The Land of the Red Rocks (French: Region Terres Rouges), also known as the Esch-sur-Alzette canton, is the furthest southwest region of Luxembourg.
The Land of the Red Rocks, also known as the Esch-sur-Alzette Canton, is a former mining region in southern Luxembourg that is filled to its brim with industrial heritage.
The name Land of the Red Rocks comes from the reddish iron ore that was found and extracted from the ground in high amounts. The growth the region experienced during the 1900s can still be seen in numbers: Six of the ten biggest cities and towns of Luxembourg are located in the Land of the Red Rocks.
The A13 services the entire canton, starting at Pétange, combining with the A4 near Esch-sur-Alzette to continue eastward as the A13 again in the direction of Mondorf-les-Bains. After passing the German border, the Autobahn 8 connects to Saarlouis, Neunkirchen and Homburg.
From Luxembourg City
The Land of Red Rocks can be accessed via three main highways when travelling from Luxembourg City, namely the A3, which links up to the A13 near Dudelange, the A4, which connects to Esch and the E44, which connects to Pétange.
Coming from Belgium, use the E25 (when travelling from Liège or the E411 (when traveling from Namur) to head for Luxembourg, but before the border, at exit 32, turn right onto the N81. When the road turns into the A28, take the first exit (Pétange), and take a left onto the N88. Ater the border crossing, you will find yourself on a roundabout in the west of Pétange. Turning left here will get you onto the E44/A13, which connects to the rest of the canton. Alternatively, the A6 can be used to get to Luxembourg City, followed with the E44, A4 or A3 as described above. This does however result in a longer route.
When travelling from France, first get to Metz or Thionville, from which you take the A31 heading north. Not long after crossing the border you will find yourself at the Croix de Bettembourg, from which you can turn left onto the A13 heading for Esch-sur-Alzette to connect to the entire canton.
Most of the region is covered in railway tracks, most of which service(d) the mines. The bigger cities such as 1 Dudelange, 2 Esch-sur-Alzette, 3 Differdange and 4 Pétange can easily be accessed by rail. Trains from Luxembourg to Nancy (and vice versa) both stop in 5 Bettembourg, from where the entire canton can be reached.
While all of the cities can easily be explored on foot, getting from one city of town to another usually takes a long time and a lot of effort. If you still want to see the best parts of the region while hopping between places, then use a mountainbike. The region is filled with cycling routes and dedicated cycling lanes and roads (pistes cyclable), most of the touristic routes will go off-road.
The best way to get around quickly is by either car or train. You will be able to easily drive from one city over to another via the highway network, which is one of the densest in Luxembourg. Trains service only the most important cities and some of the towns in between them. They connect directly to Luxembourg City and Namur (Belgium). Alternatively, most of the heritage railways listed here connect several towns and cities. Using them as a daily way of travel may get expensive, though visiting just one town for a day using the heritage rail network may very well be a welcome addition to your visit.
- 1 Centre d'Art Nei Liicht / Dominique Lang, 25 Rue Dominique Lang, L-3505 Dudelange, ☎ . Two joint museums in the town of Dudelange focused on showing and facilitating access to modern art for the people of Dudelange, and provide a platform for up and coming local artists. Free.
- 2 National Resistance Museum, Place de la Résistance, L-4041 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . Tuesday-Sunday: 14:00-18:00. The National Resistance Museum traces the history of Luxembourg from 1940 to 1945. There is also an exhibition of the Nazi concentration camps and the treatment of Luxembourg Jews. Free entrance.
- 3 Parc Merveilleux (Parc Bettembourg), Route de Mondorf, L-3260 Bettembourg (Use the A13 heading for exit 8. Head towards Bettembourg and turn right onto National Road 13. The park will be to your left as soon as you've passed underneath the A3.), ☎ . Easter until early October. The Parc Merveilleux is an amusement park just east of Bettembourg in the south of Luxembourg. Designed above all for children, the park has a wide range of attractions including exotic birds, animals in their natural habitats, a pony ranch, a miniature railway, children's self-drive cars, adventure playgrounds, scenes from fairy tales, a restaurant and a cafeteria.
