Siliguri has a population of half a million (around one million for the entire metropolitan area), making it the third-largest city in West Bengal.
With massive developments, the city has grown from a small, sleepy town into one of the most important commercial hubs in north east India. Sprawling and boisterous, modern condominiums dominate the landscape on entering the city, followed by streets of market stalls that surround a core of up-scale shops and shopping malls.
Due to its position as a shopping and business hub and a centre of learning, the city enjoys a sophistication and range of shopping usually only associated with the metro cities. It is also known for its liberal and laid back atmosphere and vibrant music scene.
Siliguri is the only city in West Bengal other than Kolkata to have a commercial airport and, perhaps due to the high concentration of colleges, institutes and private schools, the city has the highest literacy rates in the state. Traditionally, Siliguri has been known for the four 'T's — tourism, timber, tea and transport — and is the gateway to Darjeeling, Sikkim, Bhutan and the North East.
- Siliguri has three railway stations: New Jalpaiguri (NJP), Siliguri Junction and Siliguri Town, of these New Jalpaiguri is the busiest, and is a 20- to 30-minute ride from the city center. Although mostly servicing local routes, Siliguri Junction also has a few long distance trains including Mahananda Express (from New Delhi) and Kanchankanya Express (from Sealdah).
Siliguri Bus Station is located across the street from the Sher-e-Punjab Hotel on Hill Cart Road (Tenzing Norgay Road).
- There are regular buses to/from Kolkata. The well-known and comfortable Siliguri Rocket, run by the North Bengal State Transport Corporation (NBSTC), leaves Kolkata at 8PM arriving Siliguri at 8AM (₹245). Some private bus lines also ply the route. The 'Royal Cruiser' Volvo buses leaves Kolkata at 8PM arriving Siliguri at 9 AM (₹745 AC/₹325 non-AC).
- Under a joint understanding between Indian and Bangladeshi transport authority, there are regular bus services to/from Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh. BRTC (Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation) buses leave Dhaka every night at 8PM and reach India-Bangladesh border at Changrabanda post at early morning. These buses will not cross the border and the passengers have to clear customs, walk a few hundred yards to cross the border and board the waiting Indian buses for another three-hour ride to Siliguri. The buses are air conditioned, very comfortable and depart on time. One-way fare from Dhaka to Siliguri is between USD 20 to 25, depending on conversion rates.
- There is a regular bus service from Phuentsholing, Bhutan and the Bhutanese border town of Jaigon. Buses from Phuentsholing heading towards Siliguri leave at 7AM, 7:30AM, 8:15AM and 3PM daily and takes approximately 4½ hr.
- A direct deluxe service links Siliguri to Kathmandu, with buses plying the route on alternate days.
- 1 Bagdogra Airport (IXB IATA) (just 14 km from the heart of Siliguri). Due to the airport being designated an air force base, it is still known as Bagdogra, but, in reality, it is Siliguri Airport. The number of flights operating from Bagdogra has increased substantially and the airport has links with most major Indian cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata and Guwahati. In addition, a number of airlines operate connecting flights to/from Bangkok, while Druk Air offers twice in a week direct flights to the Thai capital, which begin and terminate in Paro. Taxis are available from the airport to Siliguri (approx ₹500), as well as to Darjeeling, Gangtok, and Phuentsholing.
Moving in and around Siliguri is cheap. Cycle-rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, buses, taxis are easily available in almost every part of the city. Cycle-rickshaws can be hired to move around within the radius of 1-2 km. The fares are pretty nominal, exactly ₹10. To go 5-10 km, one can hire/share auto-rickshaws. Electric rickshaws are a comfortable and common means of transport in Siliguri and cost ₹10 from point A to B on fixed routes. Cars can be hired from several agencies. App based cabs are also available. At present OLA serves the city.
- 1 New Jalpaiguri railway station.
- 2 Siliguri Junction railway station.
- 3 Siliguri Town railway station.
- 1 Buddha Mundir Monastery, Buddha Mundir Road, Salbari (Salibari). A monastery established by the Nyingma yogi, Chatral Sangye Dorji Rinpoche
- 2 Coronation Bridge (Sevoke Bridge) (At Sevoke. This is about 23 km from the city on way to Gangtok/Kalimpong and Dooars on the National Highway 31.). You can see the turbulent Teesta roaring below.
