The largest city in North Bengal, Siliguri (Bengali: শিলিগুড়ি Śiliguṛi, Nepali: सिलगड़ी Silgaṛī, Hindi: सिलीगुड़ी Silīguṛī) is a liberal and cosmopolitan city that is known for its vibrant music scene and strong youth culture. Located on the banks of the Mahananda River and the Teesta River at the foothills of the Darjeeling Hills, Siliguri is the third-largest urban agglomeration in West Bengal. It is known as the "Gateway of North-Eastern India" as it connects North-Eastern India with mainland India, making it a major trading and transportation hub. It borders Nepal on one side and Bangladesh on the other.
Siliguri (Bengali pronunciation: SHIH-lih-GOO-rih /ʃiliɡuɽi/) has a population of half a million in 2011 (around 700,000 for the urban area), making it the third-largest city in West Bengal.
With massive developments since the turn of the 21st century, the city has grown from a small regional town into one of the most important business centres in Eastern India. Sprawling and boisterous, it is a city whose periphery is dominated by modern condominiums, while the downtown is characterised by sprawling street markets, up-scale shops, and large shopping malls.
Due to its position as a commercial hub and centre of learning, the city enjoys a sophistication and range of shopping usually only associated with metro cities. Furthermore, as it has attracted a large number of young Nepalese, Sikkimese, Tibetans, and Bhutanese, it has developed into one of India's most liberal and cosmopolitan cities that is known for its vibrant music scene and strong youth culture.
Siliguri is the only city in West Bengal other than Durgapur and Kolkata to have a commercial airport and, perhaps due to the high concentration of colleges, institutes and private schools, the city has the highest literacy rates in the state. Traditionally, Siliguri has been known for the four 'T's — tourism, timber, tea and transport — and is the gateway to Darjeeling, Sikkim, Bhutan and North-Eastern India.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Siliguri has a warm summer, cool winters and a severe monsoon. In summer, the temperature varies from a minimum of 18-22 °C to a maximum of 26-32 °C. The temperature in summer sometimes exceeds 35 °C. On the other hand, the winter maximum temperature hovers around 20-24 °C, and the minimum drops 6-9 °C. January is the coldest month with an average temperature of 16.1 °C. The minimum temperature in winter season sometimes drops 5 °C or below. On an average, Siliguri gets 3340 mm per year. Winters are mostly dry, with the summers being rainy. About 80% of the annual rainfall is felt between June to September, this period is known as monsoons or rainy season in the season cycle. Heavy showers are often felt in May, June, July, August and September. July is the wettest month (804 mm) and January is the driest month (12 mm).
- 1 Tourism Centre, M-4 Bldg, Hill Cart Rd, ☏ , . The staff at the Tourism Centre is very helpful and the centre has a lot of information on North Bengal tourism. You can book a government lodge there before travelling to your favourite destination.
Bengali, Hindi, and Nepali are respectively the most common languages spoken in Siliguri. However, as a major business and trading hub, the city has attracted numerous people from different ethnic groups, and so it is not uncommon to hear other dialects or languages spoken on the streets and in homes.
- 1 Bagdogra International Airport (IXB IATA), Bagdogra (14 km (8.7 mi) from the city centre), ☏ . The airport has links with most major Indian cities: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata and Guwahati. In addition, a number of airlines operate connecting flights from Bangkok, while Druk Air offers twice in a week direct flights to the Thai capital, which begin and terminate in Paro with a stop here. Taxis are available from the airport to Siliguri (approx ₹500), as well as to Darjeeling, Gangtok, and Phuentsholing.
New Jalpaiguri Junction railway station
- 2 New Jalpaiguri Junction railway station (station code: NJP) (about 20- to 30-minute ride from the city centre). The busiest railway station in North Bengal with connections to almost all parts of India (except Goa, Pune, Haridwar and Surat).
NJP is served by four Rajdhani Express trains, two Vistadome Express trains, two Humsafar Express trains, four AC Superfast Express trains, a Shatabdi Express train and a Vande Bharat Express train from this station. There is also an international train from Bangladesh, called Mitali Express. NJP also connects the mainstream broad-gauge line with the heritage narrow-gauge line.
NJP has two double-bedded air-conditioned (AC) retiring rooms, six double-bedded non-AC retiring rooms, one three-bedded dormitory and one twelve-bedded dormitory. Free high-speed Wi-Fi is available at this station. It has IRCTC and other private restaurants. There is also a decommissioned train coach that acts as a restaurant, and tea rooms that serve locally grown tea. The tourist office and pre-paid taxi booth are directly opposite the station main entrance.
