Administratively, Lembang is a district in West Bandung regency. The town of Lembang is located about 1,500m above sea level, on the southern slope of the active Tangkuban Perahu volcano. Because of its altitude, the weather in Lembang is noticeably cooler than in the nearby city of Bandung. Bandung's city centre is about 15 km south of Lembang.
Lembang is about 15 km north of the city centre of Bandung. The main road from Bandung to Lembang is Jl. Setiabudi, of which the name changes to Jl. Raya Lembang as soon as crossing the city border. Also from most other places, such as from Jakarta, the easiest way to get to Lembang is via Bandung. There is also a trunk road to Lembang from the north, from Subang via Ciater. Travel time from Bandung to Lembang is around 2 hours of driving; more on weekends and national holidays.
The easiest way to get to Lembang by public transport is by taking an angkot (public minivan) from Bandung on the route Stasiun Hall-Lembang. This route runs from Bandungs central railway station via Ledeng bus terminal (Northwest Bandung) to Lembang. From Ledeng bus terminal, you can also take an elf (a slightly larger type of public minivan) to Subang, via Lembang and Ciater.
Using your own car or renting a car is probably the easiest and the most convenient way to travel to Lembang from Bandung. If you don't have a valid driving license, then you can also rent a car with a chauffeur, which is very common for western travelers.
Rental cars are available from numerous outlets, including major international brands.
By online ride-hailing apps
Online taxis such as Grab are available in Lembang, but only in limited streets, along Jalan Setiabudhi, Jalan Raya Lembang and Jalan Pasir Ipis up to Panorama Lembang Market. The trip can be made in one day due to most of the tourists sites are located in this area (see 'Do' section). There are no online taxis in Maribaya and Tangkuban Perahu area. Most online taxis will certainly be pleased to drop you in Lembang, typically between Rp40,000 - Rp 80,000, with minimum tariff Rp15,000.
- 1 Bosscha Observatory, Jl. Peneropongan Bintang, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. on reservation. Built in 1923 by Nederlandsch-Indische Sterrekundige Vereeniging (Association of Dutch-Indies Astronomers), this is the only observatory in Indonesia. It is now part of the Dept. of Astronomy, Institute Technology Bandung. To visit there, ask the department administration first for a reservation.
- Reservation must be made 1 month before.
- Bosscha is closed on national holidays, Sunday and Monday.
- Day visit at 9:00, 12:00 (except Friday at 13:00) and 15:00.
- Public night (17:00-19:30), between April–October, with some presentations and demos. Ask there for a specific date as this public night is open at the 7th & 8th of the lunar month.
- Special visits can be arranged, subject to availability.
- 1 Tangkuban Perahu, Jalan Raya Tangkuban Parahu no 282 (From Lembang take angkot to Cikole or Subang (black angkot) to the park entrance. It is possible to hire angkot (charter) to the top and back (approximatelly Rp100,000 for a car, negotiate with the drivers at the entrance). The most well known mountain in Bandung. Called so because it resembles a capsized boat from a distance. There are three craters, the main crater Ratu, the secondary Upas right next to it, and the small Domas 20 minutes away downhill on foot from the two craters. While you cannot get down to the crater because of its very steep elevation (and is fenced), you can still enjoy the marveling view of Ratu and Upas. It's a photographer's paradise! Unfortunately, most tourists only tend to see these two craters and forget Domas, the only crater that can get you an up close and personal encounter. You'll feel what a typical volcano has to offer, such as bubbling mud, boiling water, and hissing smell of sulphur, within a safe distance of course. You can even boil an egg by dunking it in the hot water! But to see Domas Crater you have to hire formal guide which in fact it is not necessary. That being said, if you do not want to buy anything, politely and persistently say "No" to the pushy vendors that sells souvenirs and the other vendors will not offer you anymore, because they offer someone in a queue. Junuary 2018: price on weekends for Indonesian: Rp30,000, for non-Indonesian Rp300,000. On weekdays: Rp20,000 and Rp200,000 respectively.
- Hot spring resorts can be found on the northern side of the Tangkuban Perahu volcano, in the town of Ciater.
- Farm House Susu Lembang, Jalan Raya Lembang No.108, Gudangkahuripan, Lembang, West Java 40391, ☎ . Daily from 9AM-8PM. Theme park with European-style buildings.
- 1 Kampung Daun, Villa Triniti complex, Jalan Sersan Bajuri KM. 4,7, ☎ . Daily 11:00-23:00. Sundanese food. You eat at a hut in the middle of valley near a small waterfall and river. At night it's really amazing to walk along candlelit pathways. Eating out really means eating out here. The atmosphere here is enchanting and magical. Lots of trees, bushes and secluded "pondok" small huts for relaxing and food, cool as it is set in a valley with the sound of running water from the waterfall beside you. Food prices are higher than in Bandung because you need to cover the cost of the use of the huts. About Rp50,000-100,000 for a main course.
- 2 The Peak Resort Dining, Komplek Girandah Desa Karyawangi, Ciwaruga, Parongpong, ☎ . Sun-Fri 9:00-midnight, Sat 9:00-2:00.
- 3 Warung Sate Kelinci Pa Sapri, Jalan Raya Lembang KM 12,8, ☎ . Open 24 hours. Known for the sate kelinci or rabbit satay (skewers), the restaurant also has a few other dishes including chicken satay and goat satay, as well as fried noodles and rice. Meal including drink about Rp30,000.
Lembang is known in Indonesia for its milk production, and many shops, roadside stalls, and cafés in and around the town sell susu segar Lembang (fresh milk from Lembang).
- 1 Serba Susu Lembang, Jl. Seskoau No.7, ☎ . Daily 8:00-22:00. One of the famous milk cafés in Lembang, selling also yoghurt, ice cream, pastries, etc.
- 1 Grand Hotel Lembang, Jalan Raya Lembang No. 272, ☎ . Well-known hotel established during the colonial time in 1916. With swimming pool, tennis court, and football field. Double rooms from Rp578,000 per night.
- [/ Hotel Pesona Bamboe], Jalan Raya Lembang No. 227, ☎ . 3-stars hotel. Near Indomaret and near sticky rice food stalls and other cheap and moderate food prices. Classic Pool View with Breakfast Rp 375,000. There are also Family Room for 4 persons with 2 twin with drawer beds, but breakfast is only for 2 persons Rp 500,000. Additional breakfast is free for children under 5 years old, Rp 45,000 per person for age 5 to 10 and Rp 75,000 per person for age over 10 years old.
- 2 Villa Roberni, Villa Istana Bunga, V3 North Bandung, Parongpong, ☎ , , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.