Europe > Central Europe > Switzerland > Graubünden > Surselva > Ilanz
The railway station in Illanz has one hourly connection in each direction: From Disentis (35 min), where trains arrive from Andermatt and the Valais. And from Scuol (2h 50min), Klosters (2h 5min), Chur (35 min) through the spectacular Rhine gorge. From Zurich and most other parts of Switzerland, you have to change in Chur.
The fastest way to Ilanz for most travelers will be from the west. Exit the A13 highway in Reichenau and follow the main road to Ilanz. From the east, coming from Disentis or over any of the passes, also follow the main road towards Ilanz.
The Post Buses run to every conceivable village including nearby, including Vals, Vrin, Obersaxen, Laax Dorf, Ladir, Ruschein. The open-air terminal is opposite the train station. The town centre is manageable on foot, yet the outskirts may need a bike to reach quickly.
The main street of Ilanz curves to the left after crossing the railway. The train station is accessed on the left immediately after the crossing. On the bend of the road a wide cobbled semi- pedestrianised street flows to the right, this is where markets are held every Saturday, selling staple foods as well as local specialities, e.g. Bündner Fleisch (a cured beef) and Salzis (similar to salami). This street leads into the old quarter.
- 1 Museum Regiunal Surselva, Städtlistrasse 10, ☎ . Tu, Th Sa and every first Sunday of the month from 14:00–17:00. Closed for two months in spring and autumn. The museum is on the subject of Romansch and Surselvan culture Fr. 8/4.
The old town is made entirely of cobbled streets, with solid stone buildings lining the narrow way, the occasional tower or steeple looming above. They generally have brightly painted and patterned shutters and hefty wooden doors, a charming part of town ideal for spending a sunny afternoon (very briefly) getting lost in.
- 2 Mulin Schnaus (Take the bus to Strada and walk for 15 minutes). Jul-mid Aug Sa 13:30-17:00. An old mill where ploughs used to be manufactured. Fr. 7/3.
- River Rafting.
Just down-river from Ilanz is the Rhine gorge, also known as the Swiss Grand Canyon, a gorge cut out of the white rock by the Vorderhein. The sheer white 300 metre cliffs make a stunning albeit short experience.
Veloland Schweiz Route 2 runs straight through Ilanz
- 1 Landgasthof Glenner, Glennerstrasse 40, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. closed on Wednesdays.
- The villages of 1 Ruschein and 2 Ladir are a short bus ride away. The 3 church in Ruschein is located on a hill next to the village and boasts nice views and a rich history.
- 3 Sagogn is a smaller town nearby. It is an alternative if you want to avoid the busy resorts of Flims and Laax.