Khidistavi (ხიდისთავი) is a village in the Guria region. The village is located in the Chokhatauri district 9 km southwest from the district center and 23 km east regional capital Ozurgeti. Khidistavi is located on the access road to Nabeglavi and Bakhmaro. The village is known due to the numerous swimming places in mountain rivers.
The village is located by the river Gubaseuli, in the foothills of the Lesser Caucasus and was founded around the 1870s. The name derives from the local Khidistavibridge over the river from and means "bridgehead". The former wooden bridge was washed away in the past during floods repeatedly, so that only the bridgeheads were left. Mid-20th century, the bridge was replaced by a concrete bridge chip, which has since been stable. It is named after the poet and writer Nodar Dumbadze, who lived in Khidistavi.
The surrounding villages live mainly from agriculture. During the Soviet era these villages were also popular places as summer resorts, pioneer camps and recreational spaces. Khidistavi is lively, especially in summer when the expatriates coming to rest. In winter, the town is almost dead.
Climate: Subtropical. Mild, wet winters. Warm, humid summers. The clouds that are blown away by the zoom Westwind over Black Sea, remain in the nearby mountains of the Lesser Caucasus and rain hanging off here. Therefore, it can rain often in the summer, usually are the brief summer storms, some with heavy rain.
Nearest airports with scheduled services are located in Batumi (85km) and Kutaisi (about 50 km). A taxi to or from the Kutaisi airport costs as of summer 2014 about 30 lari.
The nearest train station is located in Ozurgeti about 30 km away. Another useful option is the Samtredia station about 45 km northeast of Khidistavi. A taxi from Samtredia costs about 25 lari from Ozurgeti 15 lari.
You can catch a minibus (marshutka) from Chokhatauri or minibus going to Bakhmaro from Ozurgeti during summer season. Minibuses or Marschrutkas keep in Khidistavi in the village center at the beautiful bus stop. Marschrutkas go irregularly from Chokhatauri or Ozurgeti to Khidistawi. Also from Tbilisi (bus station "Dedakalaki" above the Central Station) depart daily at 8 clock in the morning (about 5 hours, 17 lari).
Better bus services from the or in the nearby regional centers, and also to Batumi and Tbilisi have been from Chokhatauri, but especially from Ozurgeti. From there you can take a taxi or auto stop.
Khidistavi lies on the regional road Chokhatauri-Bakhmaro. From Chokhatauri drive to Bakhmaro and about 9 km away you will reach Khidistavi.
You can easily walk in Khidistavi. In the surrounding area a car or a mountain bike is recommended (for the side streets: SUV). Even auto-stop is a good way to move forward and.
The 1 Nodar Dumbadze-Bridge Nodar Dumbadze-Bridge, a simple, narrow concrete bridge from the 1950s, spans the river Gubaseuli. You can reach the main square of the town by a tall maple tree whose canopy leaves appear on the bridge like a tunnel. 2 The bus stop with splendid mosaics, one of the finest in the country, is located on the main square. Furthermore you will find the Former 3 Univermag - a constructivist functional building from the 1970s, now vacant; and the Urban Park with 4 Monument dedicated to Stalin's speech.
In the center you will find also 5 Former town hall, abandoned today; Former 6 (1924-2008) (not accessible) and an 7 old watermill: All technical details like water wheel are still present. The mill is now electrically driven
- 8 Nodar Dumbadze Memorial Museum (ნოდარ დუმბაძის სახლ-მუზეუმი), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sun. 10 AM - 5 PM. Nodar Dumbadze Memorial Museum Chokhatauri Was founded in 1988. Museum houses materials depicting life of famous Georgian writer Nodar Dumbadze. free of charge.
- Mose Gogiberidze Memorial Museum (მოსე გოგიბერიძის სახლ-მუზეუმი), ☏ . Tu-Sun. 10 AM - 5 PM. Mose Gogiberidze Memorial Museum Chokhatauri Was founded in 1977. Museum houses materials depicting life of famous Georgian Philosopher Mose Gogiberidze. free of charge.
- Hiking and trekking in 1 Bakhmaro mountains. There are paths trough the woods going to Bakhmaro from Khidistavi village
Whitewater Baden: The rivers in and around the place can be awarded in the summer to use for a cool refreshment.
- 2 Tchuriistskali (ჭურიისწყალი). a walk about 20 minutes from the center on a slippery slope discloses a natural hot tub with waterfall. You can jump into the natural pool even without danger and can be massaged at the rapids in the river. In the summer is always busy, popular among young people.
- 3 Large stones (დიდი ქვები). these massive rocks can be found after 20 minutes walk from the center in the middle of the river Gubaseuli, they can be used to sunbathe on. Popular with slightly older people. Access trough a private garden, ask kindly about access the owner.
- 4 Schotaia (შოთაია). small sandy beach. Access trough Didi Kvebi and then a little bit along the river upstream or directly from the street through a narrow and steep path.
- 5 Akvania (აკვანია).
- 6 Lake of Luba (ლუბას ტბა). about an hour's walk from the town center, lake is located on one side of the creek Gubaseuli a natural lake which invites for swimming and cliff jumping. There is even a small sandy beach. Difficult to reach, it was very quiet
- 7 Dzhikoia (ჯიქოია). On the island of gravel beneath the Nodar Dumbadze-Bridge you will also gladly bathed and sunbathed.
- 8 Satavani (სათავანი). You can swim at the nice place where the river from Lubas Lake meets Gubaseuli. Water is deep enough to jump from this very weir into the water.
- 9 Sashvalo (საშვალო). A little further away from the center. You have to go through a private property. There is an old house, in front of a real art nouveau bedstead. At the big rocks you pass on the right and follow a steep path to the river Sashvalo. Which you follow about 100 meters upstream to the confluence of another river (Kalascha) by looking in flow direction right side. Now follow this river for about 30 meters and reach a small natural lake with a sandy beach.
Caution: swimming places are neither protected nor supervised and also there is no infrastructure developed. You should be an experienced swimmer. Watch on sharp rocks that lie just below the water surface and are not visible. Risk of injury. Avoid jumping into unknown waters. Ii is Better to ask locals where to swim.
Buy very delicious honey in Khidistavi, from local people. Some small stores can be found in the center of Khidistavi, open-air markets can be found in Nabeglavi during summer season
At the bus stop in the town center, there are three small mini markets where one gets everything vital. In most of them there is also a vending machine where you can charge your mobile phone with the bank. In addition to the bus stop and fresh fruit and vegetables sold in the daytime.
- 1 The Berdnidse family (ბერძნიძეების ოჯახი), ☏ . sells homemade honey and honey vodka. about 3 km east of the road to Bakhmaro Khidistavi turn left after the rock wall at the first houses, note the small, hand-painted sign "თაფლი" (Tapli = honey). The son of the family speaks well German, but is rarely at home. honey 1 kg 15 Lari; vodka 1 l 12 Lari.
- 2 The Gudavadze family (გუდავაძეების ოჯახი), ☏ . sells homemade honey honey 1 kg 15 Lari.
There is no restaurant. For this you have to go to Chokhatauri or Ozurgeti. But if you are lucky, you may be invited and get offered homemade products: house wine, home-distilled, cheese and honey. Just try.
There is little crime. Police cars are patrolling repeatedly. Some native plants in the garden or in the forest Marijuana. You may get invited to try it, but Hands off! If you are caught with drugs in Georgia, the draconian punishments may ensue.
- See also: Georgian phrasebook
Gurians speak much more quickly than average Georgians from other regions, so it is more complicated to understand them. When in need for help, look for younger people; they are more likely to know some English.