- Ewan Buddhist Monastery, Junglee Mohal, Toribari Village, Behind Bengal Safari P. O P.S, Distt, Bhaktinagar, Salugara, ☏ . A large Buddhist monastery in the Nyingma tradition
- 3 Khordong Byangter Monastery, Dhansara (On road to Darjeeling, near NJP Station), ☏ , . A monastery is in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. Accommodation available at the compound.
- 4 Iskcon Temple, Iskcon Rd, Ward 41, Haidar Par, ☏ . International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), also known as Hare Krishna Movement manages the ISCKON temple, Siliguri. The temple houses many beautiful idols of Advaita Acharya, Lord Narasimha, Lord Chaitanya and many more.
- 5 Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary (At Sukna.). This is a wildlife sanctuary at the foothills of the Himalayas. Vehicles can be hired to enter the sanctuary at a minimal charge. While many different types of animals live at the sanctuary, wild elephants and peacocks are its most famous inhabitants. The sanctuary is closed during the rainy seasons (15 July to 15 September).
- Madhuban Park, Sukna (towards Darjeeling). A spacious park known for its manicured lawns, pathways and children's play areas.
- 6 Bengal Safari (North Bengal Wild Animal Park), Ashrampara, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The park contains, a leopard, tiger, rhino, deer and Himalayan black bear safari, bird aviaries, small cats compound, crocodile ponds and a botanical trail
- 7 Science City (At Matigara). The campus has a museum, a planetarium and an Interpretation Centre that displays various type of flora.
- 8 Sed-Gyued Institute of Buddhist Studies, Salugara. 15 - 20 minutes from the downtown. The institute was inaugurated by the Dalai Lama in 1999, and belongs to the Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. The compound includes a 100-foot Tashi Gomang Stupa.
- Sevoke Kali Mandir (At Sevoke.). This is around 20 km from Siliguri, near the Coronation Bridge. This is a temple of goddess Kali, the goddess of destruction, and is considered very holy. People from far off places come here to pray and worship her.
- Surya Sen Park, Mahakal Pally. A children's park with green lawns, fountains, toy train, alternative energy exhibition, and picnic areas. Rs5.
- 9 Triratna Monastery, Salbari. 15 - 20 minutes from Siliguri. A monastery in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism
- Blue Mountain Club. A relaxing country-club with landscaped gardens. Membership required to use club facilities.
- Darjeeling Riders, B35, Satellite Township, Dabgram, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bike rentals, specializing in tours to Bhutan, Darjeeling, and Sikkim
- Dreamland Amusement Park, Ghoshpukur Canal Road, Fulbari, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10AM-7PM. An amusement and theme park.
- 1 Kunchenjunga stadium. Matches, exhibitions and varied events.
- Netaji Indoor Stadium. Exhibitions and varied events.
- 2 Savin Kingdom, ☏ . Dagapur (near Darjeeling More). An amusement and water park among tea plantations.
- Swimming. Viramma Club, Siliguri Club, Cinderella Club, Stadium Swimming Pool
- Tea Estate Tours. Visit the serene and spacious tea farms in and around the city.
- 3 Darjeeling Bikes (Darjeeling Bikes), Module 105, First Floor Webel IT Park, Phase – III Khaprail Road, Matigara (From Khaprile More take road going to Darjeeling and then first left), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM-8PM.
Basically, Silguri sells its wares on three streets - Hill Cart Road, Bidhan Road and Sevoke Road. The former offers more traditional stores and is home to many of the city's hotels, Sevoke is home to several upscale shopping malls and is the center of the city's banking, while Bidhan Road is primarily known for the street markets that span out from the thoroughfare.
As the centre of a tea growing area, Siliguri is an excellent place to pick up some Darjeeling and other brands of the leaf.
- Fab India, Vega Circle Mall, Salugara and City Centre Mall, Matagari - two large branches of the national chain that specializes in hand spun material and natural soaps and cosmetics.
- Faith and Handicrafts, Iskon Temple Road, ☏ . A workshop specializing in Buddhist statues made from fiberglass and copper.
- Shree Buddha Handicrafts, Sevoke Road, Panitanki, ☏ . A wholesaler and order supplier of Buddhist ritual handicrafts and other religious items.
