Kearney is a city in South Central Nebraska.
Kearney Municipal Airport offers service to Denver, Colorado
The city is connected to Interstate 80 by two exits. Highway 30 (a main street to the city) also provides entrances to the city.
- 1 Museum of Nebraska Art (near downtown Kearney). Offers artwork created by Nebraskans.
- 2 University of Nebraska-Kearney, 2504 9th Ave, ☏ . The campus is a sprawling well-cared for college located on the west side of the city.
- Sandhill cranes. Hundreds of thousands of sandhill cranes migrate through the Kearney area in March. The cranes stay for a few weeks, eating corn and roosting in the protection of the Platte River. After the birds gain enough weight, they continue their migration further north.
- 3 The Great Platte River Road Archway (Archway Monument), 3060 East 1st St (I-80 Exit 275), ☏ , toll-free: . Memorial Day-Labor Day: M-Sa 9AM-6PM, Su noon-6PM; off-season: M-Sa 9AM – 5PM, Su noon–5PM. Visitors center, shop, hike/bike trails, maze and picnic area on 90 acres which include an archway across I-80. Admission fee applies only to the historic exhibits, which describe the Platte River's role in American history including the Oregon Trail and Lincoln Highway eras. $12/adult, $11/senior (62+), $6/youth (6-12).
- 4 Classic Car Collection, 3600 US-30 B (get on W 25th St, which will turn into Highway 30 and head east; it's next to Cabela's, and if you go past the bridge, you've gone too far), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Th-Su noon-5PM, last admittance at 4:15PM. A collection of 200 rare and classic cars covering the entire 20th century, including early motor buggies, 1950s Cadillacs, and modern collector cars. Combined with a collection of Americana along with it, if you're into classic cars this is a must visit. $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, $6 for children, children under 5 free.
Established in 1848 to protect travellers on the Oregon Trail against attacks by natives, abandoned in 1871. Now a State Historical Park with camp sites.
- 5 Fort Kearny, 1020 V Rd, ☏ . Memorial Day - Labor Day. During the wagon trail colonization of the Old West, this outpost represented a rare chance to buy supplies, get medical help, or send letters back east. All of the present buildings are reconstructions. $6/car (additional fees for hunting, boating).
- Tri-City Storm. A USHL hockey team plays at Viaero Event Center, located on the southwest side of the main Interstate 80 interchange at mile marker 272.
- 1 Cabela's, 3600 US-30, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-9PM, Su 10AM-7PM. Offers a wide range of sporting goods and outdoor apparel for hunting, fishing and camping even though it's smaller than most other Cabala's stores.
- Hilltop Mall, 5011 2nd Ave, ☏ . Located on the northern edge of the city offers a few mall shops and is located near a Super Wal-mart, K-Mart, Target and a Menard's home repair store which is located further north on the extreme north end of town.
- 2 Buffalo Records, 19 E 21st St (On the corner of E 21st St and Avenue A, across from Thunderhead Brewing), ☏ . Tu-W 4-7PM, Th-Sa noon-8PM, Su 2-4PM, M closed. Boasting over 5000 records from all genres, this shop provides a great place to browse old classics and new hits. Feel free to try out a record at the listening table before you buy. Live music hosted as well.
Various fast food outlets are found near the Interstate including a McDonalds, Burger King, Runza, Red Lobster, Old Chicago and a Perkins family restaurant.
- Valentino's Buffet (Hilltop Mall).
- Grandpa's Steak House (south of Interstate 80). Offers upscale dining, locally known for their steak.
- 1 Thunderhead Brewing, 18 E 21st St (On the corner of E 21st St and Avenue A, across from the police station), ☏ . 11AM-midnight. Serving their in-house beer along with a menu of pizzas, Thunderhead provides a good place to unwind after a long day. Happy Hour is Monday-Friday 4-6PM. $5.50/pint.
The various hotels on the southern end near the Interstate including a Ramada Inn, a Best Western and a Holiday Inn.
- Econolodge, 709 2nd Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Rodeway Inn & Suites, 411 2nd Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Large rooms, each with a microwave and refrigerator.
Safety issues often amount to the common sense you'd take in most cities. Keep valuables and expensive electronics out of sight and don't go out at night alone. Lock your car and park under well lit areas. Be weary of any fights you see; chances are it is a rouse. Also be mindful to cover your card number when withdrawing money from ATMS.
|Routes through Kearney|
|North Platte ← Brady ←||W E||→ Grand Island → Omaha|
|North Platte ← Brady ←||W E||→ Grand Island → Missouri Valley|