Designated as a national marine park. Karimunjawa consists of many small islands, with the main ones being Karimunjawa island, Kemujan island, Menjangan Besar island, and Menjangan Kecil island.
Since June 2016, there is 24 hours of electricity in most places in Karimunjawa.
Karimun means not obvious, because in the clear weather Karimunjawa can be seen from Jepara Coast, but stil not clearly. Karimunjawa was originally settled by Sunan Nyamplungan, the son of Sunan Muria, one of the Muslim Saints (Sunan) who introduced Islam to Java.
Mostly low lying islands with sandy beaches. There is some fringing mangrove around Kemujan island.
Flora and fauna
One can find various kinds of sea animals, like turtles, sharks, and fishes, in the watery territory of Karimunjawa. In the land, especially in Karimunjawa island and Kemujan island, one can find many kinds of birds, deer, and even snakes.
Tropical. It is very hot here in the dry season (approximately April to October) and wet and humid in the rainy season (December till March).
There are planes with Airfast from Semarang and Surabaya that fly to Dewandaru Airport in Kemujan island. There also a regular ferry that sails from Jepara port to Karimunjawa island, except during the monsoon season from December to February when the waves may be too high for a day or two in a row, except in severe cases like on December 31, 2014 when about 500 tourists cannot go back to Java due to 3.5 meters high waves and the ATMs run out of money after 3 days used, because some of the coal cargos also landed to avoid high waves and its crew also use the ATMs. Cash for at least 5 days should be prepared, because vendors still have their merchandises.
In Karimunjawa and Kemujan island, you can rent a car or motorcycle. To get to the other islands, you can use a local boat or motorboat. Inter-island transportation can be booked at the following link, where you can also view timetables. Note: It might be a good idea to book a rental car before you arrive in Karimunjawa because there are few cars there.
The island beaches and beautiful coral reefs.
Many resorts in Karimunjawa, such as Kura-kura resort, provide diving activities. There are many interesting local spots for diving, like Taka Panyawangan and Gosong Cemara. There are some shipwrecks that attract many fish and divers alike. You can also go hiking around the island to find many places where there is a beautiful panorama
The best known handicrafts in Karimunjawa are its wood carvings, and many shops sell them.
Many people also go to Karimunjawa to find the dewandaru plant. They believe that dewandaru plants can make their life longer.
There are no bars or clubs on the island. It is difficult to find alcohol on the island. Alcoholic beverages are served in the luxury resort Breeve Azurine, restaurant Eet & Meat and hostel The Happinezz. A beer costs Rp.45.000.
Bottled water is a must and can be bought readily. At meals, seasonal fresh fruit juice is a treat (mango, orange, avocado).
Surrounded by seas, Karimunjawa provides lots of sea food. Fresh fish and prawns are staples in the island diet. Restaurants are located within hotels. Other eateries, or 'warungs', provide decent cheap food like fried rice, fish, or an assortment of veggies. Be flexible and you'll do fine.
There are various kinds of accommodation there, from the four star hotels to homestays. There are also camping sites.
- The Happinezz, The Happinezz is one of the nicest hostels in the centre of Karimunjawa. They offer five clean and comfortable rooms with private bathroom, fan, WiFi, 24 hours electricity and breakfast. In the common area they have a large shared kitchen. The indoor/outdoor lounge area is a relaxing and cosy place to meet other travellers, share experiences, make music and watch movies.
- Jojo Homestay, a three bedroom homestay in Karimunjawa.
- Roemah Emak Villa, a relax home for family, next to the beach
- Melati hotel
- Blue Lagoon hotel
- Dewandaru hotel
- Wisma Apung floating hotel
- Escape Beach hotel
- Kura-kura Resort, in Menyawakan island. Covered by coconut trees and surrounded by white sandy beaches and pristine coral reefs. It's a high class hotel with scuba facilities.
- Nirwana Laut Resort, a luxury resort with many facilities.
- Paradise Resort, private time share and holiday home. With a private entrance from the main road you experience the most amazing views high above the tree line overlooking the bay, national park and outer islands.