Bakhmaro (ბახმარო) is a health resort in Southwestern Georgia.
Bakhmaro is popular in summer, it is nationally famous for long mountain walks and for the traditional horse races, which takes place every year on 19 August. The resort is located in the basin of the upper reaches of the river Bakhvistskali. Bakhmaro was discovered in early 1890s. The majority of buildings in Bakhmaro are wooden bungalows that are inhabited in summer, especially July and August, by travelers.
Well developed regional road connects Bakhmaro to Chokhatauri. The approximately 50 km road from chokhatauri is paved and in good condition. Bakhmaro is difficulty accessible only from November to April. Riding a car lasts from one and a half hours from Chokhatauri. To reach the resort you have to be careful that the radiator does not begin to cook on the downhill, the brakes are not hot.
An alternative route of driving is there from Khulo in Adjara, but this is not much more than a track and therefore only accessible by jeep.
You can easily walk in and around Bakhmaro. But you can also rent a horse (20 lari per hour) or quads.
Of course, the great mountain panorama is the main attraction of the town and its immediate surroundings.
- 1 Spring of Beauty (სილამაზის წყარო). Very cold water source. The path starts from Vakijvari Street and goes down in the woods.
- 2 Lonely Stone (ობოლი ქვა). Very cold water source. The path starts from Vakijvari Street and goes down in the woods.
- 1 Attend Horse Race (დოღი). August 19 (the day of the Transfiguration of Our Lord) is an important day in Bakhmaro, where the large traditional horse race will be held. The spectacle attracts several thousand visitors from the region but also from other regions too. The beginning of the race is usually about 13:00.
- 2 Watch Sunrise (მზის ამოსავალი). from a "Sunrise hill". You have to at 02:00 and reach the highest point of the mountain.
- 3 Zotikeli (ზოტიყელი). Path to an aul Zotikeli from mountain resort Bakhmaro goes in the beautiful gorge of river Bakhvistskali. Every 12 August a horse race is held in Zotikeli.
Apart from a few small mini markets in the resort, there is no shopping. However you can buy some delicious homemade milk products and wooden toys from local people. There is also a market where fruits and vegetables can be bought.
There is no restaurant. For this you have to go to Chokhatauri or Ozurgeti. But if you are lucky, you may be invited and get offered homemade products: house wine, home-distilled, cheese and honey. Just try.
There are a few places offering food. One restaurant is just down the bazar area and another one further down the main road and close to the river. The latter serves draft beer for 3 lari and is open 24/7 according to its owners.
Most of the accommodation consists of simple wooden cabins (bungalows). The toilets are outside the house, the water comes from a source nearby. They are rented usually only a weekly or seasonal basis. However, there is only one proper hotel in Bakhmaro.
- Guesthouse by Nino, ☏ . 30 lari for a double.
- 1 Hotel Bakhmaro (სასტუმრო ბახმარო). US$50 per night/person.
There is some pharmacies and a small Hospital "Mamkoli".
The reception of the mobile networks is excellent in the resort, there are some dead spots in the mountains.