Honnamana Kere is a holy and tourist place located in Daddamalthe near Sulimalthe village 6 km away from Somwarpet town. The lake (see picture) is surrounded by beautiful landscape including coffee estates and cliffs. Special pooja (prayer ritual) is offered to the Goddess Honnamma on the Gowri festival every year. Thousands of devotees come to this sacred place on this day and offers pooja to the Goddess Honnamma followed by climbing the cliff. 'Bagina' which consists of sacred belongings of the Goddess is left in the lake. A new temple was built several years back with the aim to improve the place and offer better facilities to the devotees, this was possible by the financial assistance of the people living in the surrounding villages.
The History of Honnamana Kere dates back to centuries. The temple is built for Goddess Honnamma who sacrificed her life for the welfare of the people. The story Kerege Hara was derived from this.
Honnamana Kere is surrounded by beautiful mountains, cliffs and Coffee Plantation.
Flora and fauna
Coffee Plantation is a common sight here. You can also witness some Elephants, Wild Cats etc.
Climate in Coorg is Moderate and Honnamana Kere is no exception. Climate around the year will be between 16 to 27 degrees.
Best time to visit
- Can be visited any time of the year.
Fees and permits
No entry fee.
Coffee plantation, beautiful temple.
- Trekking, hiking & rock climbing. Honnamana Kere is a hotspot for trekking & rock climbing. Adjacent cliffs (Gavi betta and Mori betta) are the favourite places adventure lovers. If you prefer to be relaxed you can take a hike in the coffee plantations.
- Boating & fishing. The relaxed atmosphere at the Honnamana Kere Lake is exquisite for visitors for boating & fishing.
- Authentic Coorg cuisine. Non-veg dishes like pork curry & Kadubittu (rice steamed dumplings), chicken curry & Akki Rotti (rice roti).
- Homemade wine & tody. Homemade wines are available in local shops across Somwarpet and tody is available in the local plantations
There are lodges, homestays and resorts in and around Somwarpet which is 5 km from here.
- Please avoid leaving any plastic bags. They not only make the place look untidy, but can be deadly to the wildlife.