The town is known for Tito's bunker, a huge underground complex where the leadership of Yugoslav republic planned its atomic war command. Now it is a remnant of the cold war.
In May 2011 Tito Bunker was opened for the first edition of the Bijenale, the bi-annual contemporary art exhibition in the bunker.
Visits to the Biennial will be organized on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Timetable for organized bus tours will be available at the Konjic Tourist Office: +387 36 728 123. Organized visits to the Biennial must be scheduled two days in advance. You cannot visit the bunker by yourself as the entrance is located inside a military complex.
The town is accessible by both bus (approx. €5, 2011) and train (Sarajevo-Konjic & Sarajevo-Ploče) (approx. €3.5, 2011) from Sarajevo.
Konjic's museum & art gallery opened in 2011. It has a small ethnographic collection, and paintings by local artists. The Mulić Record Museum holds a nationally-important collection of wooden furniture. The Ottoman bridge (built 1682, restored 2007-2010) in the centre of the town.
- 1 Lukomir Village (Selo Lukomir) (1496 m). Lukomir village is the highest and most isolated village in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Lukomir is a symbol of historical, cultural, architectural and ambient heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The way of life has remained unchanged for centuries and traditional medieval way of life of Bosnian nomads is still practiced here. Approachable only on skies or on foot between December and April.
Go rafting on the Neretva!
- 1 Džajica buk (Neretva river rafting), Džajići, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A more elaborate package for rafting on the Neretva river, including an overnight stay in the town of Džajići, and an animation program.
- 2 RaftKor (Neretva river rafting), Varda 40, Konjic, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. White water rafting on the Neretva, starting points in Konjic or Mostar, about 75 minutes from Sarajevo. A shuttle bus is provided for an additional 50 KM. from 70 KM.
- 3 Canyoning Rakitnica river (Visit Konjic), Donje Polje bb, poslovni prostor 2, 88400 Konjic, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The best of the best, Rakitnica canyon takes canyoning to the ultimate level. It is the second deepest canyon in Europe. Rakitnica is physically demanding and technical canyon with high adrenaline factor, full of new surprises in the untouched nature. Between Bjelasnica and Visocica mountains, Rakitnica runs with a unique altitude difference of 800 m (source and estuary). Canyoning tour starts off with a road drive from Konjic to the village of Dubučani. The entire length of the canyoning tour the crystal clear mountain water is drinkable. 160 KM.
- 4 Canoeing Neretva river (Visit Konjic), Donje Polje bb, poslovni prostor 2, 88400 Konjic, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Canoeing on the Neretva river is less wild than rafting, allowing more time to appreciate the exceptional beauty of nature. Starting at 90 KM per person, the price includes transport to the starting point and pick-up afterwards, including dry towels. 90 KM.
- 5 Extreme Rafting (Neretva river rafting), Polje Bijela bb, 88400 Konjic, ☎ . One day rafting down the upper course of the Neretva river without staying overnight. The upper course is in length of 18 km. Starting point just below Bjelimici village and track ends just before Glavaticevo village. The best water level is in April and June, depending on amount of rain during the season. Rapids on this part are up to level 4 and they for sure offer the most adrenaline on Bosnian rivers. Extreme rafting is based on full board, including breakfast, snack and a lunch. The price also includes all taxes, insurance, skipper services, transportation (along the course), equipment and all similar expenses.
- 6 TudupRaft (Rakitnica river canyoning), Polje Bijela b.b, Konjic, ☎ . Rakitnica river canyon is one of the most beautiful canyons in Europe. On this river, around 28 km in length, canyoning tours are available from one up to three days. The one day adventure is 8 km in length through the lower course of the river from Dubrocani village till the firth to the Neretva river.
- 7 White Water Rafting Europe (Neretva river rafting), Kolonija 16, 88400 Konjic, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rafting tours on the Neretva river, with pick-up and return to Sarajevo. Child friendly service.
- 1 Džajića Buk Rooms, Konjic (Džajići (6 km from Konjica)), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Džajića Buk Rooms is set next to Neretva River and features a private beach with sun loungers and parasols, a bar and barbecue facilities. The on-site restaurant and bar feature a terrace with views of the surrounding mountains. All rooms at Rooms Džajića Buk feature natural materials and wood-panelled walls and ceilings, as well as wooden furniture. Rooms feature a safe and a coffee maker. Guests have access to a shared bathroom with shower. The restaurant is decorated in rustic style and serves local specialties and a selection of local wines. Breakfast buffet is served each day. Football and basketball courts are located on site. Guests can park for free on site. The owners can arrange rafting excursions on Neretva River, hiking trips to Prenj Mountain, fishing and hunting trips. Excursions to Boračko Lake and Rakitnice Canyon can also be organised upon request. All guests are offered free pick up service from the bus and train station in Konjic. 10€.