Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rheine is in Münsterland.
Rheine is a town of some 75,000 inhabitants in the northwestern corner of the Münsterland region, right on the border with Lower Saxony and just 30 km east of the border with the Netherlands.
Intercity trains from Berlin, Amsterdam, Düsseldorf and Cologne call every two hours. Moreover there are hourly regional trains from Münster, Osnabrück, Emden and the Ruhr.
Rheine has an intersection on Autobahn A 30 that links Amsterdam with Hannover. Arriving from Cologne or the Ruhr area, you may take the Autobahn A 1 until the exit at Greven or A 31.
- 1 Rheine railway station.
- 1 Kloster Bentlage, Bentlager Weg 130. Tu-Sa 14:00-18:00, Su and public holidays 10:00-18:00, closed on Mondays. Former monastery established in 1437, later transformed into a castle. Now houses an art exhibition as well as overnight accommodation. admission €5, reduced rate €3.
- 2 [dead link] Villa Reni (also known as "Falkenhof Museum"), Tiefe Straße 22. Tu-Sa 14:00-18:00, Su 10:00-18:00. Former Carolingian royal manor, dating back to the 9th century, established during Charlemagne's war against the Saxons, and therefore considered the oldest part of Rheine. It was continually transformed and redisigned and now has a mostly baroque style. It houses an art and history museum. admission €5, reduced rate €3.
- 3 Saline Gottesgabe, Salinenstraße 101. Saltworks have been documented in Rheine for about a thousand years.
- 4 Naturzoo Rheine. Long-standing zoo whose main attraction is a "monkey forest", inhabited by barbary macaques, which may be entered by visitors who are not separated from the animals by panes or fences. The zoo's focus is on teaching environmental backgrounds and coherences rather than just exhibiting animals.
- 5 St Dionysius church. Late-gothic hall church from the 15th century.
- 6 St Antonius basilica. Imposing 19th-century Romanesque revival basilica, its 102.5-metre-high steeple is the highest in the Münsterland region.
- 7 Megalithic tomb (Großsteingrab). Prehistorical gravesite from the 4th millenium BC, covered by a mound.
- 1 City Club Hotel Rheine, Humboldtplatz 8 48429 Rheine, ☏ +49 5971 80800, fax: +49 5971 8080 155, email@example.com.
- 2 Hotel Lücke, Heiliggeistplatz 1a, 48431 Rheine, ☏ +49 59 71 16 18 0, fax: +49 59 71 - 16 18 16, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Hotel Gottesgabe, Salinenstraße 101 48432 Rheine, ☏ +49 5971 13205, fax: +49 5971 12703, email@example.com.
- Bad Bentheim, 22 km to the west
- Münster, 43 km to the south
- Osnabrück, 46 km to the east
- Enschede, Netherlands, 45 km to the west