- Tanias Collection, Bidhan Market, ☏ . An eclectic mix of handcrafts, including religious statues.
- Chai Chun, GF, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across from Cosmos), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A modern shop selling traditional Indian teas, flavoured teas, Indian oolong, and tea making equipment and accessories.
- ChiPan, Hill Cart Road (opposite Hill Cart Road Bus Station), Tel: 91 81458-99825 - Good selection of Darjeeling tea for retail and wholesale.
- Rakhadevi Tea Company (Rai Exports), Rai Bhawan, Seth Srilal Market (on the corner or Sevoke and Hill Cart Roads), ☏ . Excellent selection of Darjeeling and Assam teas at retail and wholesale prices
- Siliguri Tea Auction Committee, Mallaguri, Pradhan Nagar, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A place to make bulk purchases of Darjeeling and other locally grown teas.
- Teabox, Teaxpress Pvt. Ltd, Manjusha Tower, Eastern Bypass Road, Near Baneswar More., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 10AM-7PM. An international tea wholesaler, specializing in tea-based products sourced from Darjeeling, Assam, Nilgiris, and Nepal.
- Udyan Tea, Binda Jayanti Building, 31 Sevoke Road, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Wide range of teas offered for wholesale and online sale.
- City Centre (Uttarayon). A huge mall offering major brands, international chain eateries, and live music events.
- City Mall, Sevoke Road
- Cosmos Mall, Sevoke Road. A large and up-scale mall.
- Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across the road from Cosmos Mall, and directly across from North City). A mall known for its distinctive cafes, pubs, and restaurants.
- Vega Circle Mall (check post, Sevoke Road). Home to an INOX movie theatre, hotel, and international stores, including a large branch of Hamleys toys.
- Bidhan Market, near the Kanchenjunga Stadium. The oldest and largest street market in Siliguri, Bidhan Market meanders along streets and alleys and is particularly bustling and atmospheric at night.
- Hong Kong Market, a pedestrianized street near Bidhan Market. Specializes in imported goods - mostly from China, but also from other Asian countries such as Nepal, and Thailand. However, beware of duplicate items. Even items made in Delhi stamped with "Made in China" are being sold here. The actual price of the item will be 1/2 or 1/3rd of the price the shopkeeper asks.
- Nivedita Market
- Seth Srilal Market. Buzzing market in the heart of the city, where you might get the best deals. Also famous for its Momo Gali (Momo Street).
Due to a high number of Nepalese and Tibetans living in Siliguri, the city offers an excellent selection of authentic Tibetan and Nepali delicacies. In addition, there are also several good quality restaurants specializing in Western and Chinese cuisine as well as a considerable number of US fast food outlets.
- Aagan - the Global Cuisine Restaurant, 1st Floor, Shanti Tower, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ . Chinese, Italian and Indian cuisine - pure vegetarian. Open kitchen. Modern decor.
- Restobar (Saluja Residency), Hill Cart Road, ☏ , , . Multi-cuisine restaurant and bar
- Around the Corner, Patel Road By-Lane, Near Biswadeep cinema hall, Pradhan Nagar. Tel: 91 9593296761. Quality Italian, American and British Cuisine.
- Badshah Biryani Hut, Rishi Aurobindo Road, ☏ . Excellent Biriyani along with several other cuisines.
- Bedwin, Bidhan Market, Old Bus Stand, ☏ . Known for its delicious Biryani.
- Bhojohari Manna (Hotel Golden Moments), 143 Hill Cart Road. Bengali cuisine.
- The Cinderella Hotel, 3rd Mile, Sevok Road, ☏ , . Amrapali - Vegetarian multi-cuisine restaurant, Recoil - Bar, Sizzler - discotheque for private parties, Patio - Roof-top restaurant-cum-bar.
- Havelli, Hill Cart Road. An excellent restaurant for fish and mutton items. Also offers high standard Chinese and continental dishes. Cool decor.
- Hi Spirits Cafe and Pub, City Centre Mall. Tel: +91 353-2576105. Lebanese, Mexican, Chinese and Tibetan dishes cooked to a very high standard. Live music.
- Indian Pagoda, Sevoke Road. Authentic Chinese cuisine.
