Jukkasjärvi is a town of around 600 citizens in Kiruna Municipality in northern Sweden. While the town has been a meeting point for the Sami, Finnish and Swedish cultures since the 17th century, it is today best known for the Ice Hotel.
The only connection is by road. Kiruna is some 20 km away, roads continue towards other towns much farther, such as Gällivare. From Troms, Finnmark and Finnish Lapland a route via Karesuando or Pajala may be convenient. There are regular buses from Kiruna.
It is a small village with walking distance size. For much of the year, outdoor clothing is needed even for short walks.
- 1 Sámi Siida - Reindeer park and Sámi camp, Marknadsvägen 84, 981 91 Jukkasjärvi, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Winter season: Dec 1-Apr 14, Daily 10:00–17:00; Summer season: June 17-Aug 11 Daily 10:00-16:00. Visitor center with reindeer and information about the Sámi people. Café and handcraft shop. Accommodation in cabins in winter season. Organizing: reindeer tours, Aurora borealis watching. Winter: Adult 150 SEK, student 100 SEK, children 75 SEK. Summer: Adult 120 SEK, student 100 SEK, children 60 SEK.
- 2 Jukkasjärvi church. The church was built 1607 and extended 1726. It is famous for its altarpiece, made in 1958 by Bror Hjorth, a cubist wood sculptor. Free entrance..
- [dead link]3 days snowmobile tour Jukkasjärvi - tundra. 3 days snowmobile tour Jukkasjärvi - tundra
On this tour you discover the variety of Jukkasjärvi. The trail leads through forest areas, over the tundra regions north of Jukkasjärvi up to the mountains close to the Norwegian border. Meet the Sami people with their reindeers on the way and get to know interesting things about their culture.
- Ice Hotel (Ishotellet). A hotel constructed entirely out of ice. There are many copycats now, but this is the original. For obvious reasons, the 'ice' part of the hotel exists only between November and May, and a stay will cost you upwards of €300/night. They also offer ordinary rooms in the summer. Outdoor activities such as dogsled tours are arranged by the hotel but reservation may be advisable, and cheaper alternatives may be available from companies in nearby Kiruna. Remember that winter in Lapland can be very cold, and though Ishotellet provides snowsuits and boots, you may need to bring equipment such as expedition-grade gloves, face masks, and goggles depending on conditions. Read the weather forecast. It is also possible to visit the ice hotel as a tourist attraction without actually spending a night there. It is worth seeing the ice sculptures in the rooms and in the floors.
Esrange Space Center
Another 20 or so km along the Jukkasjärvi road is the Esrange Space Center (ESC). Run by the Swedish Space Corporation, it provides grounds for the European Space Agency and other institutions' tests and experiments, including rocket and high-altitude balloon launches. Apart from that, ESC is an important station for communication with satellites in polar orbits. The location is outstanding for observations and research of atmospheric phenomena such as northern lights, noctilucent clouds and mother-of-pearl clouds.
- [dead link]Visitor Center - Esrange Space Center (located 45 km from the town of Kiruna, signposted from the E10 road), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. June 8-Aug 19, daily 10:30-17:30, other times on request. Coffee & cookie included. adults SEK 80.