Transport options to city centre:
- By bus: North Bengal State Transport Corporation (NBSTC) operates bus services from NJP to Siliguri city centre. There are private bus options as well.
- By taxi: Ride-hailing services, such as Uber, Rapido and Ola, provide rides from NJP to various parts of the city. Apart from these, numerous private taxi operators provide pre-paid and post-paid taxi services to the city.
- 3 Siliguri Junction railway station (station code: SGUJ). Although mostly servicing local routes, Siliguri Junction also has a few long distance trains including the Mahananda Express (from New Delhi) and the Kanchankanya Express (from Sealdah). Another interchange between the mainstream broad-gauge line with the heritage narrow-gauge line. The station has a pleasant tea room serving locally grown tea just outside the main entrance.
- 4 Siliguri Town railway station (station code: SGUT).
- 5 Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus, Hill Cart Rd, Pradhan Nagar.
There are regular buses from Kolkata. The well-known and comfortable Siliguri Rocket, run by the North Bengal State Transport Corporation (NBSTC), leaves Kolkata at 8PM arriving Siliguri at 8AM (₹245). Some private bus lines also ply the route. The 'Royal Cruiser' Volvo buses leaves Kolkata at 8PM arriving Siliguri at 9AM (₹745 AC/₹325 non-AC).
Under a joint understanding between Indian and Bangladeshi transport authority, there are regular bus services from Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh. BRTC (Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation) buses leave Dhaka every night at 8PM and reach India-Bangladesh border at Changrabanda post at early morning. These buses will not cross the border and the passengers have to clear customs, walk a few hundred yards to cross the border and board the waiting Indian buses for another three-hour ride to Siliguri. The buses are air conditioned, very comfortable and depart on time. One-way fare from Dhaka to Siliguri is between $20-25, depending on conversion rates.
There is also a regular bus service from Phuentsholing, Bhutan. Buses from Phuentsholing leave at 7AM, 7:30AM, 8:15AM and 3PM daily, with the journey taking approximately four hours. A direct deluxe service links Siliguri to Kathmandu, with buses plying the route on alternate days.
Moving in and around Siliguri is cheap. There are electric rickshaws (locally known as totos), shared vans, an efficient public bus service, and rental cars. App-based car services are also available on OLA Cabs and Uber, while shared e-rickshaws and vans run on established routes, charging ₹20 per person (as of 2023) per journey. The core areas can be covered on foot and is very safe.
- 1 Buddha Mundir Monastery, Buddha Mundir Road, Salbari (Salibari). A monastery established by the Nyingma yogi, Chatral Sangye Dorji Rinpoche
- 2 Ewan Buddhist Monastery, Junglee Mohal, Toribari Village, Distt, Bhaktinagar (behind Bengal Safari P.O P.S), ☏ . A large Buddhist monastery in the Nyingma tradition
- 3 Khordong Byangter Monastery, Dhansara (on road to Darjeeling, near NJP Station), ☏ , . A monastery is in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. Accommodation available at the compound.
- 4 Iskcon Temple, Iskcon Rd, Ward 41, Haidar Par, ☏ . International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), also known as Hare Krishna Movement, manages the ISCKON temple. It houses many beautiful idols of Advaita Acharya, Lord Narasimha, Lord Chaitanya and many more.
- 5 Sed-Gyued Institute of Buddhist Studies, Salugara. 15 - 20 minutes from the downtown. Inaugurated by the Dalai Lama in 1999, and belongs to the Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. The compound includes a 100-foot Tashi Gomang Stupa.
- 6 Triratna Monastery, Salbari. 15 - 20 minutes' drive from downtown. A monastery in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism
- Bengal Safari Park (North Bengal Wild Animal Park), 5 Mile, Salugara, ☏ , email@example.com. Tigers, leopards, elephants, and herbivorous. Elephant rides. Forest park setting. ₹200 (half hour), ₹400 (one hour).
- 7 Madhuban Park, Sukna Forest (towards Darjeeling). Daily 6AM–7PM. A spacious park known for its manicured lawns, pathways and children's play areas.
- 8 Science City, Matigara. The campus has a museum, a planetarium and an Interpretation Centre that displays various type of flora.