- Kalpana (Near Siliguri Town railway station). Bengali cuisine
- Kalpatru Pice Restaurant, Ramkrishna Commercial Complex, Sevoke Road, ☏ . Bengali cuisine
- Momo Gali, .Seth Srilal Market (Near Margaret School, within easy walking distance of Siliguri Bus Stand). A street of restaurants and stalls selling fantastic momos.
- Marina's Hotel, Bihar More Bagdogra, West Bengal-734014, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. This serene motel in a colonial-style building is 12 km from Savin Kingdom and 13 km from the Jore Pokhri Wildlife Sanctuary. Warmly furnished rooms feature TVs and garden views. Upgraded rooms add sitting areas and sofas. Kids age 11 and under stay free with an adult. There's a Northern Indian and Chinese restaurant, as well as a private dining room for events and family gatherings. There's also a bakery, a furnished terrace and a garden.
- Monarch Restaurant, 10 Sevoke Rd, ☏ . Famous for Indian, Tandoori and Chinese dishes.
- New Zaika Biryani House, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . Mughlai dishes
- Punjabi Kadhai, Sidhi Arcade, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, Siliguri., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ranjit, Hill Cart Road. South Indian cuisine plus others
- Rasoi, Sevoke Road. South Indian and Chinese cuisine.
- Rasoraj, Mahabirsthan.
- Sagar Family Restaurant, Golden Enclave Building,Near Ravi Auto, 2nd Mile,Sevoke Road, ☏ . A vegetarian restaurant offering Chinese, Indian, Italian and continental dishes.
- Sartaj, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . Good food, good ambience
- Sharma Sweets, Mahabirsthan.
- Steamy Moktu, 94, Udham Singh Sarani, Ward 13, Punjabi Para, Siliguri-734001, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. noon-10PM (Hours might differ on Gandhi Jayanti). Asian fusion restaurant, specializing in Thai and Chinese cuisine. Creative interior.
- Tai Wah, Sri Bhavan building, ground floor, Hill Cart Road (Opposite Century Park), ☏ . Chinese cuisine.
- The Palms (Sinclairs), ☏ . 7:30AM to 11PM. Also: O3 lounge bar, 5-10:30PM.
- Tibet Restaurant, 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road, Salugara Bazar, Salugara. Simple and authentic Tibetan cuisine
- Viramma, Viramma Resort, Dagapur..
As Siliguri is at the heart of a tea-growing area, it has traditionally been associated with tea. However, following the international trend, coffee culture has made inroads in the city and there are now numerous branches of cafe chains as well as a growing number of independent coffee shops in and around Siliguri.
- Barista, Vega Circle Mall, Salugara
- Cafe Bohemia, Opp. Navjeevan Apartments, near Shiv Mandir, Shiv Mandir Road, Punjabi Para, ☏ . Everyday: 10AM-9:30PM. Great coffee. Innovative snacks and meals. Rough brick walls. Live music.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Bidhan Road (next to Hotel Dolly)
- Cafe Coffee Day, Basement, Cosmos Mall, 2nd Mile Sevoke Road.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Savin Plaza, Dagapur, Cinemax.
- Cafe Coffee Day, Bidhan Market near Panitanki More
- Cafe Coffee Day, near Khela Ghor More
- Cafe Italiano, Vega Circle Mall, Salugara. Authentic Italian cuisine and high quality coffee.
- Cuppa Java, 2nd Mile Sevoke Road, ☏ . 11AM-10:30PM. Coffee, international cuisine
- Dark Horse Coffee Shop, Opposite JCB Showroom, Hill Cart Road, Salbari, ☏ . 1-9PM. A cool cafe with outdoor seating. Coffee and meals.
- Happy Mugs, Manjushree Complex, Pranami Mandir Road, ☏ . 11AM - 10:30PM. Excellent coffee, tea, and munchies - contemporary and stylish interior. Good selection of books.
- New York City Cafe, 41 Khaprail Bazaar, ☏ . M-Sa 3-8PM, Su 3-9PM. Great coffee. Specializes in fancy cakes
- Ovenly, Swamiji More, Nazrul Sarani, Ashrampara, ☏ . Noon to midnight. A small bakery-cafe that specializes in custom-made cakes and pastries.
- [dead link] Panache, 1F, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (opposite North City, diagonally across the road from Cosmos), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Su 11AM-11PM. Excellent coffee, Lebanese and Indian cuisine. Free wifi. Good sound system.