The Land of the Red Rocks is not only covered in rocks, rich in iron, but is also covered in railway tracks built to transport the mined iron to smelting works. Some of these have been converted into heritage railways, namely:
- 1 Train 1900 (Fond de Gras), Fond-de-Gras, L-4676 Niederkorn, ☎ . Pétange to FdG: 14:15, 16:15, 18:15. FdG--Pétange: 13:30, 15:30, 17:30. Available from May to the last Sunday of September.. A touristic steam train between Fond-de-Gras and Pétange
- 2 Train 1900 (Pétange), Route de Niederkorn, L-4762 Pétange.
- 3 Minièresbunn, Rue Principale, L-4640 Lasauvage. From Fond-de-Gras: 14:45, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00. Available from May to the last Sunday of September.. Narrow gauge track connecting Fond-de-Gras with Lasauvage. The track goes through the abandoned mine galleries.
- 4 Musée National des Mines de Fer Luxembourgeoises (National Museum of the Luxembourgian Iron Mines), 26 Rue de la Bruyere, L-3714 Rumelange, ☎ . Small museum on local mining activities and a guided tour through the mines. Entry to which is serviced by a narrow-gauge railway. The tour guides speak mostly Luxembourgish and French, translations are available in the form of audio guide, which is available in Dutch, English, French, German.
- Circular hikes and tours.
The region also houses a major nature reserve, large zoo and large swimming pool, all of which can be found around Esch.
- 5 Ellergronn nature reserve, Rue Jean-Pierre Bausch, L-4114 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . Expositions and guided viewings
- 6 Escher Déirepark-Gaalgebierg, Rue du Stade, Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . Large terrain with sport-infrastructure, playgrounds, animal park, rosary and waterfall.
- 7 Bains du Parc indoor pool and sauna, 1 Place des Sacrifiés 1940-1945, L-4115 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ .
The region offers just one mall, which are rare in Luxembourg. Aside from Belvalplaza, another mall can be found in Mersch, about 30-40 minutes from Esch-sur-Alzette when travelling by car.
While malls are limited in the area, supermarkets are found in much higher quantities. The major chains have shops throughout the region, though mostly located in and around the major cities.
- Aldi - German discount supermarket
- 2 Aldi (Bascharage), Avenue du Luxembourg, L-4950 Bascharage, ☎ . 8:30-19:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- 3 Aldi (Dudelange), Route du Luxembourg, 3515 Dudelange. 8:30-19:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- 4 Aldi (Esch-sur-Alzette), 59 Rue d'Audun, L-4018 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 8:30-19:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- 5 Aldi (Foetz), Rue du Brill - Zone Commerciale, L-3898 Foetz. 8:30-19:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- Carrefour - French hypermarket
- Cactus - Luxembourgian supermarket
- 8 Cactus (Bascharage), 6 Avenue de Luxembourg, L-4950 Käerjeng, ☎ . 08:00-20:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- 9 Cactus (Esch-sur-Alzette/Lallange), 136 Rue de Luxembourg, L-4222 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 08:00-20:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- 10 Cactus (Kayl), Rue Principale, L-3612 Kayl, ☎ . 08:00-20:00.
- 11 Cactus (Pétange), 1 Rue Pierre Grégoire, L-4702 Pétange, ☎ . 08:00-20:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- Delhaize - Belgian supermarket
- 12 Delhaize (Differdange), 19 Rue du chemin de Fer, L-4556 Differdange, ☎ . 07:30-19:00 (closed on Sundays).
- 13 Delhaize (Dudelange), 12 An Hinnefen, L-3491 Dudelangen, ☎ . 07:30-20:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- 14 Delhaize (Esch-sur-Alzette (Located at Belval Plaza)), 14 Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 07:30-20:00 (-13:00 on Sundays).