- 9 Surya Sen Park, Janta Nagar. Daily 3-7PM. A river runs along this park with kids’ rides, play equipment, shade trees & a miniature train. It also hosts many alternative energy exhibitions and picnic areas.
There are many places in Siliguri to visit and spend some quality time. You can tour the city yourself by renting a bike or a car. There are many places to watch movies. You can also visit tea estates for a tour where you can see the serene and spacious tea farms in and around the city. There are many exhibitions and sport events around the city.
- 1 Dreamland Amusement Park, Ghoshpukur Canal Road, Fulbari, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-7PM. An amusement and theme park.
- 2 Savin Kingdom, Darjeeling More, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 10:30AM-6PM. Dagapur (near Darjeeling More). An amusement and water park among tea plantations.
Silguri sells its wares on three streets: Hill Cart Road, Bidhan Road and Sevoke Road. The former offers more traditional stores and is home to many of the city's hotels, Sevoke is home to several upscale shopping malls and is the centre of the city's banking, while Bidhan Road is primarily known for the street markets that span out from the thoroughfare.
As the centre of a tea-growing area, Siliguri is an excellent place to pick up some Darjeeling and other brands of the leaf.
- 1 Fab India, Shop No. 10, 1st Floor, Vega Circle Mall and City Centre Mall, ☏ (Vega Circle), (City Centre), firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10AM-9PM. Gifts and clothing store.
- 2 Shree Buddha Handicrafts, Sevoke Road, Panitanki, ☏ . A wholesaler and order supplier of Buddhist ritual handicrafts and other religious items.
- 3 Tanias Collection, Bidhan Market, ☏ . An eclectic mix of handcrafts, including religious statues.
- 4 Chai Chun, GF, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across from Cosmos), ☏ , email@example.com. A modern shop selling traditional Indian teas, flavoured teas, Indian oolong, and tea-making equipment and accessories.
- 5 The Tea Cottage, Shivmandir, Military Road, ☏ . Excellent selection of Darjeeling and Assam teas at retail and wholesale prices.
- 6 Siliguri Tea Auction Committee, Mallaguri, Pradhan Nagar, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 9AM–5PM. A place to make bulk purchases of Darjeeling and other locally grown teas.
- 7 City Centre (The Uttorayon Township), Matigara, NH-31. A huge mall offering major brands, international chain eateries, and live music events.
- 8 City Mall, Service Road, Ward 13, Punjabi Para. Unassuming mall featuring local shops selling traditional clothing & jewelry, plus fast food.
- 9 Cosmos Mall, Sevoke Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 10AM–10PM. Mall with a Big Bazaar store, plus fashion, cosmetics & home retailers, eateries & frequent events.
- ML Acropolis Mall, Sevoke Road (Opp Anandaloke Hospital). A large mall featuring high end commercial outlets, pub with live music; and movie complex.
- 10 Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (vertically opposite Cosmos Mall). A modern complex filled with pubs, restaurant, and cafes. A very happening place for the under 40s.
- 11 Vega Circle Mall, Nimbu Basti, firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:30AM–9PM. Home to an INOX movie theatre, hotel, and international stores, including a large branch of the well known London toy store, Hamleys.
- 12 Bidhan Market, Ward 11, Hakim Para (near the Kanchenjunga Stadium). Daily noon–9PM. The oldest and largest street market in Siliguri, Bidhan Market meanders along streets and alleys and is particularly bustling and atmospheric at night.
- 13 Hong Kong Market, 6, Satyajit Roy Colony Rd, Ward 41, Don Bosco Colony. Tu-Su 9:30AM–9:30PM. Lively, long-standing market for bargain clothing, electronics & cosmetics, plus food vendors. However, beware of duplicate items. Even items made in Delhi stamped with "Made in China" are being sold here. The actual price of the item will be 1/2 or 1/3rd of the price the shopkeeper asks.
- 14 Seth Srilal Market, Ward 11, Hakim Para. Daily noon–9PM. Buzzing market in the heart of the city, where you might get the best deals. Also famous for its Momo Gali (Momo Street).
Due to the large number of Nepalese and Tibetans living in Siliguri, the city offers an excellent selection of authentic Tibetan and Nepali delicacies. In addition, there are also several good quality restaurants specializing in Western and Chinese cuisine as well as a considerable number of US fast food outlets.
