Lautoka is in northwestern part of Fiji.
Fiji's second largest city by population, Lautoka is in the middle of the country's sugarcane belt and is known as the Sugar City. As such, it has been not as reliant on tourism to support the local economy compared to many other areas.
Hop on an express bus, taxi or rental car from Nadi town or Nadi Airport. Whichever mode of transport you use, it should take around 30 minutes from the airport and 45 minutes from Nadi town. Buses arrive at the 1 Lautoka Bus Station.
Lautoka has a robust public bus transport network operated by private companies and the service is run on scheduled timetables from the central bus station.
There is also taxi and carrier service available which is useful for those in a hurry. Although costs are based on stages travelled and set by the government fares should be agreed to before travel to avoid later disputes.
The Hare Krishna temple is a friendly place. If you happen to be there on a Sunday, then pop in and they may invite you to stay for lunch.
- 1 Botanical Gardens, ☏ . The gardens have a large variety of tropical plants most of them labelled with the botanic and common names. If you visit around midday on a working day you may see the horticulturist Shri on site who has a wealth of information on the plants. The park opposite the gardens is a favourite playground for children and has toilet facilities.
- 1 Lautoka Market, Naviti St (Right beside the bus station). Get fresh fruits, vegetables, spices and kava from this large, covered market. Outside the market, there are multiple stalls selling cooked food, peanuts and snacks.
- 1 Blue Ginger Café & Deli, Elizabeth Square, Narara Parade (opposite the ANZ bank), ☏ . A favourite for breakfast and coffee amongst the locals and visitors.
- Anchorage Beach Resort, Vuda Point, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: Noon, check-out: 11AM. From $175.
- 1 First Landing Beach Resort & Villas, Nalamu Beach, Vuda Point, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. The resort is so named because according to Fijian legend, it was here where the first Fijian people landed 3500 years ago. The views of the white sand beach, tropical trees and ocean are spectacular. From $325.
- Tanoa Waterfront Hotel, 10 Naoki St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A business hotel that is a 25-minute drive from Nadi Airport. Across from the ocean, with a pool and spa. From US$60.
- Lautoka Hotel, 2-12 Naviti Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 10AM. $35, $60 & $80.
- Cathay Hotel, Tavewa Avenue (opposite the Northern Club), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Air-conditioned and fan-cooled rooms, swimming pool, car parking, and garden view. $100.
- 2 Saweni Beach Apartment Hotel, Saweni Beach near Lautoka, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Self-contained beach apartments either with air conditioning or fans. About 10 minutes drive from the heart of Lautoka, they have a barbecue area and swimming pool. Dormitory accommodation also available. From $120.
- The fast catamaran "Nanuya Belle" connects to Navutu Stars resort on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, departing from Lautoka at 9AM and arriving at the resort at 11:20AM. On the return, "Nanuya Belle" departs the resort at 12:30PM and arrives back at Lautoka at 3:15PM.
- Continue your journey up the north coast of the island and head to the towns of Ba, Tavua and Rakiraki.
- Or, go south to tourist launchpad Nadi and Denarau Island.