The city is at the confluence of two rivers, the Segre and Gran Valira, in a plain 7 km long and 691 m high surrounded by high mountains, such as the Cadí mountain range. The plain is called plana de la Seu and was formed by the Segre river.
Because it is at one of the major crossroads of communication in the Catalan Pyrenees, la Seu d'Urgell has had a unique and historic role in the county of Urgell. The roads to Andorra, Cerdanya and the low Segre all converge on la Seu d'Urgell.
Parallel to the Valira river rises a mountain range, where stand the remains of two great fortresses, the Ciutadella and Ciutat Castle (in Castellciutat), both of historic importance in the town. Small banks or open plains around the Segre are separated by gorges.
In the north, La Seu d'Urgell has borders with the municipality of les Valls de Valira, to the west with Montferrer i Castellbò where there is La Seu d'Urgell Airport (also known as Andorra-Pirineus airport), to the south-west with Ribera d'Urgellet, to the south-east with Alàs i Cerc, and to the north-east with Estamariu.
- 1 La Seu d'Urgell Cathedral.
- 2 The Parc Olímpic del Segre,. It was built in 1992 for the Barcelona Summer Olympic Games. It is a pump-driven canoe and kayak sports venue adjacent to the historical centre of la Seu d'Urgell.
- Old Town, or historic centre, where there are Canonges street and the Main Street, both of high architectural value, in addition to the courtyard of the Palau and square Oms where there are the City Hall. The Passeig de Joan Brudieu, the centre of la Seu d'Urgell, is one of the most important streets and divides the old town and the new one.
- A traditional market takes place every Tuesday and Saturday in the Main Street.
- Fira de Sant Ermengol, documented as the oldest of Spain, held on the third weekend of October.
- Fira de Formatges Artesans del Pirineu (cheese fair of Pyrenean artisans).
- Spring Fair held in April and includes an exhibition of the best examples of Vaca bruna dels Pirineus, a cow from Pyrenees.
- Fira d'Art, an art exhibition, held since 2007.
- Mercat Medieval dels Canonges: a festival of street music, theater, circus, falconery and old offices.
- Mercat de les Opportunitats is held twice a year.
- International Music Festival Joan Brudieu began in 1969 and is held in July and August.