Ialysos is a city in Rhodes. It includes Ixia, a seaside resort village.
Ialysos is the second-largest town on the island of Rhodes. It has a population of approximately 12,000, and is located 8 km west of the town of Rhodes, the island's capital, on the island's northwestern coast. Blue waters, a seemingly endless organized beach, the pleasant cool summer climate and mild winters, big hotel complexes and smaller friendly ones, shops of all kinds, and many night-clubs all contribute to make lalysos bay one of the most popular resorts on the island. Thanks to the ideal conditions of the region, important international windsurfing competitions often take place here.
The beaches have a mixture of sand and pebbles. It is a favourite spot for windsurfers with two water sports centres renting boards and jet-skis.
Ixia has a long narrow beach which is situated near the main road with many small shops, commercial centres, restaurants, casfes and hotels lining the beach strip. The area is popular with tourists.
- The Rhodes International Airport (RHO IATA) or Diagoras International Airport. "Diagoras" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Ρόδου, "Διαγόρας") is 14 km to the south west of Ixia. Paradisi and Theologos (Tholos) lies a few kilometres further down the coast and past the airport.
- Ialysos is one of the most important archaeological sites on the island. Located on the hill of Filerimos, this site would probably be the most important reason for visiting this area. The remains of the temple of Zeus and Athena Poliada and the remnants of the Byzantine fortifications can be seen.
- 14th-century Church of the Knights (the Virgin Mary of Filerimos was worshiped by both the Orthodox and the Catholic faith). The road to Golgothas is path of cypress trees with quite impressive shrines lining both sides.
- Sunsets: relax and view the often spectacular sunsets at Ixia.
The beach can get rather windy with large waves.
Water sports, shopping and visiting the restaurants seem to be popular activities with visitors to this part of the island.
- Windsurfing Ixia is suitable for wind surfing and sailing.
- 1 Olympic Palace Hotel, Leoforos Iraklidon (Ialyssou), Ixia, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. from €90.
- 2 Sheraton Rhodes Resort, Ialyssos Avenue, Ixia ((from Diagoras Airport) 1. Head east toward Kolokotroni/Κολοκοτρώνη 350 m 2. Take the 1st left onto Leoforos Dimokratias/Λεωφόρος Δημοκρατίας 1.7 km 3. Continue onto Leoforos Eleftherias/Λεωφόρος Ελευθερίας 3.8 km 4. Continue onto Leoforos Irakleidon/Λεωφόρος Ηρακλειδών 1.1 km 5. Continue onto Ialysou-Rodou/Ιαλυσού-Ρόδου 600 m 6. Continue onto Rodou-Apolakkias/Ρόδου-Απολακκιάς Destination will be on the right), ☎ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00.
- Electra Palace Resort Rhodes, Trianta Beach, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A five-star all-inclusive hotel, situated on the western coast of Rhodes, consists of two buildings, 20 meters away from the sea front and very near the village of Trianta.
- Villas Duc Hotel Apartments Rhodes, Ialysos, Trianta, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Owned and run by the Douka family, a warm and friendly environment.
- 3 Sun Beach Resort Complex, lalyssos Trianta Area (Approx 10 km from Rhodes Old Town), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Comfortable and elegant rooms, studios and apartments. 4-star hotel a few kilometres away from Rhodes Town. Prices from €57/night.
- Paradisi: A few km past the airport and down the road to south.
- Theologos (Tholos), a few km further past the airport and down the road to south.
- Faliraki: This is Rhodes' action resort. Go there to party. The hotels north from Faliraki are much quieter. Nice beaches, not as windy as on the west coast and served by good public transport. Hotels near the water park are family friendly and not so popular with the 'clubbers'.
- Rhodes Old Town: The biggest city on the island and seat of the local government, also the oldest inhabited medieval town in Europe.