"Krimvelde" was first mentioned in a deed around 1005. From the middle of the 12th century on, Krefeld's fate was determined by that of the counts of Moers. Owing to the special connections to the Emperor, in 1373 the Moerser Count received through a deed the right to raise Krefeld to city status. Krefeld is also called the "Velvet and Silk City".
Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS IATA) with many international connections is just 20 km from Krefeld. It takes about an hour to connect from the terminal to Krefeld main station using public transport (S-Bahn and underground). Taxi costs around 50 €. When traveling with low-cost carriers like Ryanair, you may arrive at Weeze/Niederrhein Airport (NRN IATA), 50 km from Krefeld. From there, it takes one hour by bus and train to go to Krefeld main station.
Once a day an intercity train arrives from Berlin, Hanover and Aachen. Otherwise, you will usually have to change in Düsseldorf (from where the underground goes to Krefeld every 20 minutes) or Duisburg. Moreover, Krefeld main station is served by frequently running regional trains from Cologne (takes 40 minutes), Duisburg (15–25 minutes), Mönchengladbach (20 minutes) and Kleve (one hour).
- Burg Linn, Rheinbabenstraße 85. Water castle with exposition about medieval history; next to it is a Baroque hunting château with historically furnished bourgeois rooms and an archeological museum.
- Kaiser Wilhelm Museum, Karlsplatz 35.
- Zoo Krefeld, Uerdinger Str. 377. Adults: € 9,50, Children aged up to 16, school children, students, disabled persons: € 5,00, family ticket (2 adults plus up to 4 children aged 3 to 16): € 25,00, Dogs: € 2,50.
Krefeld has hosted an honours program in foreign language (German) studies. The program annually places thirty specially selected high school students with families in and around Krefeld for intensive German language training.
There are a large number of hotels in and around the town to choose from.
- 1 Mercure Parkhotel Krefelder Hof, Uerdinger Str. 245, ☏ .
- 2 Villa Medici, Schönwasserstraße 73, ☏ .
- 3 TRYP Dusseldorf Krefeld Hotel, Europark Fichtenhain A1.