Hawes is a town in North Yorkshire in the Yorkshire Dales in Wensleydale on the River Ure. It is on the Pennine Way footpath and has two waterfalls. Wensleydale Creamery makes Wensleydale Cheese made famous by Wallace of Wallace and Gromit a British claymation comedy.
Car based Dales explorers have grand if steep and narrow, roads to Swaledale and Wharfedale.
- 1 Dales Countryside Museum, Station Yard, DL8 3NT. Museum run by the National Park Authority in the former Victorian railway station. Adults £4.80.
- 3 High Clint. A limestone edge on the southern shoulder of Lovely Seat, just above Sedbusk.
- 4 Aysgill Force, Beggarmans Rd, DL8 3SF. on Gayles Beck that flows into the River Are
As seen on screen
- Cheese Made in Great Britain Series 1, BBC2. Shows how Wensleydale Cheese is made throughout history and Wensleydale Creamery.
The home of Wensleydale Cheese has a visitor centre with a shop, coffee shop and restaurant 1 Wensleydale Creamery, Wensleydale Creamery, Gayle Ln, Wensleydale, DL8 3RN. Wensleydale Cheese is a crumbly hard cheese.
Try to get to 5 Great Shunner Fell, DL11 6LR (North of Hawes on the Pennine Way). 2,349 ft (716 m) high
Some good antiques.
- The market is on Tuesdays
- 1 Outhwaite Ropemakers. See rope being made in the factory which has a 100ft ropewalk, then buy some rope or a dog lead in the shop.
- 3 Low Mill Guest House, Bainbridge, Leyburn DL8 3EF, ☏ . Just 3 bedrooms in this functioning 18th century watermill, a lovely quirky place. Mostly B&B but serves excellent dinners 2 or 3 nights a week. No children under 15. B&B double £110.
- 4 Yorebridge House, Bainbridge DL8 3EE, ☏ . Grade II Upscale stylish hotel in Victorian schoolhouse, eclectic decor, great dining. B&B double £220.
1 Public Toilet, Market Pl, DL8 3RD.
- South east to Grassington 22.5 mi (36.2 km) via B6160 through the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- South to Settle 22 mi (35 km) via B6255 and B6479 passing the Ribblehead Viaduct and between the 3 peaks
- West to Kendal 26.7 mi (43.0 km) via A684
|Routes through Hawes|
|Edale ← Malham ←||S N||→ Keld → Kirk Yetholm|