The city of Karawang is a satellite city of Jakarta, about 50 km east of the capital. There are many industrial companies located in and around Karawang, including a lot of factories for Japanese companies. The regency of Karawang also includes extensive rural areas, as well as other towns including Cikampek and Rengasdengklok, and the archeological site of Batujaya.
Karawang is along the major west-east tolled motorway Tol Jakarta-Cikampek, that runs from Jakarta via Bekasi and Karawang to Cikampek. Karawang has two toll road exits: West Karawang is 47 km from the beginning of the toll road at Cawang in East Jakarta, while East Karawang is at km 54.
In addition to the toll road, there are trunk roads from Karawang to the west (to Bekasi), to the north (to Rengasdengklok and Batujaya) and to the east (in the direction of Pamanukan).
The city of Karawang is served by two railway stations. Both 1 Karawang railway station in West Karawang and 2 Klari railway station just outside East Karawang are served by a few economy class trains per day to the west (to Jakarta Kota station in West Jakarta) and to the east (to either Cikampek or Purwakarta).
The main bus terminal of Karawang is 3 Klari bus terminal, on the eastern side of the city, not far from Klari railway station. The terminal is served by highly frequent buses from various bus terminals in Jakarta and from Bandung, as well as by buses from many other cities in Western and Central Java. There is also a direct elf minibus between Karawang and Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (about once per two hours during daytime), but these shuttle buses do not go to the bus terminal, but to the 4 DAMRI bus stop in West Karawang.
The village of Balongsari is about 8 km north of Karawang. Previously, this village was known as Rawagede, and this is the location of the Rawagede Massacre that was committed by Royal Netherlands East Indies Army during the Indonesian War of Independence, on 9 December 1947. Almost all of the males of the village, amounting to 431 men according to most estimates, were killed. A court ruling in the Netherlands in 2011 decided that the Dutch state is fully responsible for the massacre, which was already called "deliberate and merciless" in a United Nations report in 1948.
- 1 Tugu Rawagede (Rawagede Monument), Jl. Monumen Rawagede, Balongsari. Daily 8:00-16:15. Commemorative monument with several sculptures, as well as the 'cemetery for the heroes of Rawagede' (Taman Makan Pahlawan Rawagede). Rp3,000.
- 1 Wonderland Adventure Waterpark, Jl. Galuh MAS Raya, ☏ . Mon-Fri 8:00-19:00, Sat-Sun 8:00-20:00. Water theme park with various water slides, swimming pools, etc. Weekdays Rp70,000, weekends Rp90,000.
- 1 Mall Karawang Central Plaza (KCP), Jalan Galuh Mas Raya. Daily 10:00-22:00. Largest shopping centre in Karawang.
- 1 Restaurant Lebak Sari Indah, Jl. Interchange Tol Karawang Barat No. 1, ☏ . Daily 9:00-22:00. Indonesian (mostly Sundanese) and Chinese food.
- 1 Mercure Karawang, Jl. Galuh MAS Raya, ☏ . Near the KCP shopping mall. With two restaurants, swimming pool with pool-side bar, and fitness and spa facilities. Double rooms from Rp480,000 per night.
- 2 Resinda Hotel Karawang, Jalan Resinda Raya No. 1, ☏ . Luxury hotel with three restaurants, swimming pool, fitness centre, and spa facilities. Double rooms from Rp800,000 per night.