Harrodsburg, the first permanent English settlement west of the Allegheny Mountains, was the site of a fort built by James Harrod in 1775.
In 1805, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, or Shakertown, was founded when 44 converts to the Shaker religion signed a covenant agreeing to mutual support and the common ownership of property. Dissolved in 1910, it is now preserved as a restored historic landmark.
You'll almost certainly get to Harrodsburg by car.
- Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (Shakertown), 3501 Lexington Rd (US Hwy 68 E), ☎ , toll-free: . Su-Th 10AM-5PM, F-Sa 10AM-8PM; see website for schedule of daily and special events. Shaker Village is America's largest restored Shaker community, with 34 restored buildings and 3,000 acres of preserved farmland. Tours, exhibitions, and activities cover various topics in the historic buildings, working farm, and nature preserve. With a farm-to-table restaurant and lodging in the historic group homes and cottages (both listed below), this can be a unique place to stay, or the focus of a few days' worth of activities. Adults $10, youth (6-12) $5, children free.
- Dixie Belle, Leaves from Shaker Landing, 3501 Lexington Rd, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily Apr 28-Oct 28. Departures at 2PM and 4PM, arrive at Shaker Landing thirty minutes prior to departure. The 115-passenger riverboat located at Shaker Village cruises the scenic Kentucky River palisades. An one hour narrated cruise passes by the oldest exposed rock in Kentucky, and goes under High Bridge built in 1877. The riverboat is accessible to persons with physical disabilities. $10 (13 & above), $5 (6-12), free for children 5 & under.
- Herrington Lake, located in Mercer, Garrard and Boyle counties. Herrrington Lake was formed in 1925 by the damming of the Dix River to create hydroelectric power for Kentucky Utilities. Herrington Lake is the deepest lake in Kentucky with a maximum depth of 249 feet and 325 miles of shoreline.
- Old Fort Harrod State Park, 100 S College St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mar 1-Nov 30: 9AM-5PM daily; Dec 1-Feb 28: M-F 8AM-4:30PM. Brochure. The park has a full-scale replica of the fort built by James Harrod in 1774. The complex also features the Lincoln Marriage Temple and oldest cemetery west of the Allegheny mountains. Apr 1-Oct 31: adults $5, children $3; Nov 1-Mar 31: adults $3, children $1.
- Beaumont Inn Restaurant (Main Dining Room), 638 Beaumont Inn Dr, ☎ , toll-free: . W-F 11:30AM-1:30PM (buffet only for Friday lunch) and 6PM-7:30PM, Sa 6PM-8PM, Su brunch 11AM-1:30PM. The main dining room of the Beaumont Inn. Features The Classic Beaumont Dinner of Fried Chicken & Country Ham. $19.95 The Beaumont Inn is known for their two-year old cured Kentucky country ham. Dinner entree with 2 sides, and salad added $25-30.
- Old Owl Tavern Restaurant, 638 Beaumont Inn Dr, ☎ , toll-free: . M-Th 4PM-9PM, F 4PM-10PM, Sa 11:30AM-10PM. A "bar and grill" restaurant at the Beaumont Inn named for the Kentucky Owl Bourbon Whiskey distilled in the area prior to Prohibition. A casual bar and restaurant with porch dining cooled by ceiling fans and century old shade trees. Features Kentucky Hot Brown and a pulled pork barbecue sandwich.
- The Trustees' Table at Shaker Village, 3501 Lexington Rd (US Hwy 68 E), ☎ , toll-free: . Daily breakfast 7:30AM-10AM, lunch 11:30AM-3PM, dinner 5PM-8:30PM. A farm-to-table restaurant featuring seasonal dishes. Breakfast $7-10, lunch $6-14, dinner $6-25. Reservations suggested.
- Owl's Nest. W-Sa 5PM-10PM. An English-style pub on the grounds of the Beaumont Inn. Serves food. Has TV for viewing sports.
Budget and mid-range
- Bluegrass Inn, 213 S College St (US Hwy 127 S), ☎ . 38 Units. Within walking distance of Old Fort Harrod State Park and downtown. $39-70.
- [dead link] Days Inn, 1680 Danville Rd (US Hwy 127 S), ☎ . 52 units. $49-90.
- Economy Inn, 814 N College St (US Hwy 127 N), ☎ . 20 units. $35-70.
- Country Hearth Inn, 105 Commercial Dr (US Hwy 127 N), ☎ , toll-free: . 40 units. $53-99.
- Beaumont Inn, 638 Beaumont Inn Dr (US Hwy 127 S), ☎ , toll-free: . Four buildings with 31 guestrooms. Wi-fi available in the Main Inn and Goddard Hall buildings. Rates range from approx. $100-175 depending on day of week and season. Special packages available. Discounts available for extended stays.
- Bright Leaf Golf Resort, 1742 Danville Rd (US Hwy 127 S), ☎ , toll-free: . 65 units, 40 villas. 36-hole championship golf course.
- The Inn at Shaker Village, 3501 Lexington Rd (US Hwy 68 E), ☎ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Multiple options for rooms, suites, and private cottages in the historic Shaker community's restored buildings. From $110.
- Southern Charm B&B, 363 N East St, ☎ , toll-free: . Three guest rooms/suites. Close to railroad tracks. Rooms start at $125; Suite $200.
Cottages and camps on Herrington Lake
- Cane Run Fishing Camp & Marina, 326 Cane Run Camp Rd (KY Hwy 152), ☎ . Year-round RV park. Marina open May-Oct 9AM-9PM; Nov–Apr 9AM–6PM. Featuring covered slips, boat launch, and bait shop.
- Chimney Rock Studios, 250 Chimney Rock Rd (KY Hwy 152 E), ☎ .
- Royalty's Cottages, 940 Normans Camp Rd (KY Hwy 152 E to 33 N to 342), ☎ .
|Routes through Harrodsburg|
|Bowling Green ← Campbellsville ←||W E||→ Lexington → Wilmington|
|Frankfort ← Lawrenceburg ←||N S||→ Danville → Crossville|