Europe > Central Europe > Switzerland > Graubünden > Surselva > Ilanz
- By Plane and Train
Trains run frequently from Zurich Hauptbahnhof, changing in Chur, taking in the spectacular Rhine gorge shortly before arriving in Ilanz. Zurich is the nearest International Airport, other options include the Milan and Friedrichshafen airports.
The Post Buses run to every conceivable village including nearby, including Vals, Vrin, Obersaxen, Laax Dorf, Ladir, Ruschein. The open-air terminal is opposite the train station. The town centre is manageable on foot, yet the outskirts may need a bike to reach quickly.
The main street of Ilanz curves to the left after crossing the railway. The train station is accessed on the left immediately after the crossing. On the bend of the road a wide cobbled semi- pedestrianised street flows to the right, this is where markets are held every Saturday, selling staple foods as well as local specialities, e.g. Bundner Fleisch (a cured beef) and Salzis (similar to salami). This street leads into the old quarter.
- Ilanz Museum, ☎ . Winter: Tuesdays, Saturdays and every first Sunday of the month from 14:00–17:00 Summer: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and every first Sunday of the month from 14:00–17:00. The museum is on the subject of Romansch and Surselvan culture
The old town is made entirely of cobbled streets, with solid stone buildings lining the narrow way, the occasional tower.or steeple looming above. They generally have brightly painted and patterned shutters and hefty wooden doors, a charming part of town ideal for spending a sunny afternoon (very briefly) getting lost in.
- [dead link]River Rafting.
Just down-river from Ilanz is the Rhine gorge, also known as the Swiss Grand Canyon, a gorge cut out of the white rock by the Vorderhein. The sheer white 300 metre cliffs make a stunning albeit short experience.
Veloland Schweiz Route 2 runs straight through Ilanz
- Restaurant/Hotel Sil Plaz, Sagogn, ☎ , fax: . Price per night and person Fr. 35-60, - without breakfast.
- The villages of 1 Ruschein and 2 Ladir are a short bus ride away. The 1 church in Ruschein is located on a hill next to the village and boasts nice views and a rich history.
- 3 Sagogn is a smaller town nearby. It is an alternative if you want to avoid the busy resorts of Flims and Laax.