- 1 Badshah Biryani Hut, Opposite Kanchenjunga Stadium, Khudiram Pally Rd, Ward 11, Hakim Para, ☏ . Daily noon–10:30PM. Excellent Biriyani along with several other cuisines.
- 2 Bedween Restaurant, Bidhan Market, Old Bus Stand, ☏ . Daily 10AM–10:30PM. Known for its delicious Biryani.
- 3 Bhojohari Manna (Hotel Golden Moments), 143 Hill Cart Road, ☏ . Daily noon–10PM. Bengali cuisine.
- 4 The Cinderella Hotel, 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ , . Amrapali - Vegetarian multi-cuisine restaurant, Recoil - Bar, Sizzler - discotheque for private parties, Patio - Roof-top restaurant-cum-bar.
- 5 Havelli, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . Daily 11AM–11PM. An excellent restaurant for fish and mutton items. Also offers high standard Chinese and continental dishes. Cool decor.
- 6 Hi Spirits Cafe and Pub, 2nd floor City Centre, Uttorayon, ☏ . Daily noon–11PM. Low-key bar & restaurant in an unpretentious, no-frills ambience with Lebanese, Mexican, Chinese and Tibetan dishes cooked to a very high standard and live music
- 7 Indian Pagoda, Top Plaza, Ground Floor, Sevoke Rd. Daily 10am–11pm. Contemporary space serving a typical menu of popular Indianised Chinese dishes.
- 8 Kalpana Hotel Bengali Cuisines, Bidhan Market (Near Siliguri Town railway station), ☏ . Daily 10AM–9PM. Bengali cuisine
- 9 Kalpatru Pice Restaurant, Panitanki More, Sevoke Road, Ashram Para, Hakim Para, ☏ . Daily 10AM–10:30PM. Bengali cuisine
- 10 Little Tokyo, 3F, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily Noon–11PM. Authentic Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, and Korean Food. Excellent sushi and mochi ice-cream. Stylish, East Asian themed interior.
- 11 Marina's Motel, Bihar More, Bagdogra, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A serene motel in a colonial-style building with a furnished terrace and garden. Serves northern Indian and Chinese cuisine. Private dining available.
- 12 Momo Gali, Seth Srilal Market (near Margaret School, within easy walking distance of Siliguri Bus Stand). Daily 10AM-10PM. A street of restaurants and stalls selling fantastic momos.
- 13 Monarch Restaurant, 10 Sevoke Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM–11:30PM. Famous for Indian, Tandoori and Chinese dishes.
- 14 New Zaika Biryani House, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . Daily 9AM–11:15PM. Mughlai dishes
- 15 Punjabi Kadhai, Sidhi Arcade, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 11AM–11:11PM. Biryani, kebabs & other North Indian standards served in a casual, family-friendly rooftop setting.
- 16 Sagar Family Restaurant, Golden Enclave Building, near Ravi Auto, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 9AM to 11PM. Relaxed option prepping regional & global fare including dosas, noodles, pizza, momos & curries.
- 17 Sartaj, 110/156, Hill Cart Rd, ☏ . Daily 10AM–10:45PM. Good food, good ambience
- 18 Steamy Moktu, 1F Planet Mall, Sevoke Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily noon–10PM. Asian fusion restaurant, specializing in Thai and Chinese cuisine.
- 19 Tai Wah Restaurant, Sri Bhavan building, ground floor, Hill Cart Road (opposite Century Park), ☏ . Daily 11AM–10PM. A standard menu of multicuisine meals in a restaurant with a homey, low-key ambience.
- 20 The Palms (Sinclairs), Ward 46, Pradhan Nagar, ☏ , toll-free: 1800 120 267000, firstname.lastname@example.org. 7:30AM to 11PM. Also: O3 lounge bar, 5-10:30PM.
- 21 Taste of Sikkim, 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road, Salugara Bazar, Salugara. Daily 10AM–10PM. Simple and authentic Tibetan cuisine
- Veganation, Opp Union Bank, Salbari, ☏ . A cosy restaurant with an international feel. Mexican and Mediterranean cuisine. All meals fully plant based.
As Siliguri is at the heart of a tea-growing area, it has traditionally been associated with tea. However, following the international trend, coffee culture has made inroads in the city and there are now numerous branches of cafe chains as well as a large number of independent coffee shops in and around Siliguri, and the quality of the coffee served is generally very good.
