The town's only attraction is that it is on the border of Bhutan. Otherwise, it has a dearth of sites of interest and totally lacks charm. However, as many Bhutanese like to cross the border to take advantage of India's cheaper telephone/e-mail rates and restaurant prices, the town does offer a wide selection of eateries and telephone offices.
From Phuentsholing, walk over. There is only the border gate that divides the two towns.
Buses traveling to/from Phuentsholing make a stop here.
Different Buses are coming from Siliguri P.C Mittal Bus Terminus. Reserve cars also available from Kings Travels, dial-098304-28401/ 093319-39486.
The town is small and can be covered on foot, though an autorickshaw is recommended for the journey from the main bus terminal, which is located slightly out of town. Jaigaon lacks quality infrastructure, and during the rainy season the streets are muddy and difficult to negotiate on foot.
- Non-Bhutanese or Indian citizens exiting or entering Bhutan are required to get their passport stamped at the Indian immigration office, which is located next to the cinema hall (there is a fork in the road when entering the town - marked by a statue - immigration is a short way up the road on the left). Indians can get a permit to visit Thimphu or other parts of Bhutan by submitting proof of identity proof, such as an election card or passport, at the Bhutanese immigration office.
- Make telephone calls and send e-mails as the rates here are much lower than in Phuentsholing.
- Asian Book Distributors, J.P. Centre, N.S. Road., ☎ . As a supplier of book stores in Bhutan, AB Books is an excellent place to pick up titles on subjects related to Bhutan and Buddhism and at much cheaper prices than over the border
Move towards Phuentsholing. There are liqueur stores; Royal Bhutan. which also imports and Sonam Main Liqueur Shop where you can find Phuentsholing and Jaigaon at good prices.
- Hotel Devi, N.S Road, (Super market chowpati), ☎ , . Could be a better place to have freshly cooked food,it has a very cozy homely environment.
- Hotel Kasturi, could be a good choice. Rooms are clean and moderately well furnished. Rates are moderate.
- Hotel satyam, near bhutan gage,n.s road jaigaon, ☎ , . Best hotel at Jaigaon with maximum no. of rooms & parking facilities. Total rooms:24
- Hotel Prasant, Shah Building, N.S. Road, Distt. Jalpaiguri,, ☎ . New hotel with 35 rooms, Mobile: 91-92312-75394,
The banks in Jaigaon are not authorized to change foreign currency.