- Match - Hungarian supermarket (part of Delhaize)
- Stella Rosa, 273 Rue Metzerlach, L-4441 Soleuvre, ☎ . W-Su 12:00-14:00, 18:00-22:00,.
- Moustache, 52 Grand-Rue, L-4132 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . Tu-F 12:00-0:00, Sa 18:30-0:00, Su 12:00-0:00.
- Brasserie K116, 116 r. de Luxembourg, L-4221 Esch an der Alzette,, ☎ .
- [dead link] Restaurant le Pavillon, Rue du Stade, L-4142 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 12:00-14:00, 18:00-22:30.
- Restaurant Postkutsch, 8 Rue Xavier Brasseur, L-4040 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . Tu-F 12:00-23:00, Sa 18:00-23:00, Su 12:00-15:00.
- Dimmi Si, 12 Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 11:45-14:30, 17:45-23:00.
- Happy House, 68 Rue Emile Mark, L-4620 Differdange, ☎ .
- Villa Hadir, 51 Rue Emile Mark, L-4620 Differdange, ☎ .
- [dead link] Lagano, 67 Grand-Rue, L-4575 Differdange, ☎ .
- Asia Garden, 13 Rue Jean-Baptiste Gillardin, L-4735 Pétange, ☎ .
- Restaurant Annapurna, 13 Rue de la Reconnaissance Nationale, L-4936 Pétange, ☎ .
- Restaurant Kathmandu, 29 Rue Jean Jaurès, L-3490 Dudelange, ☎ .
- Antica Bari - Ristorante Pizzeria, 28 Rue de la Fontaine, L-3470 Dudelange, ☎ .
- 1 Les 3 amis, 4734, 33 Avenue de la Gare, L-4734 Pétange, ☎ .
- Café Belami, 135 av. d'Oberkorn, L-4640 Differdange, ☎ . M-F 09:00-00:00; Sa-Su 09:00-02:00.
- 1 Coyote Café, 10-12 Avenue du Swing, L-4367 Belvaux, ☎ .
- 2 Bar/Lounge/Café La Strada, 2 Rue de Belvaux, L-4025 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ .
- 3 Amadeus Bar, 23 Rue de l'Église, L-4106 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ .
- 4 Café Casablanca, 110 Rue de l'Alzette, L-4010 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ .
- 5 Café du Parc, 1 Rue du Parc, L-4771 Pétange, ☎ .
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Under €65 ($73)|
|Mid-range||€65 - €90 ($73 - $100)|
|Splurge||Over €90 ($100)|
Budget hotels in the region are mostly located where travellers wouldn't normally go. Some of them will be distanced from the highways, located some ways out from the cities. Changing your travel routes to end up in cheaper hotels that are just as decent as mid-range hotels might end up being rewarding.
- 1 Hôtel-Restaurant de la Frontière, 52 Robert Schuman Strooss, L-5751 Frisange (Located on the south side of exit 10 (Frisange) of the A13, meters before the border crossing into France. The hotel is best to use when travelling from or to the Grevenmacher district.), ☎ . €55.
- 2 Logis Hotel Cottage Dudelange, Rue Auguste Liesch., Dudelange, ☎ . €64.
- 3 Threeland Hotel, 50 Rue Pierre Hamer, Pétange, ☎ . 4-star hotel €85.
- 4 Hotel-Restaurant Gulliver, 58 Rue Nicolas Meyers, L- 4918 Käerjeng, ☎ . 3-star hotel €86.
- 5 Hotel Ibis Luxembourg Sud, Rue de Turi, L-3378 Livange (Located on the west side of exit 2 (Livange) on the A3.), ☎ . €89.
- 6 Hotel de la Poste, 107 Rue de l'Alzette, L-4011 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . €92.
- 7 Logis Hotel Acacia, 10 Rue de la Libération, L-4210 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 3-star hotel €99.
- 8 Hotel Ibis Esch Belval, Avenue du Rock n Roll, 12, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 3-star hotel €109.
