The self-proclaimed "Moose Capital of Canada", Hearst is a town in Northern Ontario. It is named after William Howard Hearst, the seventh Premier of Ontario.
Highway 11 runs northwest from North Bay as a northern alternate route in the Trans-Canada Highway system; this route was extended from Hearst through Geraldton to Nipigon in 1943, as a final gravel link which enabled the first complete trip across Canada by motorcar in 1946. This road is now a two-lane paved provincial highway.
Algoma Central Railway passenger service operates on summer and winter schedules with three trains a week going south to Sault Ste. Marie making all station stops and flag stops en route.
Ontario Northland bus services provide daily local service to Cochrane.
OFSC trails connect snowmobilers to various Northern Ontario communities. A trail permit is required to ride on the trails.
- 815 Gallery.
- La Maison Verte.
- The Rock Museum.
- 1 Moose and Wolves statue.
- Front Street
- 1 Boulangerie Pâtisserie chez Coco, 817 George St., ☎ . M-F 10AM-5:30PM.
- 2 Fresh Off the Block, 822 Front St., ☎ .
- 3 John's Restaurant, 826 George St., ☎ . 8AM-9PM. Greek, Canadian, & Italian cuisine
- 4 King's Cafe, 824 George St., ☎ . Tu-Su 11AM-8PM. Canadian and Canadian-Chinese cuisine
- 5 Pizza Place, 1413 Front St., ☎ . M-W 11AM-10PM, Th-SA 11AM-11PM, Su 2PM-10PM. Pizzeria bar & grill
- Rendez-vous Le Companion - Fine dining
- 1 Waverley Bandstand, 931 Front St., ☎ .
- 1 [dead link] Companion Hotel/Motel, 930 Front St., ☎ , toll-free: . Licensed dining room, lounge, sauna, and steam bath, hot tubs, high-speed Internet
- 2 Queen's Motel, 1004 Front St., ☎ , toll-free: . Indoor swimming pool
- 3 Villa Inn & Suites, 1605 Highway 11, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kitchenettes
- 4 TravelInn Hearst, 915 George Street, ☎ , toll-free: . Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM. Free WiFi, kitchenettes, steam bath $89.99 - $129.99 plus tax, double occupancy, 10% discount on advance bookings.
- Sous Mon Toit B&B, 1300 Edward Street, ☎ . Your hostess, Mme. Janine Bourdon. Two comfortable rooms, shared bathroom, continental breakfast, quiet atmosphere in a residential area, located near the hospital, schools, and the fitness trail.
NorthernTel offers 4G HSPA+ (max 21 Mbps) and 1xRTT coverage in Hearst. An analogue cellular service (AMPS, band B) had been provided by Ontera, but that company's GSM footprint now covers Moosonee and Moose Factory only.
The next gas station westbound on Highway 11 is in Longlac, 208 km away. Fill your tank before leaving town.
|Routes through Hearst|
|Thunder Bay ← Longlac ← Jct S ←||W E||→ Kapuskasing → North Bay|