Isiolo is a city in Kenya.
Isiolo is the "last stop" before traveling off the paved road to the towns of Marsabit and Moyale in northern Kenya. Be very aware that Isiolo is not the safest place on earth, and the lorries that take you to Moyale leave in the small hours of the night. If you are on your own, hire somebody to protect you from the thugs.
There are Buses & Minivans to/from
- Minivans to Nanyuki and Isiolo can be boarded in the River Road area of Nairobi. See the Nairobi section on Wikivoyage for more information.
There is very little to do in Isiolo. The social life in the town revolves around drinking and chewing Miraa (qhat). There is a nightclub in town that plays mostly early 90's techno-pop
- Equity Bank. 24 hours atm. has a Master card/Visa card atm.
- Salama Hotel, at the main road. Mains from 100 KSh (beans with rice) to 300 KSh (meat dishes). Chapati 25 KSh, milk tea 20 Ksh.
- Jamhuri Guest house, near the main square, singles from 800 Ksh., self contained from 900 Ksh.
- Mocharo Lodge, near the main square, from 900 Ksh.
- Al Aswad Hotel for food and sleep. 900 ksh.
- Josera Guest House, ☎ 07252228482. from Ksh 900.
The lorries to Moyale leave usually in the small hours of the night. If you tell the touts the night before, they will wake you as soon as the lorries arrive. A ride on top of a goods lorry to Moyale will cost around 1500 Ksh, if you want to ride in the cabin (recommended) then you pay between 2000 to 3000 Ksh, although negotiations will start much higher. There are still certain dangers of being robbed on the road to Moyale, so be aware and keep your eyes open. The shifta (tribal robbers) on the other hand rarely attack foreigners, they are more into cattle theft. It makes sense not to flash expensive cameras and electronics while you are on the route.