Siliguri has a population of half a million (around one million for the entire metropolitan area), making it the third-largest city in West Bengal.
With massive developments in recent times, the city has grown from a small, sleepy town into one of the most important commercial hubs in north east India. Sprawling and boisterous, modern condominiums dominate the landscape on entering the city, followed by streets of market stalls that surround a core of up-scale shops and shopping malls.
Due to its position as a shopping and business hub and a centre of learning, the city enjoys a sophistication and range of shopping usually only associated with the metro cities. It is also known for its liberal and laid back atmosphere and vibrant music scene.
Siliguri is the only city in West Bengal other than Kolkata to have a commercial airport and, perhaps due to the high concentration of colleges, institutes and private schools, the city has the highest literacy rates in the state. Traditionally, Siliguri has been known for the four 'T's — tourism, timber, tea and transport — and is the gateway to Darjeeling, Sikkim, Bhutan and the North East.
- Siliguri has three railway stations: New Jalpaiguri, Siliguri Junction and Siliguri Town. These stations connect Siliguri with different places across India. New Jalpaiguri is about a twenty- to thirty-minute ride from the city center. Now Siliguri Junction also has some long distance trains including Mahananda Express (from New Delhi) and Kanchankanya Express (from Sealdah).
Siliguri Bus Station is located across the street from the Sher-e-Punjab Hotel on Hill Cart Road (Tenzing Norgay Road).
- There are regular buses to/from Kolkata. The well-known and comfortable Siliguri Rocket, run by the North Bengal State Transport Corporation (NBSTC), leaves Kolkata at 8 PM arriving Siliguri at 8 AM (₹245). Some private bus lines also ply the route. The 'Royal Cruiser' Volvo buses run by Gupta Travel (Tel: +91 353 251-3451) leaves Kolkata at 8 PM arriving Siliguri at 9 AM (₹745 AC/₹325 non-AC).
- Under a joint understanding between Indian and Bangladeshi transport authority, there are regular bus services to/from Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh. BRTC (Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation) buses leave Dhaka every night at 8 PM and reach India-Bangladesh border at Changrabanda post at early morning. These buses will not cross the border and the passengers have to clear customs, walk a few hundred yards to cross the border and board the waiting Indian buses for another three-hour ride to Siliguri. The buses are air conditioned, very comfortable and depart on time. One-way fare from Dhaka to Siliguri is between USD 20 to 25, depending on conversion rates.
- There is a regular bus service from Phuentsholing in Bhutan and the Bhutanese border town of Jaigon. The bus from Phuentsholing heading towards Siliguri leaves at 7 am, 7:30 am, 8:15 am and 3 pm daily and takes approximately 4.5 hrs.
- 1 Bagdogra Airport (IXB IATA) (just 14 km from the heart of Siliguri). The closest major international airport, has links with most major Indian cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Guwahati, while a number of airlines operate flights to/from Bangkok. The Druk Air flights on the Bangkok route begin or terminate in Paro, Bhutan. Taxis are available from the airport to Siliguri, as well as to Darjeeling and Gangtok, though these are expensive. Cheaper options are available from Siliguri bus station.
Moving in and around Siliguri is cheap. Cycle-rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, buses, taxis are easily available in almost every part of the city. Cycle-rickshaws can be hired to move around within the radius of 1-2 km. The fares are pretty nominal. To go about 5-10 km, one can hire/share auto-rickshaws. Electric rickshaws are a comfortable and common means of transport in Siliguri and cost Rs20 from point A to B on fixed routes. Cars can be hired from several agencies.
- 1 New Jalpaiguri railway station.
- 2 Siliguri Junction railway station.
- 3 Siliguri Town railway station.
- Buddha Mundir Monastery, Buddha Mundir Road, Salbari (Salibari). A monastery established by the Nyingma yogi, Chatral Sangye Dorji Rinpoche
- 1 Coronation Bridge (Sevoke Bridge) (At Sevoke. This is about 23 km from the city on way to Gangtok/Kalimpong and Dooars on the National Highway 31.). One can see the turbulent Teesta roaring below.
- Dudhia, Siliguri-Mirik Highway. A picturesque tourist spot
- Khordong Byangter Monastery, Dhansara (On road to Darjeeling, near NJP Station), ☎ , . A monastery is in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. Accommodation available at the compound.
