The Cold War is a historical time period which begins in 1945 at the conclusion of World War II (World War II in Europe and the Pacific War) and continues until the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991.
Multiple topics cover this era:
Key rivalries in this time period include:
- The Korean War, which left a bitterly-divided North Korea and South Korea divided by a heavily-fortified demilitarized zone
- The ongoing nuclear arms race between the United States of America and the Soviet Union.
- The Cuban revolution, Cuban missile crisis and US embargo of the island nation
- The Indochina Wars, which ended in a humiliating US withdrawal and full communist control over Vietnam
- The race for space, which began with Sputnik in 1957 and ended with multiple US moon landings in 1969-1972.
- The civil war in Nicaragua, beginning with the fall of (US backed) Somoza and ending with a bizarre combination of military victory and electoral defeat for the left wing FSLN