1950s. The nearest rail stations are
- 1 Wickham Market Train Station, Station Rd, Campsea Ashe, IP13 0PT.
- 2 Saxmundham Train Station, Station Approach, Saxmundham IP17 1BW.
Both stations are on the East Suffolk Line (running between Ipswich and Lowestoft) and stations operated by and services provided by Greater Anglia.
National Cycle Route 1} (Shetland Islands to Dover) runs through the town, to Halesworth, Lowestoft and Norwich to the north and to Woodbridge, Ipswich and Colchester to the south.
Regional cycle Route 40 (HoSR) runs through the town.
Both cycle routes running through the town connect to other cycle routes and are part of the National Cycle Network.
The town it small enough to see on foot. However, much of interest is in the surrounding countryside or nearby villages and would probably need a car.
- 1 Framlingham Castle, Church St, Framlingham IP13 9BP, ☏ +44 1728 724922. 1 Apr-30 Sep: daily 10AM-6PM (more limited through remainder of year). Adults £8.90, children £5.30, concessions £8.00.
- 2 Saxtead Green Post Mill, The Mill House, Saxtead Green, IP13 9QQ (2 miles north-west of Framlingham). Adults £3.60, children £2.20, concessions £3.20.
- 3 The Lanman Museum, Framlingham Castle, Church St, Framlingham IP13 9BP, ☏ +44 7748 482622 (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org. Closed until Summer 2017.
- 4 St Michael's Church, Church St, Framlingham.
- 1 Shawsgate Vineyard (Vineyard Tours & Wine Tasting), Badingham Rd, Framlingham IP13 9HZ, ☏ +44 1728 724060, email@example.com. Book in advance. Experience day (4 hr) for 2 including lunch £86; tour & tasting for 2 £33.
- 2 Saxtead Bottom Riding Stables, Saxtead Bottoms, Framlingham IP13 9QS (2½ miles NW of Framlingham), ☏ +44 1728 724101, firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-hr private lesson £40; 1-hr group lesson £35/person.
- 3 Easton Farm Park (Children's Activity Farm), Easton, Woodbridge IP13 0EQ (4 miles S of Framlingham), ☏ +44 1728 746475, email@example.com. Caravan site, cottages or day visits. £9/person or child.
- 1 Co-op (Supermarket), Market Hill, Framlingham IP13 9AN, ☏ +44 1728 621415. M-Sa 7AM-9PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 2 221B (Artisan Bakery), 1 Bridge St, Framlingham IP13 9DR, ☏ +44 1728 723526. M-Th 6:30AM-5PM, Th F 6:30AM-7PM, Sa 7:30AM-7PM, Su 8:30AM-4PM.
- 1 The Station Hotel, Station Rd, Framlingham IP13 9EE, ☏ +44 1728 723455. Food: M-Sa noon-2PM & 6-9PM, Su noon-2:30PM & 7-9PM. See the castle, then eat like a king in this relaxed eating establishment.
- 2 The Castle Inn (Restaurant), Castle St, Framlingham IP13 9BP, ☏ +44 1728 724033, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 The Railway Inn (Pub & Food), 9 Station Rd, Framlingham IP13 9EA, ☏ +44 1728 724760, email@example.com. Sometimes has live music.
- 2 The Dancing Goat Cafe, 33 Market Hill, Framlingham IP13 9BA, ☏ +44 1728 621434.
- 1 The Crown, Market Hill Framlingham IP13 9AP, ☏ +44 1728 723521, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 The Anmexe (B&B), Wisteria House, 23 Bridge St, Framlingham IP13 9AJ, ☏ +44 1728 621048, email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi. Parking
- 3 New Street B&B, Foxearth, New St, Framlingham IP13 9RF, ☏ +44 1728 724158, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As of Sept 2022, Framlingham has 4G from EE, but no signal from the other UK carriers. 5G has not reached this area.
- Woodbridge with Sutton Hoo (9 miles away)