Iffendic is a commune in the department of Ille-et-Vilaine in Brittany. The Meu River goes through the town. It is 20 km from Rennes and is surrounded by Montfort-sur-Meu, Bédée, La Nouaye, Breteil, Pleumeleuc, Talensac, Saint-Gonlay.
Two hypotheses exist concerning the etymology of the name of the town: "district of the yews" ("yews" is "ifs" in French), or "In fine" with the suffix "ic" for "border village" as this territory was at the border of the Coriosolites and the Redones.
Iffendic was at the crossroads of two Roman ways: the north-south way from Corseul to Nantes and the east-west way from Rennes to Carhaix. Traces from the Gallo-Roman period still exist, such as the menhir of Pierre Longue (neolithic) near the villages of La Barre and Vau-Savelin..
Normans devastated the district during the 10th century. A church was rebuilt in 1122 by a certain Jacob, at the place where it is now. In 1189, the church of Iffendic was given to Noirmoutier en Touraine Abbey which founded then a priory in the region. After the settlement of the Benedictines, the diocese of Saint-Malo kept sizable rights in the parish of Iffendic.
The parish was divided into 11 sections, in order to collect taxes: the town centre, Allansac, la Barre, Boutavent, Canlou, Couacurel, Pintillac, Tréez, Tréhieuc, Trévit, and Vaubeuzet.
During the Middle Ages, Iffendic had many buildings in the area, like castles and manors. The castle of Boutavent (12th century) accommodated the Lords of Montfort when the castle of Montfort was destroyed. They stayed in Boutavent for nearly two centuries before settling back to their former castle, the one in Montfort. After that, the site seemed to be abandoned, there is no proof that it was uninhabited at that time.
The population of the town was in favour of the changes brought by the French Revolution, above all after the end of the Reign of Terror. The major revolutionary event is the one celebrating the execution of Louis XVI, accompanied by a hatred oath to royalty and anarchy. It has been celebrated since 1795.
The closest airport is in Rennes.
Railway station of Montfort-sur-Meu, direct lines from Rennes.
Illenoo Bus, line 2 : Breteil, Iffendic, La Nouaye, Montfort-sur-Meu, departing from the railway station of Rennes.
Take RN24 (Rennes / Vannes-Lorient) and exit at Talensac-Montfort.
- Saint Eloi church The Gothic style church Saint-Eloi has a stained glass window (1542). The porch (1607) is topped by a gallery used as an ossuary. The stained glass window and the gate are classified as Historical Monuments by the decree of the 11th of June 1926.
- Saint-Barthelemy chapel The chapel was built in 1883 where a former chapel was built by the Lords of Montfort.
- Castle of Treguil The castle of Treguil is dated at least from the 16th century. It was the property of earls of Montfort and was also part of the defence of the town. The castle, as we can see it nowadays, is a reconstruction from de beginning of the 19th century, around 1820. The northwestern detached house is the oldest part of the castle. It houses a wooden spiral stairway and a fireplace from the 14th or 15th century.
- Former shophouses in the town centre Traces from the medieval commercial activity of the town can be seen thanks to several shophouses in the town centre.
- Castle of Breil It was built around 1860-1863. It had a neo-Renaissance style but had been damaged by a fire in June 1903.
- Castle of Le Pin This residence was built during the 19th century on the site of a former manor.
- Valley of the Chambre au Loup Near the land of Trémelin, the valley of the Chambre au loup has been dug by a subsidence due to rifts which appeared in the fold of the schist, and to the erosion caused by the river. This valley is also called the "small canyon".
- Land of Trémelin The land of Trémelin is a natural site stretching over more than 220 hectares. The site has a big forest, moors, and areas classified as a natural area of ecological interest.
- Land of Careil Departmental natural area of 96 hectares, the land of Careil gathers many birds of many different species.
- Land of Boutavent Near the land of Trémelin and the Chambre au loup, the land of Boutavent is marked with the imprint of an old feudal castle built by the Lords of Montfort (from the 11th to the 14th centuries). It also constitutes a "conservatory" of landscapes where forests, moors and hedged farmlands are next to each other.
- Arboretum Created in 2003, the arboretum offers a place for a walk in the heart of the town of Iffendic. Sculptures of local artists can also be seen on the edge of the Meu River.
- Forest of Iffendic It stretches over more than 300 hectares and is principally located around the land of Trémelin, the Chambre au Loup and themill on Le Casse. The trees are mostly oaks, beech and pines.
- Valley of Le Casse Adorned of rocky puddingstone blockfield, big cracks cut the rock. In one of them, an oak seems to be fixed to the side.
- L'Aparté, is a structure in the district of Montfort, on the land of Trémelin. It is a place for contemporary art which opened its doors in May 2010. Every year, there will be 4 to 5 temporary exhibitions. This contemporary art space is also a place where schools of the district of Montfort can come and learn about art and participate to educational activities led by artists.
- Land of Boutavent Discover the natural, historical and medieval site endowed with an archaeological value.
- Trémelin leisure base Many activities are offered:
- Tree climbing circuit from 3 years old, 4 circuits for all ages. - Electrical boats, pedalo, canoeing. - Bungee trampoline, mini-golf, playgrounds. - Supervised swimming in summer. - Challenges, track games. - Hikes, horse-rides and ATV. - Accommodation, gastronomy, and reception of groups on the scene all year. - Paint-Ball.
- Climbing Climbing site in the valley of the Chambre au Loup which has a dozen of different climbing circuits.
- Horse riding - Equestrian activities centre of Les Quatres Routes in Iffendic.
- Les Vieux Verger Apple juices and vegetables.
- La Brasserie de l'Ombre. Brewed beers composed of biological barley from Brittany.
- Restaurant Du Lac Restaurant in the heart of Trémelin. Bar, car park, terrace, accommodations as well.
- Les Quatre Routes Traditional cooking, couscous a speciality, workmen meals.
- Restaurant Le Breton. Traditional cooking, home speciality: couscous, head of veal, paella.
- Le Saint Michel 35750 Iffendic
- Hôtel Le Breton. Hotel in the heart of the market town.
- Le Pin. Country castle with a chapel and a pigeon loft, recently renovated.
- Le Logis de la Cornillère. In the heart of a vast tract planted with trees and a pond.
- Monsieur Leborgne Guesthouse designed for big families.
- La Roche Trébulente Guesthouse adjoining to the owner's.
- Le Boc-es-Chênes. Guesthouse on two levels is adjoining the owners' residence. Totally renovated with ecological materials.
- Domaine de Trémelin. Village of 20 guesthouses which can accommodate between two and six people.
- Le Logis de l'étang de l'Aune. Independent stone house with character and near the owner's property.
- La Guerche Spacious and well-designed to accommodate a big family.
- La Coudray Stone guesthouse near the valley of the Chambre au Loup and the Land of Trémelin.
- [dead link] Le Val Ory. A house dating from the 18th century in the middle of a woods.
- La Fontaine Garel. B&B near the Land of Trémelin and pedestrian paths of the GR37.
- Land of Trémelin. Camp-site on a natural and wooded site around a lake.