- The Coffee Shop, 3F Vega Circle Mall, Salugara., ☏ . 10AM-10PM. Espresso based coffees, pastries, and pizza
- [dead link] The Haphazard Cafe, 3F, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road, (opposite North City, diagonally across the road from Cosmos), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:30AM-10PM. A cafe offering excellent Persian/Parsi dishes. Free wifi.
- Chainook, Parnami Mandir Road, Opp Shreedham Apartment, ☏ . 11:30AM-10:45PM. Chai cafe with fusion cuisine.
- Netaji Cabin , Bidhan Market. A rustic traditional tea house in a street market. Offers chai and simple meals. Open: 7AM-10PM.
With a young, educated, and liberal population, Siliguri enjoys a vibrant and lively pub scene. Planet Mall is the city's main watering hole, and there are a number of pubs and cafes situated throughout the mall.
- [dead link] Half Full, 3F, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across the road from Cosmos), ☏ . 2PM-11PM. Chic bar. Asian fusion cuisine. A very cool and happening place.
- Hashtag, 3F. Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across the road from Cosmos), ☏ . 12-11:30PM. European-style pub. live music, dancing, pizza, continental cuisine.
- Hi Spirits Cafe & Pub, C0206, 2F, City Centre Mall, Uttorayon, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-11PM. Casual dining pub-cafe with live and recorded music. Oriental, continental, Tex-mex, Himalayan cuisine. Well stocked bar
- O3 in Sinclairs. Worth checking out for a nice evening drink and snacks.
- Open House Cafe, 3rd Floor, Infinity Square, Sevoke Road, ☏ . 2-11:30PM. Live movie, hip hop, Rustic and warm interiors with Italian comfort food. alcohol and coffee. A very happening place in the heart of Siliguri/
- Tanzanite, 3F. Central Park Building, Sevoke Road, 2nd Mile (Ahead of Cosmos Mall, before PC Mitral Bus Stand), ☏ . 12.00 to 11.55 pm. Disco. Bar and restaurant. Sophisticated, urban decor. Good food.
- The Swedish Cafe and Pub (The Swedish), 2F Planet Mall, Sevoke Road, ☏ . 12noon-11PM. A stylish pub - serves innovative meals, alcohol, and coffee
- Worth The Hype, B29, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (opp North City). noon-midnight. Cafe and pub - chic interior, good selection of drinks, coffee and meals
- Zorb Discotheque and Lounge, Saluja Residency, Level-1, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . 11AM-11PM. Dance and night club, lounge, hookah lounge
Travelers using Siliguri as an overnight halt might like to consider their hotel options based on the convenience for traveling to their next destination. Bagdogra, Matigara, and Darjeeling More areas are convenient for Darjeeling, Kurseong (route 110), and the airport (route 327), while Salugara, 2nd or 3rd mile Sevoke Road addresses are good for Kalimpong, Gangtok, and Bhutan (route 10).
- 1 Athithi Guest House, Hill Cart Road. A well maintained hotel at low rates with AC and non-AC rooms.
- Dewan's Hotel (near New Jalpaiguri railway station), ☏ . A simple hotel located just outside New Jalpaiguri (NJP) Station. After exiting station, turn into first alley on right (adjacent to the taxi parking lot). The hotel is at the end of the alley.
- Himalayan Foothills Homestay, Kharagsingh Road (Near Bagdogra Airport), ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hotel Golden Moments, 143 Hill Cart Road (Near Hasmi Chawk), ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-AC double room: ₹753-2249, AC double room: ₹942-2698.
- Hotel Ranjit, 44, Hill Cart Road, Mahanandapara, ☏ , .
- 2 Nine Ten Hotel, Navin Sen Circle, Sevoke Road (near Gurdwara), ☏ . Check-out: noon. up to ₹1,000.