- [dead link]Iskcon Temple. International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), also known as Hare Krishna Movement manages the ISCKON temple, Siliguri. The temple houses many beautiful idols of Advaita Acharya, Lord Narasimha, Lord Chaitanya and many more.
- 2 Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary (At Sukna.). This is a wildlife sanctuary at the foothills of the Himalayas. Vehicles can be hired to enter the sanctuary at a minimal charge. While many different types of animals live at the sanctuary, wild elephants and peacocks are its most famous inhabitants. Note that the sanctuary is closed during the rainy seasons (15th July to 15th September).
- Madhuban Park, Sukna (towards Darjeeling). A spacious park known for its manicured lawns, pathways and children's play areas.
- North Bengal Wild Animals Park, Ashrampara, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,. The park contains, a leopard, tiger, rhino, deer and Himalayan black bear safari, bird aviaries, small cats compound, crocodile ponds and a botanical trail
- 3 Science City (At Matigara). The campus has a museum, a planetarium and an Interpretation Centre that displays various type of flora.
- 4 Sed-Gyued Institute of Buddhist Studies, Salugara. 15 - 20 minutes from the downtown. The institute was inaugurated by the Dalai Lama in 1999, and belongs to the Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. The compound includes a 100-foot Tashi Gomang Stupa.
- Sevoke Kali Mandir (At Sevoke.). This is around 20 kms from Siliguri, near the Coronation Bridge. This is a temple of goddess Kali, the goddess of destruction, and is considered very holy. People from far off places come here to pray and worship her.
- Surya Sen Park, Mahakal Pally. A children's park with green lawns, fountains, toy train, alternative energy exhibition, and picnic areas. Rs5.
- Tea Gardens (At Dagapur / Sukna). Siliguri is at the heart of a tea growing area.
- 5 Triratna Monastery, Salbari. 15 - 20 minutes from Siliguri. A monastery in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Biddhism
- Blue Mountain Club. A relaxing country-club with landscaped gardens. Membership required to use club facilities.
- Darjeeling Riders, B35, Satellite Township, Dabgram, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. Bike rentals, specializing in tours to Bhutan, Darjeeling, and Sikkim
- Dreamland Amusement Park, Ghoshpukur Canal Road, Fulbari, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-7PM. An amusement and theme park.
- 1 Kunchenjunga stadium. Matches, exhibitions and varied events.
- Netaji Indoor Stadium. Exhibitions and varied events.
- 2 Savin Kingdom, ☎ . Dagapur (near Darjeeling More). An amusement and water park located among tea plantations.
- Swimming. Viramma Club, Siliguri Club, Cinderella Club, Stadium Swimming Pool
- Tea Estate Tours. Visit the serene and spacious tea farms located in and around the city.
Basically, Silguri sells its wares on three streets - Hill Cart Road, Bidhan Road and Sevoke Road. The former offers more traditional stores and is home to many of the city's hotels, Sevoke is home to several upscale shopping malls and is the center of the city's banking, while Bidhan Road is primarily known for the street markets that span out from the thoroughfare. .
As the centre of a tea growing area, Siliguri is an excellent place to pick up some Darjeeling and other brands of the leaf.
- Fab India, Cosmos Mall, Sevoke Road and City Centre Mall, Matagari - two large branches of the national chain that specializes in hand spun material and natural soaps and cosmetics.
- ChiPan, Hill Cart Road (opposite Hill Cart Road Bus Station), Tel: 91 81458-99825 - Good selection of Darjeeling tea for retail and wholesale.
- City Centre (Uttarayon). A huge mall offering major brands, international chain eateries, and live music events.
- City Mall, Sevoke Road
- Cosmos Mall (Sevoke Road). A large and up-scale mall.
- Vega Circle Mall (check post, Sevoke Road). Includes an INOX movie theatre, hotel and international stores.
- Bidhan Market, Near the Kanchenjunga Stadium. The oldest and largest street market in Siliguri, Bidhan Market meanders along streets and alleys and is particularly bustling and atmospheric at night.
