The city of Purwakarta is located about halfway between the metropolitan areas of Greater Jakarta and Bandung, at the foothills of the mountainous Pahrayangan region. The city is the capital of Purwakarta regency, which also includes the Jatiluhur reservoir, the largest artificial lake of Indonesia.
Purwakarta is along the Cipularang toll road that connects the city to the city of Bandung in the south, and Cikampek in the north. At Cikampek, the toll road connects to other toll roads to the west (Jakarta) and east (Cirebon). Purwakarta is served by the toll road exits at KM 76 and KM 84, with the kilometres counting from Cawang in East Jakarta.
In addition to the toll road, there are major trunk roads from Purwakarta to the east (Subang) and northeast (Pamanukan). Smaller roads connect to the mountainous areas in the southeast, including Lembang and Ciater.
The city's station is 1 Purwakarta railway station, at which Argo Parahyangan (Executive and Business class) goes both to Bandung or to Jakarta Gambir and Jatinegara station. The tariff is the same as a full trip from Jakarta to Bandung about Rp100,000 for executive class and Rp80,000 for business class.
There are only two daily economy class trains to and from Jakarta, Pasar Senen stations for Rp 67,000. In the other direction, there is no choice other than using Argo Parahyangan.
Most intercity buses stop in Purwakarta at the junction near the Sadang motorway exit (2 Sadang bus stop) at the northern side of the city. There are frequent buses to and from various bus terminals in Jakarta, as well as Bekasi, Bandung, Subang, and Karawang.
- 1 Jatiluhur reservoir (Waduk Jatiluhur), Jatiluhur district (6 km west of Purwakarta city). The largest artificial lake in Indonesia, The Jatiluhur embankment dam serves for the provision of hydroelectric power generation, water supply, flood control, irrigation, and aquaculture. Popular activities at the lake include kayaking, fishing, pedalling, and swimming. Along the shore, there are various places to eat fresh fish.
- Dancing Fountain Park (Taman Air Mancur Sri Baduga or Sri Baduga Fountain Park, Aqua Rhapsody), Situ Buleud (2km from the south of Central Purwakarta). Showtime on Weekends: 7.30PM and 8.30PM. An amphitheatre with the lake Situ Buleud as the main stage for the dancing fountain show. Has the capacity of 5,000 seats for the show. Proclaimed to be the biggest fountain show in Southeast Asia. It is closed since end of July 2019 due to no adequate water in dry season, will be opened in rainy season. Free.
- 1 RM Soto Sadang Asli, Jl. Veteran No. 12, Sadang, ☏ . Well-known restaurant selling a local style of soto (soup). Choices include chicken soup, beef soup, and oxtail soup. Main course Rp35,000.
- 1 Hotel Permata Purwakarta, Jalan Raya Sadang-Subang Km. 1, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Khalista, Jalan Veteran No. 1, ☏ .