- 1 Bangor
- 2 Brownville
- 3 Corinth
- 4 Dexter
- 5 Dover-Foxcroft
- 6 East Millinocket
- 7 Greenville
- 8 Hampden
- 9 Millinocket
- 10 Monson
- 11 Old Town
- 12 Orono
- 13 Patten
- 14 Woodville
Drive, or Hike.
- [dead link] One Hundred Mile Sled Dog Race, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Moosehead Lake Rd., Greenville, The 2nd Annual Sled Dog race (2007). Starting at the Katahdin Parking lot going to Brownville and back. Planned for February 10, 2007 with the alternated date of March 17, 2007
- One Hundred Mile Wilderness, Beginning in Monson, this section of the Appalachian trail combines ruggedness in the south end and lakes on the north end to give you a good taste of hiking in Maine. But, it isn't true wilderness, you pass 2 logging highways, and several smaller roads.
- Mount Katahdin, A very impressive mountain range, including Baxter Peak, a high point, well above treeline, at over 5300 feet, that is also the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, and the southern terminus of the International Appalachian Trail. A very tough climb from below 1000 feet if you take the Hunt Trail (AT) Or, maybe not so tough if you start from the very remote Chimney Pond at 2900 feet.
- 1 Baxter State Park, Donated to the state by former governor Percival Baxter, this is a very wild park. Lots of hiking trails. Lots of peaks and lakes and chipmunks.
- Gulf Hagas, An impressive canyon with lots of waterfalls on the west branch of the Pleasant River. A rugged 10 mile day hike, if you have time, or a 5-mile detour off the AT, if you are hiking through. This is on Katahdin Iron Works road, somewhere west of Maine 11.
- Katahdin Iron Works, Ruins of an 1825 Iron Works. The only thing left is the rock/brick furnace, and one (of 9 original) Charcoal Kilns. Ore was mined locally and trees harvested for charcoal, and the pig iron was made here. On Katahdin Iron Works Road, somewhere west of Maine 11.
- Barren Slides, Excellent views with a relatively short (but rugged) day hike. Off the AT, near Elliotsville Road.
Hike, Camp, Hunt, Fish, ATVs
The entire state of Maine isn't about finding modern entertainment. It's about disconnecting and enjoying life and the great outdoors, from the coast to Aroostook County.
Note that the Highlands, Lakes Region, and many areas the further you get from I-95 the worse cell phone reception will be. If you rent an ATV, go camping, or anything involving traveling into Townships or other unpopulated areas, have a plan to get out in an emergency.