- Nest Guesthouse, Just off Swami Avedananda Road, 50 meters from the Hotel Sundaram Palace (From the Siliguri railway station (Not the New Jalpaiguri Station), walk to the main road (Hill Cart Road), cross the road, turn left, walk two blocks, and turn right at Swami Avedananda Road. Walk about 250 meters to Hotel Sundaram Palace, turn left down a small laneway immediately after this hotel, The Nest Guesthouse is 50 down this laneway..). Its about a ten minute walk from the Siliguiri Junction train station. Its well off the main road. Its relatively quiet at night, apart from a few barking dogs. The cost for a single person was 500 Indian rupees March 2019. For this I got a double bed sized room. No wifi
- Nest Guesthouse, Just off Swami Avedananda Road, 50 meters from the Hotel Sundaram Palace (From the Siliguri railway station (Not the New Jalpaiguri Station), walk to the main road (Hill Cart Road), cross the road, turn left, walk two blocks, and turn right at Swami Avedananda Road. Walk about 250 meters to Hotel Sundaram Palace, turn left down a small laneway immediately after this hotel, The Nest Guesthouse is 50 down this laneway..). Its about a ten minute walk from the Siliguiri Junction train station. Its well off the main road. Its relatively quiet at night, apart from a few barking dogs. The cost for a single person was 500 Indian rupees March 2018. For this I got a double bed sized room.
- Sunakhari Lodge (From the Siliguir Junction train station, walk to the main road (Hill Cart Road), cross Hill Cart Road, turn left, walk one block to the Hotel Heritage, turn right at this hotel. Walk one block. Sunakhari Lodge is on the corner.). I did not stay at this hotel. I found it after I had checked into another. Sunakhari Lodge has wifi. Singles with shared bathroom start at 400 indian rupees, 500 indian rupees with attached bathroom (March 2019). It is less than a ten minute walk from the Siliguri Junction train station. (Not the New Jalpaiguri train station)
- 3 Hotel Central Plaza, ☏ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Located about five minute taxi ride from main bus station. Clean and acceptable facilities. ₹650 non A/C to ₹3,500 for suite.
- 4 Hotel Heritage, Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar, ☏ . Across from the city's main interstate bus station, Heritage is a well maintained and efficiently run hotel. ₹900 non A/C to ₹2,500 for suite.
- 5 Hotel Manila, Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar, ☏ . Next to Hotel Heritage. ₹600 non A/C to ₹2,400 for suite.
- Hotel Vinayak, 35, Hill Cart Road (Near Punjab National Bank), ☏ , .
- 6 Marina's Motel, This is just a stones throw away from the IXB airport., ☏ (Mr. Rajib).
- 7 Mainak Tourist Lodge, Hill Cart Road, Pradhan Nagar., ☏ . Basic restaurant, but modern and smart rooms. Standard: single/double - ₹1,200.
- 8 Sawasstika Eco Resort, Fulbari hat, Changrabandha Village, Fulbari (Behind Narayana School), ☏ , . Simple, but well equipped resort, outdoor baths, tea plantation, organic farm.
Many of the modern, up-scale hotels are located on Sevoke Road (2nd-3rd mile), near Vega Circle Mall.
- 9 Barsana Hotel, ☏ . Khaprail Road, Matigara. A beautiful hotel with all the modern amenities. Very reasonable as per the infrastructure and facilities.
- Club Montana Vista, Matigara NH-31, ☏ . A modern and chic hotel located among landscaped gardens.
- 10 Courtyard By Marriott (Marriott), Hill Cart Road, Mallaguri (five minutes from Darjeeling More), ☏ . A modern and chic hotel. Conveniently located for airport and city centre. Excellent service.
- 11 Hotel Cindrella, ☏ , . A four star hotel on Sevoke Road. ₹4,500 - 12,000.
- 12 Hotel Sinclairs, Ward 46, Pradhan Nagar, ☏ . A well maintained hotel with good facilities. Located about a five minute taxi ride from main bus station.
- Lemon Tree, Cresent Tower, 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. A well maintained, modern hotel - convenient for airport and downtown.
- 13 Royal Sarovar Portico, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road. A smart hotel located on the outskirts of town. Convenient for Vega Circle and Cosmos Shopping Malls. Good views over the Darjeeling Hills.
- 14 Saluja Residency, Hill Cart Road, ☏ , , . Business Centre is complete with all modern facilities like secretarial services, fax, Internet, e-mail, photocopying. Non-AC- ₹750-1050, AC- ₹1500-1900, Suites- ₹3,600-4,900.
- 15 Saffron Crest, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, Salugara (opp Forest Check Post), ☏ . A modern and well-maintained hotel.
