Kartli is a region in central Georgia containing Tbilisi, Mtskheta, Mount Kazbeg and the Georgian Military Highway.
- 1 Tbilisi – The biggest, busiest and most popular city, as well as capital of Georgia
- 2 Gori – A city known for its Stalin cult and the nearby famous Uplistsikhe
- 3 Gudauri – Mainly a popular ski resort
- 4 Stepantsminda / Kazbegi – Famous for the spectacularly situated Gergeti Trinity Church, as well as one of the highest mountains in Europe, Mount Kazbeg
- 5 Mtskheta – A UNESCO world heritage site
- 6 Rustavi – Famous for its Sioni Church, and the Auto Trade Center, the biggest for used cars in the Caucasus
- 7 Khashuri
Georgian is the principal language throughout most of Kartli, but there is a significant section of southern Kvemo Kartli (around Gardabani), where most residents are Azeri speakers and you may be able to communicate effectively with knowledge of Turkish. Speaking Russian will help best in areas where ethnic minorities live, where it is the lingua franca. It is spoken to various degrees by most older people, including by many taxi drivers, but this is no longer to be completely relied upon. The younger generation is increasingly speaking English due to hostility towards Russia, and also because English is taught in schools since independence and has replaced Russian as a second language in schools nation-wide. When in need for help, look for younger people, as they are more likely to know some English.
Bordering regions to the west are Samtskhe-Javakheti and Rioni Region, and to the east Kakheti, which all have numerous (mini)buses every day running into Tbilisi and by Gori as well as Mtskheta from its major destinations and cities (and vice-versa) – read there.
Generally, everything is true what is mentioned under the same section in the Georgia country article.
Bus-wise, most connections are explained under Tbilisi or under the above mentioned cities. Of course travelling by car is an option. Also hitch-hiking is very easy, even in remote regions.
- 1 Uplistsikhe – A 3,600 year old Silk Road cave city that was a major regional center of Caucasian pagan religion
- 2 Ananuri (60 km north of Tbilisi along the road to Gudauri and Kazbegi). A beautiful castle and monastery overlooking the Zhinvali Reservoir.
- 3 Trialeti and Algeti National Park, Nichbisi-Didgori-Didi Toneti Botisi (60 km west of Tbilisi). Close-by Algeti Lake.
- 4 Dmanisi archaeological site (93 km southwest of Tbilisi). A bronze age settlement and the 1.8 million year-old fossilized remains of the first human in Europe have been discovered here.
- The 5 Georgian Military Highway – one of the world's more spectacular roads, the highway cuts through the Greater Caucasus and was built by the Russian Empire in the 19th century to facilitate its conquest of the Caucasus.
- 6 Shatili. A remote and less touristic mountain region. From here, hikes as well as tours with horses towards Omalo in Tusheti National Park can be undertaken, crossing the Atsunta Pass.
- Ski in Gudauri
- Hiking in one of the southwestern national parks and forests of Kartli, as well as in the Kazbegi region
Comprehensive details on transport options are available under Tbilisi#Get in.
The following regions and its destinations are next to Kartli:
- Samtskhe-Javakheti – Famous for Borjomi and Vardzia
- Rioni Region – Famous for Kutaisi, Chiatura and Oni
- Kakheti – Famous for David Gareja Monastery Complex, Sighnaghi, Gurjaani and the mountain region of Tusheti
- Ijevan – The first destination when coming from Georgia / Tbilisi and popular for its post-soviet feel and the surrounding mountains
- Sevan – The nearby lake (biggest in Armenia) is a famous summer destination
- Yerevan – The capital, a must see and conveniently located for exploring Armenia
as well as Azerbaijan, and especially the following cities:
- Ganja – The first major city, coming from Tbilisi, and popular for its architecture and nearby hiking destination, Goygol National Park
- Baku – The capital, cosmopolitan and spectacular, best reached by night train
- Qax (Qakh) – A popular and remote city near the Caucasus, great for hiking into the Caucasus
- Zaqatala – Similar to Qax, though a little more touristic