- Hong Kong Market, a pedestrianized street near Bidhan Market. Specializes in imported goods - mostly from China, but also from other Asian countries such as Nepal, Thailand, etc. However, beware of duplicate items. Even items made in Delhi stamped with "Made in China" are being sold here. Keep in mind that the actual price of the item will be 1/2 or 1/3rd of the price the shopkeeper asks.
- Nivedita Market
- Seth Srilal Market. Buzzing market in the heart of the city, where you might get the best deals. Also famous for its momo gali.(momo street)
Due to a high number of Nepalese and Tibetans living in Siliguri, the city offers an excellent selection of authentic Tibetan and Nepali delicacies. In addition, there are also several good quality restaurants specializing in Western and Chinese cuisine as well as a considerable number of US fast food outlets.
- Aagan - the Global Cuisine Restaurant, 1st Floor, Shanti Tower, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road,, ☎ . Chinese, Italian and Indian cuisine - pure vegetarian. Open kitchen. Modern decor.
- Amber's Restobar (Saluja Residency), Hill Cart Road, ☎ , , . Multi-cuisine restaurant and bar
- Around the Corner, Patel Road By-Lane, Near Biswadeep cinema hall, Pradhan Nagar. Tel: 91 9593296761. Quality Italian, American and British Cuisine.
- Badshah Biryani Hut, Rishi Aurobindo Road, ☎ . Excellent Biriyani along with several other cuisines.
- Bedwin, Bidhan Market, Old Bus Stand, ☎ . Known for its delicious Biryani.
- Bhojohari Manna (Hotel Golden Moments), 143 Hill Cart Road. Bengali cuisine
- The Cinderella Hotel, 3rd Mile, Sevok Road, ☎ , . Amrapali - Vegetarian multi-cuisine restaurant, Recoil - Bar, Sizzler - discotheque for private parties, Patio - Roof-top restaurant-cum-bar.
- Havelli, Hill Cart Road. An excellent restaurant for fish and mutton items. Also offers high standard Chinese and continental dishes. Cool decor.
- Hi Spirits Cafe and Pub, City Centre Mall. Tel:91353-2576105. Lebanese, Mexican, Chinese and Tibetan dishes cooked to a very high standard. Live music.
- Indian Pagoda, Sevoke Road. Authentic Chinese cuisine.
- Kalpana (Near Siliguri Town railway station). Bengali cuisine
- Kalpatru Pice Restaurant, Ramkrishna Commercial Complex, Sevoke Road, ☎ . Bengali cuisine
- Momo Gali, .Seth Srilal Market (Near Margaret School, within easy walking distance of Siliguri Bus Stand). A street of restaurants and stalls selling fantastic momos
- Marina's Hotel, Bihar More Bagdogra, West Bengal-734014, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. This serene motel in a colonial-style building is 12 km from Savin Kingdom and 13 km from the Jore Pokhri Wildlife Sanctuary. Warmly furnished rooms feature TVs and garden views. Upgraded rooms add sitting areas and sofas. Kids age 11 and under stay free with an adult. There's a Northern Indian and Chinese restaurant, as well as a private dining room for events and family gatherings. There's also a bakery, a furnished terrace and a garden.
- Monarch Restaurant, 10 Sevoke Rd, ☎ . Famous for Indian, Tandoori and Chinese dishes.
- New Zaika Biryani House, Hill Cart Road, ☎ . Mughlai dishes
- Ranjit, Hill Cart Road. South Indian cuisine plus others
- [dead link]Red Dragon, Nivedita Road, Pradhan Naga, ☎ . High standard and authentic Chinese and Tibetan cuisine.
- Rasoi, Sevoke Road. South Indian and Chinese cuisine
- Rasoraj, Mahabirsthan.
- Sagar Family Restaurant, Golden Enclave Building,Near Ravi Auto, 2nd Mile,Sevoke Road, ☎ . A vegetarian restaurant offering Chinese, Indian, Italian and continental dishes.
- Sartaj, Hill Cart Road, ☎ . Good food, good ambience
- Sharma Sweets, Mahabirsthan.
- Steamy Moktu, 94, Udham Singh Sarani, Ward 13, Punjabi Para, Siliguri-734001, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:00 - 22:00 (Hours might differ on Gandhi Jayanti). Asian fusion restaurant.
- Tai Wah, Sri Bhavan building, ground floor, Hill Cart Road (Opposite Century Park), ☎ . Chinese cuisine.
