Lenox is a town in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, about 3 hours from New York City and 2.5 hours from Boston. Lenox is an arts-lover's dream, home to Tanglewood. There are also several stately mansions and prestigious boarding schools in the area.
- From the west (3 hours from New York City): Take the Taconic State Parkway. Exit at "Hillsdale, Claverack, Route 23" and follow Route 23 East to Great Barrington. North on Route 7 through Stockbridge. Left onto Route 7A into Lenox.
- From the east (2 1/2 hours from Boston): Take the Massachusetts Turnpike to Exit 2, marked Lee. Follow Route 20 West about 4 miles beyond Lee then left on to Route 183 into Lenox.
- From the south (75 minutes from Hartford): North on I-91 to the Massachusetts Turnpike West to exit 2; then as above.
The small downtown area is easily walkable, and Tanglewood is just a mile from the central crossroads. To go farther, you will probably need at least a bicycle if not a motor vehicle.
- Ventfort Hall Museum of the Gilded Age, 104 Walker Street, ☎ . Sa,Su 10AM-3PM. Gilded Age mansion. $9/$4.
- Mount Estate and Gardens of Edith Wharton, 2 Plunkett Street, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily May–Oct 9AM-5PM. Elegant 1902 mansion and magnificent formal gardens designed by Edith Wharton, Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and authority on architecture, interior design and gardens.
- Lenox Athenaeum, ☎ . Seminars on classical music, theater, dance, literature, and other subjects. Music recitals, private and charitable functions, as well as lectures that promote an appreciation of the history, literature, and the natural beauty of the Berkshires.
- Shakespeare & Company, 70 Kemble Street, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mid June-late Oct. Morning, noon and night. Walking trails, picnic areas, free outdoor family performances. Experience eight plays on three indoor and outdoor stages.
- Tanglewood, 297 West Street, ☎ . Summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Tanglewood Music Center, and the Boston University Tanglewood Institute.
- Undermountain Farm Riding Stable, 400 Undermountain Rd, ☎ . Pony rides ($20) and guided trail rides ($55). Schooling shows.
- Berkshire Horseback Adventures, 293 Main Street, ☎ .
- Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, 472 West Mountain Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily July-mid Oct; Off season: Tu-Su and Monday holidays. Over 7 mi (11.25 km) of trails on 1500 acres.
- Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, West St, toll-free: . and Richmond Mountain Rd. Offers yoga, meditation, massage and other healing arts.
- [dead link] Kennedy Park, 275 Main Street (Just past the Church on the Hill at the top of Main Street). A compact multi-use park on the site of a former Gilded Age resort home now reverted to forest. Free.
- Blantyre, Blantyre Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mobil Five-Star Award and the Wine Spectator’s 2003 Best of Award of Excellence.
- Church Street Cafe, 65 Church St, ☎ , e-mail: ChurStCafe@aol.com. Lunch, dinner. Regional & ethnic dishes. Vegetarian items available. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.
- Dish Cafe Bistro, 37 Church St, ☎ , fax: . Breakfast, lunch & carry out daily.
- Firefly, 71 Church St, ☎ . Lunch, dinner. Wine Spectator “Award of Excellence”.
- [dead link] Lenox 218 Restaurant, 218 Main St, ☎ . Daily for lunch and dinner. Northern Itaian/American.
- Prime Italian Steakhouse & Bar, 15 Franklin St, ☎ , e-mail: Catgallo@msn.com. Great wine list, late night entertainment on weekends.
- [dead link] Seven Hills Inn and Restaurant, 40 Plunkett St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Gourmet dining on fine china.
- [dead link] Spigalina Restaurant, 80 Main St, ☎ .
- Village Inn, 16 Church St, ☎ . Full breakfast, Afternoon English tea, Candelight dinners.
- Wheatleigh, ☎ . Hawthorne Rd. Year-round. Lunch and dinner daily. Prix-fixe.
- Olde Heritage Tavern, 12 Housatonic St, ☎ . Neighborhood bar, very casual. Pool, darts, jukebox, and pub food.
- Days Inn Lenox, 194 Pittsfield Rd, RT 7 & 20, Lenox, MA 01240 US, ☎ . Check-in: 3 pm, check-out: 11 am. Free wireless Internet Access, Free Day Break Breakfast, Outside pool, Free Parking, TV with cable HBO, Free Newspaper, Near to Tanglewood Music Festival.
- [dead link] Knights Inn Lenox, 474 Pittsfield Rd, ☎ . Check-in: 3 pm, check-out: 11 am. Free wireless Internet access, free breakfast, free parking, TV with cable, pet-friendly.
- [dead link] Howard Johnson Express Inn, 462 Pittsfield Road, Routes 7 and 20, ☎ . Check-in: 3 pm, check-out: 11 am. Jacuzzi rooms, free wireless Internet access, free breakfast, outside pool, handicap rooms, free parking, TV with cable.
- Apple Tree Inn, 10 Richmond Mountain Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Walk to Tanglewood. Pool & tennis.
- Berkshire Inns - Yankee Inn, 461 Pittsfield Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Rtes 7 & 20). 6 room categories, outdoor pool, AAA 3-Diamond.
- 1 Birchwood Inn, 7 Hubbard St, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. Elegant country bed and breakfast featuring comfortable rooms with private baths, luxury linens, and free Wi-Fi. Breakfast included. Pet friendly rooms available. $199-$369.
- Blantyre, Blantyre Rd, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tennis courts, heated pool. Recipient of the Mobil Five-Star Award.
- Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires, 165 Kemble St, ☎ . Dedicated to healthy living and fitness. Classes, hiking & biking, spa & body treatments, nutritious gourmet dining, private consultations and workshops.
- Chesapeake Inn of Lenox, 210 West St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 1/4 mile to Tanglewood. 75' Heated lap pool.
- Cranwell Resort, Spa and Golf Club, 55 Lee Rd, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. AAA Four Diamond Resort. 107 rooms, indoor/outdoor pools, 18-hole championship golf course, tennis, x-c skiing, 3 restaurants on property.
- Garden Gables Inn, 135 Main St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 18-room Colonial Inn. In center of Lenox Village. Largest outdoor pool in Berkshire County.
- Gateways Inn and Restaurant, 51 Walker St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 12 rooms. Pricey and worth it.
- Hampton Terrace, 91 Walker St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 14 Rooms. One mile to Tanglewood.
- Howard Johnson Express Inn, ☎ . Routes 7 & 20. Newly constructed.
- Ponds at Foxhollow, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Route 7. One and two bedroom condominiums.
- Rookwood Inn, 11 Old Stockbridge Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. At town center. One of New York Magazine’s 30 best B&Bs.
- [dead link] Seven Hills Inn and Restaurant, 40 Plunkett St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 1911 mansion with fine dining.
- Stonover Farm, 169 Under Mountain Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 3 suites and separate cottage. Walk to Tanglewood.
- Village Inn, 16 Church St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Year round. 32 rooms. Historic 1771 Inn
- Whistler's Inn, 5 Greenwood St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- The Lenox Inn (firstname.lastname@example.org), 525 Pittsfield Rd, ☎ .
Jacob's Pillow dance festival is in Becket, about a half hour's drive from Lenox, depending on traffic.
|Routes through Lenox|
|Rutland ← Pittsfield ←||N S||→ Stockbridge → Danbury|
|Albany ← Pittsfield ←||W E||→ Lee → Springfield|