The city of Purwakarta is located about halfway between the metropolitan areas of Greater Jakarta and Bandung, at the foothills of the mountainous Pahrayangan region. The city is the capital of Purwakarta regency, which also includes the Jatiluhur reservoir, the largest artificial lake of Indonesia.
Purwakarta is along the Cipularang toll road that connects the city to the city of Bandung in the south, and Cikampek in the north. At Cikampek, the toll road connects to other toll roads to the west (Jakarta) and east (Cirebon). Purwakarta is served by the toll road exits at KM 76 and KM 84, with the kilometres counting from Cawang in East Jakarta.
In addition to the toll road, there are major trunk roads from Purwakarta to the east (Subang) and northeast (Pamanukan). Smaller roads connect to the mountainous areas in the southeast, including Lembang and Ciater.
The city's station is 1 Purwakarta railway station, which is served by Argo Parahyangan by Executive/Business Class trains to Bandung or to Jakarta, Gambir or Jatinegara stations. But the tariff is same with full trip of Jakarta-Bandung, Rp 100,000 Executive Class and Rp 80,000 Business Class.
There are only two daily economy class trains (lower than business class) to and from Jakarta, Pasar Senen stations for Rp 67,000. In the other direction, there are no choice instead of using Argo Parahyangan.
Most intercity buses stop in Purwakarta at the junction near the Sadang motorway exit (2 Sadang bus stop) at the northern side of the city. There are frequent buses to and from various bus terminals in Jakarta, as well as Bekasi, Bandung, Subang, and Karawang.
- 1 Jatiluhur reservoir (Waduk Jatiluhur), Jatiluhur district (6 km west of Purwakarta city). The largest artificial lake in Indonesia, The Jatiluhur embankment dam serves for the provision of hydroelectric power generation, water supply, flood control, irrigation, and aquaculture. Popular activities at the lake include kayaking, fishing, pedaloing, and swimming. Along the shore there are various places to eat fresh fish.
- Music, Light, Laser Dancing Fountain Park (Taman Air Mancur Sri Baduga or Sri Baduga Fountain Park, Aqua Rapshody), Situ (Lake) Buleud (circle) (2 km south of the central of Purwakarta city). See Music, Light, Laser Dancing Fountain. Provide with amphitheatre for many kinds of shows/attractions (traditional dances and so on) with capacity of 5,000 seats. Has 2,000 of fountain nozzles, various rainbow color of light and 1,000 big and small statues. With relatively dark background color makes all of it is awesome. The other fountains in the world usually have no dark background, limited nozzles, only use one color, no laser, no shows/attractions and no seats. For free, every Friday and Saturday night 07.30 and 08.30 p.m. for 45 minutes each. The best and greatest fountain in Southeast Asia. Free.
- 1 RM Soto Sadang Asli, Jl. Veteran No. 12, Sadang, ☎ . Well-known restaurant selling a local style of soto (soup). Choices include chicken soup, beef soup, and oxtail soup. Main course Rp35,000.
- 1 Hotel Permata Purwakarta, Jalan Raya Sadang-Subang Km. 1, ☎ .
- 2 Hotel Khalista, Jalan Veteran No. 1, ☎ .