Heinola is located about exactly between Helsinki and Jyväskylä (140 km from each), 100 km south of Mikkeli and some 40 km north of Lahti. Getting in will in practice mean going by car or bus. In the summer there are lake cruises from Lahti.
You can walk around downtown.
- 1 Heinolan Lintutarha, A. F. Aironkatu 3. Heinola Bird Zoo is an aviary that contains more than 500 species of birds.
- Some wooden houses in central Heinola.
- 2 Tähtiniemi bridge. Finland's second longest bridge, which takes motorway 4 across Lake Ruotsalainen.
There are some shops downtown, and about 2 km southwest next to the motorway you can find a large Citymarket mall.
- Lahti — the nearest large city, 40 km south
- The world heritage listed former groundwood and board mill in the village of 1 Verla, about 50 km southeast.
|Routes through Heinola|
|Rovaniemi ← Leivonmäki National Park ←||N S||→ Lahti → Helsinki|