Päijänne Tavastia (Päijät-Häme) is a region in Southern Finland.
The region doesn't have any passenger airports, but there are good connections from the Helsinki region by bus; some places like Lahti and Kärkölä are connected by train too. Tampere (TMP IATA) and Lappeenranta (LPP IATA) airports have some international flights.
Several coach companies serve the region, see Matkahuolto for options. Some routes:
- K14 Helsinki–Lahti–Heinola–Mikkeli–Savonlinna
OnniBus (cheap tickets if bought early enough; little legroom, restrictions on children, no pets or bikes):
- M4 (Helsinki—Lahti—Jyväskylä—Oulu—Rovaniemi)
- M5 (Helsinki—Mikkeli—Kuopio)
- M12 (Tampere—Lahti—Kouvola—Kotka)
- M14 (Helsinki—Lahti—Mikkeli—Savonlinna)
- F24 (Helsinki—Lahti—Jämsä—Jyväskylä)
Train of VR can be used between the few stations were they stop.
- Taksi Häme, ☏ (€2.76/call + €0.35/min - queuing toll-free 1½ min). Hämeenlinna-based company. Can be booked through the 0100 0700 app. Fixed price based on calculated route and time if destination address given when booking by app.
- Lahen Taksi (Kuitusen Keikka Ky), ☏ (high cost: €1.92/call + €1.44/min - queuing toll-free 3 min). Also bookable by app or web. Flag fall M–F 06:00–20:00: €5, Sa €6, other times and holidays: €8; 1–4 persons M-F €1.10/km + €0.80/min, other times €1.10/km + €0.90/min (January 2021).
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä, Cabo, Lahen Taksi
- The radio hill and its long wave masts in Lahti.
- The medieval greystone church of Hollola.
- The ski jumping hills in Lahti, and if you're visiting in the winter there might be a ski jumping event going on there.
- Vääksy canal in Asikkala.
- Birds at Heinola Bird Park
- Boating or canoeing, see Boating in Finland#Keitele–Päijänne–Vesijärvi
- Enjoy a classical music concert in Lahti's Sibelius hall.
- Hit the slopes at Messilä ski center in Hollola.
- Go shopping at one of Lahti's many factory outlets.
- Hike along the Pulkkilanharju trail in Asikkala.
- Drive, bike or walk along the road from Sysmä to Asikkala across several islands of Lake Päijänne.
- Nastolan rautalankafestarit: . A rock'n'roll festival in early July. Arranged by nonprofit Nastola Art Association (date needs fixing)
Päijänne Tavastia region is a safe place.