- 1 Art O Adda Coffee House, 189, Subhas Pally, Netaji Subhash Road, Subhas Pally (near Netaji Girls High School), ☏ . 10AM-10PM daily. A quirky, art-filled cafe. Cosy seating. Specialises in Chinese and street food.
- 2 Barista, Vega Mall, Sevoke Rd, email@example.com. 10AM-10PM daily. A café chain in a great shopping mall. Also offers quick snacks.
- Berlin Kaffeehaus, City Centre Mall (near Pizza Hut), ☏ . An open and light cafe. Outdoor seating, Delicious pastries and cakes. Excellent coffee.
- 3 Cafe Bohemia, Opp. Navjeevan Apartments, near Shiv Mandir, Shiv Mandir Road, Punjabi Para, ☏ . Daily 10AM-9:30PM. Great coffee. Innovative snacks and meals. Rough brick walls. Live music.
- 4 Café Coffee Day, Cosmos Mall, Sevoke Rd, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A coffee chain with great affordable coffee and its variants.
- Dakini Cafe, BSF Road, Salugara (Heading towards Coronation Bridge on Sevoke Road, cafe is the alleys on the right, just after Salugara Stupa), ☏ . Daily M-Sa:11:30AM-9:30PM, Su:11:30AM-8:30PM. A cool, open cafe with brick walls, plants, wooden floors, and various Tibetan Buddhist art and symbols. Great coffee. Excellent Italian cuisine
- 6 Do Tell, Vega Circle Mall, Salugara, ☏ . Daily 10:30AM-9PM. Small, intimate cafe. Authentic Italian cuisine and high-quality coffee. Quick and professional service.
- 7 New York City Cafe, 41 Khaprail Bazaar, ☏ . M-Sa 3-8PM, Su 3-9PM. Great coffee. Specializes in fancy cakes
- 8 Ovenly, Swamiji More, Nazrul Sarani, Ashrampara, ☏ . Noon to midnight. A small bakery-cafe specialising in custom-made cakes and pastries.
- 9 The Coffee Shop, 3F Vega Circle Mall, Salugara., ☏ . 10AM-10PM. An open plan cafe with large screens showing sport events. Espresso based coffees, pastries. Specializes in Italian food.
With a young, educated, and liberal population, Siliguri enjoys a vibrant and lively pub scene. Planet Mall is the city's main watering hole, and there are a number of pubs and cafes throughout the mall.
- 11 Half Full, 3F, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across the road from Cosmos), ☏ . noon-11PM. Upbeat bar & lounge featuring multicuisine fare, regular live music & sports screenings.
- 12 Hashtag, 3F. Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (diagonally across the road from Cosmos), ☏ . noon-11:30PM. European-style pub with live music, dancing, pizza, continental cuisine.
- 13 O3 (Sinclairs lounge), Ward 46, Pradhan Nagar, ☏ , toll-free: 1800 120 267000, email@example.com. 7:30AM to 10:30PM. Worth checking out for a nice evening drink and snacks.
- 14 Open House Cafe, 3rd Floor, Infinity Square, Sevoke Road, ☏ . noon-11PM. Cocktails & global fast food are served in this casual resto-bar with live music.
- 15 Novus Tanzanite - Bar & Discotheque, 3F. Central Park Building, Sevoke Road, 2nd Mile (Ahead of Cosmos Mall, before PC Mitral Bus Stand), ☏ . Noon-11:55PM. Disco. Bar and restaurant. Sophisticated, urban décor. Good food.
- 16 The Swedish Cafe and Pub (The Swedish), 2F Planet Mall, Sevoke Road, ☏ . 11AM–11:30PM. A stylish pub that serves innovative meals, alcohol, and coffee
- 17 Worth The Hype, B29, Planet Mall, Sevoke Road (opp North City), ☏ . noon–11:15PM. Cafe and pub with chic interior, good selection of drinks, coffee and meals
- 18 Zorb Discotheque and Lounge, Saluja Residency, Level-1, Hill Cart Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 11AM-11PM. Dance and night club, lounge, hookah lounge
If you are using Siliguri as an overnight halt, you might consider your hotel options based on the convenience of traveling to your next destination. Bagdogra, Matigara and Darjeeling More areas are convenient for Darjeeling, Kurseong (route 110), and the airport (route 327), while Salugara, 2nd or 3rd mile Sevoke Road addresses are good for Kalimpong, Gangtok and Bhutan (route 10).
