Krasnoyarsk (region) is a region within Krasnoyarsk Krai. This region borders Taymyria to the north, Evenkia to the northeast, Irkutsk Oblast to the southeast, Tyva to the south, Khakassia, Kemerovo Oblast and Tomsk Oblast to the southwest, Khantia-Mansia to the west and Yamalia to the norhtwest.
- 1 Krasnoyarsk — the administrative capital and Siberia's third largest city
- 2 Igarka — has a useful airport, located in the extreme north of the region, near Taymyria
- 3 Kansk — Krasnoyarsk Krai's second most important city
- 4 Minusinsk — Important Archaeological center and ancestral homeland of the Kyrgyz people
- 5 Uzhur
- 6 Yeniseysk — one of the first cities of Siberia and a proposed Unesco World Heritage site
- 7 Zelenogorsk — a closed city
- 8 Zheleznogorsk — another closed city
- 1 Ergaki — a beautiful ski and nature resort located about 180km from Minusinsk (12 hour bus ride from Krasnoyarsk
- 2 Sayano-Shushensky nature reserve
Brush up on your Russian or otherwise you will need a guide for any extensive travel in this region.
The Trans-Siberian Railway and its spokes are the fastest way to move around the southern part of the region, although there is also a cheap and extensive bus network. Going to the northern panhandle, however, is a long enough journey where it would be foolish not to fly to Igarka from Krasnoyarsk.