|Daily highs (°F)||72||75||81||88||96||103||107||107||102||92||80||71|
|Nightly lows (°F)||45||48||55||61||68||74||80||80||74||64||52||44|
Data from NOAA (1981-2010)
Palm Springs International Airport (IATA: PSP). Located in the nearby city of Palm Springs. Daily flight connections serve most major cities throughout the United States and Canada from most major airlines. Some airlines serving Palm Springs Airport are seasonal and operate only during the busier winter season. One-way taxis from Palm Springs Airport to Indio take 30 minutes and cost about $50.
El Centro/Imperial County Airport (IATA: IPL), is the second closest commercial airport to Indio with regularly scheduled passenger flights. It is located about 65 miles south of Indio and has two daily flights on United Airlines. Imperial County's small airport has free parking and a motel on-site, but there are no public transportation connections to Indio.
LA/Ontario International Airport (IATA: ONT) in Ontario, about 100 miles to the west of Indio, is a mid-sized international airport served by most major airlines. There is no public transportation to Indio from Ontario Airport.
Bermuda Dunes Airport is just a few miles from Indio and is one of two nearby general aviation airports. This airport is accessed by private aircraft. Private jet charter services are provided at this airport by Desert Jet.
Indio has international bus service from two major companies, Greyhound and Crucero. Connecting buses to Phoenix, Bakersfield, and Los Angeles are every 15 to 30 minutes. At least six direct buses serve Mexicali, BC from Indio's bus station daily with additional connecting service available to Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana. Sun Line's local bus routes provide a connection from the bus station to other Desert cities. Indio's library, post office, and courthouse are within a 10-minute walk. Indio's current bus terminal is scheduled to be relocated to a new intermodal transit center at 83100 Indio Boulevard in the near future.
Amtrak California's Thruway Bus Service Route 19b serves Indio twice daily, with direct connections to Amtrak trains in Bakersfield. The bus stop is located at 83100 Indio Boulevard. Route 19B originates in Indio and also stops at Palm Springs Airport and San Bernardino's train station. Amtrak California's Thruway service is especially useful if you are traveling by train to Indio from either the Bay Area or Sacramento, as it bypasses Los Angeles.
SunLine Transit Agency serves Indio on bus routes 80, 81, 90, 91, and 111. Bus fare is $1.00 and unlimited transfers cost $.25 cents. All SunLine buses accommodate bicycles. Aside from route 111 which comes every 15 to 25 minutes, other bus routes are much less frequent.
Taxis are regulated by the SunLine Transit Agency. Taxi fares have a maximum base rate of $2.50 plus $2.96 per mile. Any taxis stopping at the airport in Palm Springs have a $2.50 surcharge. There are a number of private taxi companies serving Indio. Distances in the Coachella Valley are far apart, so be prepared for a hefty price if you are taking a taxi from Indio to Palm Springs or Palm Desert.
The City of Indio has an extensive bicycle route plan which connects to other desert cities. As the city is mostly flat, bicycling is a relatively easy way to get around.
There are a few Car Rental agencies in Indio. Hertz has a local branch at 81246 Highway 111 in Indio. Enterprise also has a local rental office at 82360 Highway 111.
- Coachella Valley Historical Museum.
- Indio is the home of the world-famous Coachella Music Festival, Empire Polo Field, 81-800 Avenue 51. A large music festival in the desert near Palm Springs, it takes place over two weekends in the Spring. $85 per day or $249 for a 3 day pass.
- Indio is also where the Stagecoach Music Festival takes place, also at the Empire Polo Grounds. Stagecoach is a country music festival usually held sometime in the spring.
The Brown Jug at 83041 Indio Boulevard and Sherman's Liquor and Food Store at 45820 Oasis Street are excellent purveyors of fine libations. Musicians and artists headed to the annual Coachella Festival often make a pilgrimage to these two establishments, both located in downtown Indio, in order to stock up for the long festival weekend. This is where they get the supplies needed to "party like a rock star."
- 1 Shield's Date Garden Store and Café, 80-225 U.S. Highway 111, ☎ . Store: 9AM–5PM daily; cafe: 7AM–2:30 PM daily, 4:30PM–9PM Tu–Sa. Counter in store is the best place in Indio for a date milkshake. Store sells date gift packs and souvenirs and has a small theatre with continuous showings of an interesting video about date farming. Cafe serves American and Mexican food, $10–$45.
- Best Western Date Tree Hotel, 81909 Indio Blvd, ☎ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express, 84-096 Indio Springs Dr, ☎ .
- Motel 6 Indio - Palm Springs Area, 82195 Indio Blvd, ☎ , fax: .
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino, 84245 Indio Springs Dr, toll-free: .
- City Center Motel, 83597 Indio Blvd, ☎ .
|Routes through Indio|
|San Bernardino ← Palm Desert ←||W E||→ Coachella → Blythe|
|END ←||N S||→ Coachella → El Centro|
|Palm Springs ← Indian Wells ←||N S||→ Coachella → El Centro|