- 1 Athithi Guest House, Hill Cart Rd. A well-maintained hotel at low rates with AC and non-AC rooms.
- 2 Dewan's Hotel, Bhaktinagar, ☏ . A simple hotel outside New Jalpaiguri (NJP) Station. After exiting station, turn into first alley on right (adjacent to the taxi parking lot). The hotel is at the end of the alley.
- 3 Himalayan Foothills Homestay, Kharagsingh Rd, ☏ , , , email@example.com.
- 4 Hotel Golden Moments, 143 Hill Cart Rd, ☏ , , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-AC double room: ₹753-2249, AC double room: ₹942-2698.
- 5 Hotel Ranjit, 44, Hill Cart Rd, Mahanandapara, ☏ , .
- 6 Nine Ten Hotel, Navin Sen Circle, Sevoke Rd, ☏ . Check-out: noon. up to ₹1,000.
- 7 Sunakhari Lodge (cross Hill Cart Rd, turn left, walk one block to the Hotel Heritage, turn right at this hotel; walk one block; Sunakhari Lodge is on the corner). Sunakhari Lodge has free Wi-Fi. Singles with shared bathroom start at ₹400, ₹500 with attached bathroom (March 2019). It is less than a ten-minute walk from the Siliguri Junction train station (not the New Jalpaiguri train station).
- 8 Hotel Central Plaza, ☏ . Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar. Located about five minute taxi ride from main bus station. Clean and acceptable facilities. ₹650 non A/C to ₹3,500 for suite.
- 9 Hotel Heritage, Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar, ☏ . Across from the city's main interstate bus station, Heritage is a well maintained and efficiently run hotel. ₹900 non A/C to ₹2,500 for suite.
- 10 Hotel Manila, Hill Cart Road, Pradham Nagar, ☏ . Next to Hotel Heritage. ₹600 non A/C to ₹2,400 for suite.
- 11 Hotel Vinayak, 35, Hill Cart Road, ☏ , . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM.
- 12 Marina's Motel, Bihar More, Bagdogra, ☏ , email@example.com. A serene motel in a colonial-style building with a furnished terrace and garden. Serves northern Indian and Chinese cuisine. An 8-10 minute drive from the airport.
- 13 Mainak Tourist Lodge, Hill Cart Road, Pradhan Nagar, ☏ . Basic restaurant, but modern and smart rooms. Standard: single/double ₹2,400-2,800.
- 14 Sawasstika Eco Resort, Fulbari hat, Changrabandha Village, Fulbari (behind Narayana School), ☏ , . Simple, but well-equipped resort, outdoor baths, tea plantation, organic farm.
- The Loft, Nivedita Road, Pradhan Nagar, ☏ , . A stylish hotel. Centrally located. 12 minute walk from Siliguri Junction Station and Siliguri Bus Station.
Many of the modern, up-scale hotels are on Sevoke Road (2nd-3rd mile), near Vega Circle Mall.
- 15 Barsana Hotel, Khaprail Road, Matigara, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A beautiful hotel with all the modern amenities. Very reasonable as per the infrastructure and facilities.
- Blue Mountain Country Club and Resort, Hill Cart Road, Salbari, Dagapur (Near Campion School), ☏ . A relaxing resort with swimming pool, rooftop restaurant and cafe. Indian and Western Cuisine.
- 16 Courtyard by Marriott (Marriott), Hill Cart Road, Mallaguri (five minutes from Darjeeling More), ☏ . A modern and chic hotel. Conveniently located for airport and city centre. Excellent service.
- 17 Hotel Cindrella, ☏ , . A four-star hotel on Sevoke Road. Food is vegetarian only, but of a very high quality. ₹4,500 - 12,000.
- 18 Hotel Sinclairs, Ward 46, Pradhan Nagar, ☏ . A well-maintained hotel with good facilities. Located about a five minute taxi ride from main bus station.
- 19 Lemon Tree, Cresent Tower, 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. A well-maintained, modern hotel - convenient for airport and downtown.
- 20 Mayfair Tea Resort, New Chumta More, Sukna, ☏ , email@example.com. The 154-room Tudor-style building is set among thousands of acres of tea gardens. Among its special features, the five-star resort boasts Italian marble floors and four poster beds. Service and food are top quality.
- 21 Montana Vista, The Uttorayon Township, Matigara, NH-31, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A modern and chic hotel located among landscaped gardens.
