Kneehill County is a rural area in Central Alberta named after the creek the runs through area. It is predominantly agricultural, with its main population centre being the small town of Three Hills. It is located along the northwestern edge of the Alberta Badlands, an area associated with Southern Alberta.
Three Hills was incorporated as a village in 1912, the year it was moved to its current location on the Canadian Northern Railway. With ranchers and farmers constituting its first residents, it soon became a centre for the surrounding wheat-growing area. In 1922, the Prairie Bible Institute (now called Prairie College) was established in Three Hills and has a 130-acre (0.53 km2) campus located on the northwest portion of the town. Three Hills gains its name for three small, adjacent hills located north of town.
- 1 Three Hills – population 3,200; the main town and service centre of the area
- 2 Trochu – population 1,100; home of historic St. Ann's Ranch
- 3 Acme – population 650; first incorporated village in the region when the railway was constructed
- 4 Carbon – population 450; former coal mining town
- 5 Linden – population 830; originally settled by members of the Mennonite church
- 6 Torrington – population 170; home of the Gopher Hole Museum
- 1 Prairie College, 350 5th Avenue N, Three Hills, ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com. Christian college. Check the website learning opportunities or different events.
- Carbon Farmers' Exchange Museum, 414 Caradoc Ave, Carbon, ☏ .
- Kneehill Historical Museum, 1301 2nd Street N, Three Hills, ☏ . Seasonal operation: May 15 - September 15.
- Three Hills Cruise Weekend, firstname.lastname@example.org. Western Canada's largest, showcases classic cars & motorcycles; includes show & shine along Main St in downtown Three Hills, bracket racing, poker rally & live music. First weekend in June.
- 2 Torrington Gopher Hole Museum, 208 1st Street S, Torrington, ☏ . June 1 - September 30: 10AM-5PM.
- 3 World’s Largest Golf Tee, 101 Devilder Avenue, Trochu. The towering 12 m (40 ft) tall tee stands just outside the Trochu Golf and Country Club.
Three Hills has a golf course, an arena, curling rink, and indoor pool.
- 1 Dry Island Buffalo Jump Provincial Park, ☏ . This park is day use only, but picnic sites with firepits are available. Camping may be done at Tolman east or west campgrounds at the south end of the Park.
- 2 Good Knights' Medieval Encampment, 235035 Township Road 310 (10 km S of Three Hills and 1 km E of Hwy 21 on Twp Rd 310), ☏ , info@GoodKnights.ca. Medieval-themed glamping destination with the choice of seven medieval-themed tents. Costumes are provided for guest use. Guests can participate in a number of medieval activities - including long-bow archery, craft classes, and sword & chivalry class. Weekend stays also include a medieval feast.
- Acme Golf Club, Range Road 255, Acme (near the intersection of Hwys 575 & 806), ☏ , email@example.com.
- Three Hills Golf Club, 242022 Township Road 314, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trochu Golf & Country Club, 101 Devilder Ave, Trochu, ☏ , email@example.com.
Eat & drink
- Bell 720 Restaurant & Bar, 750 2nd Street N, Three Hills, ☏ .
- Country Cousins Bistro & Bakery, 110 1 Street NE, Linden, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Harvest House, 126 4th Avenue N, Three Hills, ☏ .
- High Seas Coffee Company, 107 Central Avenue E, Linden, ☏ , email@example.com. M-W,F 8AM-6PM; Th 8AM-10PM; Sa 8AM-4PM.
Bed & breakfast
- 1 St. Ann Ranch, 331062A Range Rd 234 (King George Avenue), Trochu, ☏ , toll-free: . Bed & breakfast and Provincial Historic Site.
- 2 Braconnier Dam Campground, Highway 21 (5 km S of Three Hills), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 10 unserviced sites. $20.
- East Coulee Campground, 1 Ave NW, Linden. 7 sites with water and electrical $25.
- 3 Keiver's Lake Campground, Range Road 260 (15 km S of Torrington; 20 km W of Three Hills), ☏ , email@example.com. Located on Keivers Lake; 34 sites. Serviced (power & water) - $35; unserviced - $25.
- 4 Swalwell Dam Campground, Range Road 244 (3 km SW of Swalwell; 25 km SW of Three Hills), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 10 unserviced sites $20.
- Three Hills Campground, 1401 2nd Street NE (Hwy 583), Three Hills, ☏ . 47 sites, combination of full service, power only, and no service. Full Service - $35; Power only - $20; unserviced - $15.
- Torrington Campground, Highway 27, Torrington, ☏ , email@example.com. 5 unserviced sites $20.
- Trochu Municipal Campground, Elevator Road, Trochu, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 38 full service sites $30/night; $175/week; $600/month.
- Best Western Diamond Inn, 351 7th Avenue N, Three Hills, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Lamplighter Inn, 702 2nd Street N, Three Hills, ☏ .
- Super 8 by Wyndham Three Hills, 208 18th Avenue N, Three Hills (At the intersection of Highways 21 and 583), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
Explore the heart of Alberta's badlands in Drumheller.
|Routes through Kneehill County|
|Camrose ← Alix ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Strathmore|
|Sundre ← Olds ←||W E||→ Drumheller → END|