- [dead link]The Palms (Sinclairs), ☎ . 7.30 am to 11 pm. Also: O3 lounge bar, 5 to 10.30 pm.
- Tibet Restaurant, 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road, Salugara Bazar, Salugara. Simple and authentic Tibetan cuisine
- Viramma, Viramma Resort, Dagapur..
As Siliguri is located at the heart of a tea growing area, it has traditionally been associated with tea. However, following the international trend, coffee culture has made inroads in the city and there are now numerous branches of cafe chains as well as a growing number of independent coffee shops in and around Siliguri.
With a young, educated, and liberal population, Siliguri enjoys a vibrant and lively pub scene.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Bidhan Road (next to Hotel Dolly)
- Cafe Coffee Day, Basement, Cosmos Mall, 2nd Mile Sevoke Road.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Savin Plaza, Dagapur, Cinemax.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Bidhan Market near Panitanki More
- Cafe Coffee Day, near Khela Ghor More
- Cuppa Jarva, 2nd Mile Sevoke Road. Tel: 91 353 254 5632. Cool independent coffee shop.
- Dark Horse Coffee Shop, Opposite JCB Showroom, Hill Cart Road, Salbari, ☎ . 1-9PM. A cool cafe with outdoor seating. Coffee and meals.
- Netaji Cabin, Bidhan Market. A rustic traditional tea house located in the heart of a bustling street market. Netaji offers chai and simple and tasty meals.  Open: 7AM-10PM.
- Hashtag, 3F. The Planet Building, Sevoke Road (Above PC Jewellers), ☎ . 12-11:30PM. European-style pub. live music, dancing, pizza, continental cuisine.
- Hi Spirits Cafe & Pub, C0206, 2F, City Centre Mall, Uttorayon, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 1-11PM. Casual dining pub-cafe with live and recorded music. Oriental, continental, Tex-mex, Himalayan cuisine. Well stocked bar
- O3 in Sinclairs. Worth checking out for a nice evening drink and snacks.
- Open House Cafe, 3rd Floor, Infinity Square, Sevoke Road, ☎ . 2-11:30PM. Live movie, hip hop, Rustic and warm interiors with Italian comfort food. alcohol and coffee. A very happening place in the heart of Siliguri/
- Tanzanite, 3F. Central Park Building, Sevoke Road, 2nd Mile (Ahead of Cosmos Mall, before PC Mitral Bus Stand), ☎ . Mon-Thurs: 1:30-10:30PM, Fri-Sun: 1:30-11:45PM. Disco. Bar and restaurant. Sophisticated, urban decor. Good food.
- Zorb Discotheque and Lounge, Saluja Residency, Level-1, Hill Cart Road, ☎ . 11AM-11PM. Dance and night club, lounge, hookah lounge
- 1 Athithi Guest House, Hill Cart Road. A well maintained hotel at low rates with AC and non-AC rooms.
- Dewan's Hotel (near New Jalpaiguri railway station), ☎ . A simple hotel located just outside New Jalpaiguri (NJP) Station. After exiting station, turn into first alley on right (adjacent to the taxi parking lot). The hotel is at the end of the alley.
- Hotel Golden Moments, 143 Hill Cart Road (Near Hasmi Chawk), ☎ , , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-AC double room: ₹753-2249, AC double room: ₹942-2698.
- Hotel Ranjit, 44, Hill Cart Road, Mahanandapara, ☎ , .
- 2 Nine Ten Hotel, Navin Sen Circle, Sevoke Road (near Gurdwara), ☎ . Check-out: 12 noon. up to ₹1,000.
- 3 Hotel Central Plaza, ☎ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Located about five minute taxi ride from main bus station. Clean and acceptable facilities. ₹650 non A/C to ₹3,500 for suite.
- 4 Hotel Heritage, ☎ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Conveniently located across from the city's main interstate bus station, Heritage is a well maintained and efficiently run hotel. ₹900 non A/C to ₹2,500 for suite.
- 5 Mainak Tourist Lodge, Hill Cart Road, Pradhan Nagar., ☎ . Basic restaurant, but modern and smart rooms. Standard: single/double - ₹1,200.
- 6 Hotel Manila, ☎ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Located next to Hotel Heritage. ₹600 non A/C to ₹2,400 for suite.