- Ramada Encore (Ramada by Wyndham), 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, ☏ . A chic and modern hotel. Well serviced cafe and restaurant. 24/7 room service.
- 22 Royal Sarovar Portico, ☏ , email@example.com. 3rd Mile, Sevoke Road. A smart hotel on the outskirts of town. Convenient for Vega Circle and Cosmos Shopping Mall. Good views over the Darjeeling Hills.
- 23 Saluja Residency, Hill Cart Road, ☏ , , . Business Centre is complete with all modern facilities like secretarial services, fax, Internet, e-mail, photocopying. Non-AC ₹750-1050, AC ₹1500-1900, suites ₹3,600-4,900.
- 24 Saffron Crest, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road, Salugara (opp Forest Check Post), ☏ . A modern and well-maintained hotel.
- 25 Summit Milestone, Check Post, 2nd Mile, Sevoke Road (opposite Bhakti Nagar Police Station), ☏ (reservations), (front desk). A lovely hotel with modern facilities and attentive and efficient staff.
- 26 The Vegabound Inn, Vega Circle (Orbit Mall), Sevoke Road, ☏ , .
- 27 Viramma Resort, Hill Cart Road, ☏ . A luxury resort on the Darjeeling highway.
As in all of India, travelers may find themselves falling victim to scams and touts. Be on guard for anybody trying to help you by giving you unsolicited directions or travel advice, and do not openly show that this is your first trip to the city.
If you're arriving after midnight, it is advisable to have accommodation pre-booked and an arranged pick-up from the bus terminal or station. Otherwise, you should have the phone number of a reliable person with you so that you have someone to contact in the event of getting lost or in difficulty.
In general, however, Siliguri is an extremely safe city with a low crime rate, and violent crimes against international travelers are unheard of.
Siliguri Metropolitan Police
- 2 Bagdogra Police Station, Hospital more (PHC), Uttar Bagdogra, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 hr. Police station for Bagdogra.
- 3 Siliguri Police Station, S.F. Road, ☏ , email@example.com. 24 hr. Police station for Siliguri Town.
- 4 Matigara Police Station, Ramkrishanapara, Matigara, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 hr. Police station for Matigara.
- 5 Bhaktinagar Police Station, 2nd Mile, Near Check Post, Sevoke Road, ☏ , email@example.com. 24 hr. Police station for Bhaktinagar.
- 6 Pradhannagar Police Station, Champasari, Near Regulated Market, Ward No- 46, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 hr. Police station for Pradhannagar.
- 7 New Jalpaiguri Police Station, Central colony, D-Block, Ward- 34, ☏ , email@example.com. 24 hr. Police station for New Jalpaiguri.
- Emergency Number, ☏ 112.
- Police, ☏ 100.
- Fire, ☏ 101.
- Ambulance, ☏ 102. or dial the nearest local hospital
- Women's Helpline, ☏ 1091.
Cell phone coverage in the city is excellent. There are three major service providers offering a wide variety of plans. Among them are Airtel, VI (formerly Vodafone) and Jio. Airtel is the preferable one as it provides high quality calls and great internet speed all across the city.
To call Siliguri from abroad you will need to dial the international prefix for your country, followed by India's country code +91. If you want to dial a landline no. from a mobile, then you have to add the area code of Siliguri, 0353 before the number.
Internet services are unreliable in some parts of the city. Most stores have broadband connections. Both the railway stations have free high-speed Wi-fi services but you need an Indian mobile number to register and receive the One-time password.
Local newspapers can be handy and reliable sources for day-to-day updates about the city. The city has number of newspapers and other publication that list local happenings. There are different options for newspapers including daily, weekly and bi-weekly. Some of the popular newspapers are Uttarbanga Sambad, Bartaman, Anandabazar Patrika and The Statesman.
- 8 Darjeeling Bikes (D), Module 105, First Floor Webel IT Park, Phase – III Khaprail Road, Matigara (from Khaprile More take road going to Darjeeling and then first left), ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM-8PM. Bike rental service in Siliguri.
- 9 Darjeeling Riders, B35, Satellite Township, Dabgram, ☏ , , email@example.com. Bike rentals, specializing in tours to Bhutan, Darjeeling, and Sikkim
- 10 Siliguri Bike Rent (D), Aurobindo Pally Main Road Ward no. 22 (Siliguri Aurbindo Pally), ☏ , Info@renttorider.com. 8AM-10PM. Bike & scooty rental service.