- 9 The Seven Hotel, 50 Galgebierg (rue du stade), L-4142 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . 4-star hotel €115.
Whenever you need information on the region, visit tourist offices. They will be the best places to get your information from people that know what they are talking about.
- Esch-sur-Alzette Tourist Information, Place du l'Hôtel de Ville, L-4138 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . M-F 09:00-17:00 During summers: M-Sa 09:00-17:00.
- Differdange Tourist Office, 38 Avenue Charlotte, L-4530 Differdange, ☎ .
- Pétange Tourist Information, Place J-F Kennedy, L-4760 Pétange.
- Dudelange Tourist Office, Plade de l'Hôtel de Ville, L-3401 Dudelange, ☎ .
All post offices in the region can be found online. Post Luxembourg offers, aside from typical mail-related items, a wide range of telecom solutions. May you be in need of for instance a Luxembourgian SIM-card for cheaper data and phone calls in the country, your solution is as easy as browsing their site or visiting one of their many offices, located in most every town.
- Bureau des Postes Bettembourg, 8 Rue de l'Indépendance, L-3238 Bettembourg, ☎ . M-F 08:00-12:00, 13:30-17:15.
- Bureau des Postes Rumelange, 1 Place Grande-Duchesse Charlotte, L-3710 Rumelange, ☎ .
- Bureau des Postes Esch-Lallange, 5 Boulevard Pierre Dupong, 4086 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . M-F 13:30-17:00.
- Bureau de Poste Esch-sur-Alzette, Rue Zénon Bernard/Rue Xacier Brasseur, L-4030 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ . M-F 07:00 - 17:00, Sa 09:00 - 18:00.
- Bureau des Postes Pétange, 13 Avenue de la Gare, L-4734 Pétange, ☎ . M-F 08:00-12:00, 13:30 - 17:00.
Luxembourgian Police (Police Grand-Ducale) can be reached on phone number 113. Their offices are found in the bigger cities. In case of medical help, phone 112. Hospitals are found in Esch-sur-Alzette and Niederkorn. Almost all major cities and town have a drug store (Pharmacie) for the non-severe cases.
- Police Bettembourg, 33 Rue de l'Indépendance, L-3238 Bettembourg, ☎ .
- Police Esch Sud, 104 Boulevard J.-F. Kennedy, L-4171 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ .
- Police Esch Nord, 46 Rue du N, L-4260 Esch-sur-Alzette, ☎ .
- Police Dudelange, 30 Rue Jean Wolter, L-3544 Dudelange, ☎ .
- Police Pétange, Place du Marché, L-4756 Pétange, ☎ .
- Police Mondercange, 10 Rue de Reckange, L-3943 Mondercange, ☎ .
- Luxembourg City, the only UNESCO World Heritage listing in the country is Luxembourg's old quarters and fortifications. The city can easily be reached via the highway or rail network.
- Echternach, the oldest town of the country, being founded in the 7th century. The city is filled with historical heritage and is surrounded by the beautiful landscapes of the Mullerthal.
- Namur (Belgium), the capital of the Wallonia region, located along the river Meuse, which can be reached effortless by train.
- Metz, Nancy and Strasbourg are all French cities worth visiting and they too are reached easily by train via the capital.
- Vianden, a delightful historical town and one of Luxembourg's biggest tourist attractions, featuring a wonderfully restored medieval castle.
|Routes through Land of the Red Rocks|
|Luxembourg ← Bettembourg ←||N S||→ Metz → Nancy|
|Luxembourg ←||NE SW||→ Esch-sur-Alzette|
|Pétange ← Esch-sur-Alzette ←||W E||→ Mondorf-les-Bains → Saarbrücken|
|Le Havre ← Amiens ←||W E||→ Trier → Koblenz → Giessen|
|Luxembourg ← Bettembourg ←||N S||→ Metz → Nancy|
|Arlon ← Pétange ← Differdange ←||W E||→ Esch-sur-Alzette → Luxembourg|