- 16 Summit Milestone, Check Post, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road (Opposite Bhakti Nagar Police Station), ☏ (reservations), (front desk). A lovely hotel with modern facilities and attentive and efficient staff.
- 17 Viramma Resort, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . A luxury resort on the Darjeeling highway.
- 18 The Vegabound Inn, Vega Circle (Orbit Mall), Sevoke Road, ☏ , .
Siliguri is one of the safest large cities in India, and assaults on tourists are unheard of. Even domestic violence figures are some of the lowest in the entire country.
- One internet cafe is directly behind Hotel Heritage on Hill Cart Road (across from the main bus station).
- Siliguri Times - online local news
- There are several banks on Sevoke Road that offer foreign exchange and ATM service.
- Centrum Money Exchange, 75 Ramapada Bhawan, Hill Cart Road (near Sevoke More).
- Aarogyaveda, Payel Cinema Hall, Opp. Sevoke Road, Haidar Para. Tel: + 81720 77557 Mon-Sat: 11:30 AM – 2PM, 6– 8PM
- Men-Tsee-Khang (Tibetan Medical & Astro. Institute), http://www.men-tsee-khang.org/index2.htm#, Sevoke Road, Salugara. Tel: + 353 2590354, +92336 23874 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Desun Hospital, http://siliguri.desunhospital.com/ Medical College Road. An international standard hospital. Tel: 9051640000 (24 hour emergency), 9073692687 and 9674019660 (OPD booking)
- Neotia Getwell Healthcare, Behind City Centre Mall, Uttorayon. A state of the art hospital with full facilities. Tel: +353 305 3000
- North Bengal Hospital, Meghnad Saha Sarani, Pradhan Nagar. Located in an old building, but known for its professional treatment. Tel: +353 251 0441
- Darjeeling — one of the oldest hill stations in India with interesting sites as well as trekking opportunities.
- Dello — a small and peaceful Himalayan hamlet that is a peaceful getaway amid the majestic mountains for those who want a break from their busy schedules
- Gangtok — this hill station is a popular site as a jumping off point for treks, the home of the Banjhakri Falls, views of surrounding mountains and friendly atmosphere.
- Gompa Dara — a small village that is the site of Gompa Rock and meditation caves and the Ogyen Mindrol Samtenling (Buddhist monastery)
- Jalpaiguri — headquarters of the Jalpaiguri Division is a city with many historical links to the past
- Jaldapara — this national park is a 180-min drive from Siliguri. It's famous for its wildlife, in particular the Indian rhinoceros, bison, elephants, and peacocks.
- Kalimpong — a small city with many gardens and religious sites.
- Kathmandu. The Indian border town of Panitanki is around one hour from Siliguri. From there, it is 1.7 km to the Nepalese border town of Kakarbhitta (rickshaws available). Buses depart Kakarbhitta for Kathmandu (12 to 13 hours) from 3 to 6PM. Direct Siliguri to Kathmandu deluxe bus service on alternate days.
- Lava — a hamlet surrounded by beautiful natural forests. Home to the Lava Monastery and a spot to view Kanchenjunga peak at sunrise.
- Loleygaon or Lolegaon — a village noted for its Canopy Walk, Jhandi Dhara Sunrise Point, and Lolegaon View Point.
- Mirik — a hill station with scenic views, tea gardens, Sumendu Lake, several religious sites and near the Bokar Monastery (Buddhist meditation centre).
- Mongpu — a small village (hill station) with beautiful views was once known for its medicinal plant cultivation. It was the site where poet laureate Rabindra Nath Tagore wrote his famous poem Janmadin.
- Pelling — a small town ideal for nature walks and monastic treks.
- Phuentsholing — Buses depart for Phuentsholing at 7:30AM and 1:30PM everyday from opposite Golden Plaza on Burdwan Road (behind Air View More). Tickets are sold at a counter near the bus. There are more frequent Indian buses to the border town of Jaigaon from Siliguri Bus Station on Hill Cart Road.
- Raiganj — visit the Raiganj Eco Park and the Raiganj Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Rishop — suitable for a one-day stint. There is no city/town life here, just a small village with spectacular views of the third largest mountain peak of the world (Kanchenjungha) and its range.
|Routes through Siliguri|
|Darjeeling ← Kurseong ←||N S||→ Jalpaiguri|