- 8 Barsana Hotel, ☎ . Khaprail Road, Matigara. A beautiful hotel with all the modern amenities. Very reasonable as per the infrastructure and facilities.
- Club Montana Vista, Matigara NH-31, ☎ . A modern and chic hotel located among landscaped gardens.
- 10 [dead link]Hotel Sinclairs, ☎ . Pradhan Nagar. A well maintained hotel with good facilities. Located about a five minute taxi ride from main bus station.
- Hotel Vinayak, 35, Hill Cart Road (Near Punjab National Bank), ☎ , .
- 11 Royal Sarovar Portico, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road. A smart hotel located on the outskirts of town. Convenient for Orbit and Cosmos Shopping Malls. Good views over the Darjeeling Hills.
- 12 Saluja Residency, Hill Cart Road, ☎ , , . Business Centre is complete with all modern facilities like secretarial services, fax, Internet, e-mail, photocopying. Non-AC- ₹750-1050, AC- ₹1500-1900, Suites- ₹3,600-4,900.
- [dead link]Summit Milestone, Check Post, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road (Opposite Bhakti Nagar Police Station), ☎ . A lovely hotel with modern facilities and attentive and efficient staff.
- The Vegabound Inn,  Vega Circle, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, Tel: +91 353 2545896, +91 814 524 7070
Like most major Indian cities, Siliguri is prone to demonstrations, although these remain mostly peaceful. Otherwise Siliguri is one of the safest large cities in India, and assaults on tourists are unheard of. Even domestic violence figures are some of the lowest in the entire country.
There is a small internet cafe directly behind Hotel Heritage (across from the main bus station).
There are several banks on Sevoke Road that offer foreign exchange and ATM service.
- Darjeeling — one of the oldest hill stations in India with interesting sites as well as trekking opportunities.
- Dello — a small and peaceful Himalayan hamlet that is a peaceful getaway amid the majestic mountains for those who want a break from their busy schedules
- Gangtok — this hill station is a popular site as a jumping off point for treks, the home of the Banjhakri Falls, views of surrounding mountains and friendly atmosphere.
- Gompa Dara — a small village that is the site of Gompa Rock and meditation caves and the Ogyen Mindrol Samtenling (Buddhist monastery)
- Jalpaiguri — headquarters of the Jalpaiguri Division is a city with many historical links to the past
- Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary — three-hour drive from Siliguri. Its main attraction is the Indian one horned rhinoceros and it is a bird watchers paradise as well.
- Kalimpong — a small city with many gardens and religious sites to see and enjoy.
- Kathmandu. The Indian border town of Panitanki is around one hour from Siliguri. From there, it is 1.7km to the Nepalese border town of Kakarbhitta (rickshaws available). Buses depart Kakarbhitta for Kathmandu (12 to 13 hours) from 3 to 6PM.
- Lava — a hamlet surrounded by beautiful natural forests. Home to the Lava Monastery and a spot to view Kanchenjunga peak at sunrise.
- Loleygaon or Lolegaon — a village noted for its Canopy Walk, Jhandi Dhara Sunrise Point, and Lolegaon View Point.
- Mirik — a hill station with scenic views, tea gardens, Sumendu Lake, several religious sites and near the Bokar Monastery (Buddhist meditation centre).
- Mongpu — a small village (hill station) with beautiful views was once known for its medicinal plant cultivation. It was the site where poet laureate Rabindra Nath Tagore wrote his famous poem Janmadin.
- Pelling — a small town ideal for nature walks and monastic treks.
- Phuentsholing. The Bhutan Government buses depart for Phuentsholing at 7:30AM and 1:30PM everyday from opposite Golden Plaza on Burdwan Road (behind Air View More). Tickets are sold at a counter near the bus. There are more frequent Indian buses to the border town of Jaigaon from Siliguri Bus Station on Hill Cart Road.
- Raiganj — visit the Raiganj Eco Park and the Raiganj Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Rishop — suitable for a one-day stint. There is no city/town life here, just a small village with spectacular views of the third largest mountain peak of the world (Kanchenjungha) and its range.
|Routes through Siliguri|
|Darjeeling ← Kurseong ←||N S||→ Jalpaiguri|