There are several banks that offer foreign exchange and ATM service.
- 11 EBIXCASH World Money, 75, Rampada Bhavan, Ground Floor, Near SBI, Mangaldeep Branch, Hill Cart Road (A few steps from Rampada Bhavan), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 9:30AM –6PM. One of India's most trusted foreign exchanges. The branch provides good rates with no hidden charges.
- 12 Aarogyaveda, Mallaguri, Lane, Hill Cart Rd, (opposite Hanuman mandir, Suryasen Colony), ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com. M-Sa 1-2:30PM, 2:30-7PM, Sunday closed. An ayurvedic treatment centre offering natural care and treatment for illnesses.
- 13 Men-Tsee-Khang, Sevoke Road, Salugara, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Sa-Tu 9AM–1PM, 2:30–5:30PM. A Tibetan medicine centre providing treatments to illnesses and astrological services.
- 14 Desun Hospital (beside Medical College), ☏ , email@example.com. Open 24 hours, even during holidays. A modern superspeciality hospital. Hi-tech equipment.
- 15 Neotia Getwel Multispecialty Hospital (Neotia Getwel), Uttorayon Township, Matigara (Behind City Centre Mall), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 24hrs. A multispeciality hospital. Hi–tech, specialized medical facilities. Comprehensive medical care
- 16 North Bengal Medical College and Hospital, D-5 Quarter Sushruta Nagar, ☏ , email@example.com. 24 hr. Located in an old building, but known for its professional treatment.
- 1 Sap Nikla Forest. The forest and nearby lake is a popular tourist destination for travelers visiting the Siliguri area
- Darjeeling — one of the oldest hill stations in India with interesting sites as well as trekking opportunities.
- Gangtok — this hill station is a popular site as a jumping-off point for treks, the home of the Banjhakri Falls, views of surrounding mountains and friendly atmosphere. ₹400 for shared taxi from Siliguri Bus Station (a little more from NJP Station).
- Gompa Dara — a small village that is the site of Gompa Rock and meditation caves and the Ogyen Mindrol Samtenling (Buddhist monastery)
- Jalpaiguri — a city with many historical links to the past
- Jaldapara National Park — this national park is a 180-min drive from Siliguri. It's famous for its wildlife, in particular the Indian rhinoceros, bison, elephants, and peacocks.
- Kalimpong — a small city with many gardens and religious sites.
- Kathmandu. The Indian border town of Panitanki is around one hour from Siliguri. From there, it is 1.7 km to the Nepalese border town of Kakarbhitta (rickshaws available).
- Lava — a hamlet surrounded by beautiful natural forests. Home to the Lava Monastery and a spot to view Kanchenjunga peak at sunrise.
- Loleygaon (Lolegaon) — a village noted for its Canopy Walk, Jhandi Dhara Sunrise Point, and Lolegaon View Point.
- Mangpoo — a small village (hill station) with beautiful views was once known for its medicinal plant cultivation. It was the site where poet laureate Rabindranath Tagore wrote his famous poem Janmadine.
- Mirik — a hill station with scenic views and tea gardens. The town is home to Sumendu Lake, several religious sites, and the international Bokar Buddhist Meditation Centre.
- Phuentsholing — Buses depart for Phuentsholing (Dophu Transport +91 9832071965) at 7:30AM and 2PM every day from opposite Golden Plaza on Burdwan Road (behind Air View More). Tickets are sold at a counter near the bus - ₹300. There are more frequent Indian buses to the border town of Jaigaon from Siliguri Bus Station on Hill Cart Road. In addition, trains depart Silguri Junction at 7:45AM and 1PM (local - around 4 hours) and 8:15AM and 12:30PM (express - around 3 hours) to Hasimara, from where an auto (shared - around ₹30-50, reserved - around ₹300) can be taken to Jaigoan - 20 minutes. Foreign nationals need to complete Indian immigration formalities before entering Bhutan, and so need to alight the bus or auto at the immigration office in Jaigaon.
|Routes through Siliguri (National Highway routes)|
|Gangtok ← Sevoke ←||N S||→ End|
|Darjeeling ← Kurseong ←||N S||→ End|
|Kishanganj ← Islampur ←||W E||→ Alipurduar → Jalpaiguri|
|Routes through Siliguri (railway routes)|
|Darjeeling ← Kurseong ←||N S||→ END|