Leongatha is in Gippsland, 135 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. The town is the civic, commercial, industrial, religious, educational and sporting centre of the region, and has a population of over 5,100 (2016).
Leongatha is located at the intersections of the South Gippsland, Bass and Strzelecki highways. The fastest route from Melbourne uses the A440 route/South Gippsland Highway, with the South Gippsland Highway forking off from the M1 just outside Dandenong, and the A420 section turning off outside Lang Lang.
- 1 Stadium 4 Cinema, 14-18 Smith Street, ☏ , email@example.com. Movie cinema.
- 2 Leongatha Gallery, Corner of McCartin Street and Michael Place, ☏ . W-Su 10AM-4PM. Not-for-profit arts and crafts gallery. Free.
- 3 Lennie Gwyther Statue. This bronze statue commemorates 9-year old Leongatha resident Lennie Gwyther, who rode on horseback for 1000 kilometres to witness the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932. Free.
- 1 The Corals Fish & Chips, 53 Bair Street, ☏ . M 5-8PM, Tu-Sa 11AM-8PM, Su noon-8PM. Fish and chips takeaway store.
- 2 The Rusty Windmill, 45 McCartin Street. M-Sa 8AM-2PM. Food and coffee.
- 3 Gatha Pizza, 24 McCartin Street. W-M 5-9PM. Pizza restaurant. $11-20.
- 4 Serafinos Blue Lounge Pizzeria, 7-9 Bair Street, ☏ . W-Su 5PM-late. Meditteranean style restaurant.
- 1 McCartin's, 2 Bair Street, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub and bistro. Also offers accommodation from $60-100 a night.
- 2 Bairs Otago Hotel, 18 Bair Street, ☏ . Pub and bistro in an art deco setting that dates back to 1939. TAB/Keno (gambling) facilities are also available. Rooms are also offered from $40-55 a night, however there are no ensuites in any of them.
Accommodation is also available at the two pubs in town.
- 1 Opal Motel, 155 South Gippsland Highway, ☏ , email@example.com. Motel in a park-like setting on the outskirts of Leongatha, with a lawn barbeque area. $100-120.
- 2 Leongatha Motel, 18 Turner Street, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Pet friendly motel with 28 rooms. $120-180 per night.
- 3 Leongatha Apex Caravan Park, 14 Turner Streeet, ☏ , email@example.com. Caravan park with 39 sites and 8 self-contained cabins. The park has a games room, coin-operated laundry, an amenity block, and a barbeque.
Telstra has 4G service in Leongatha, while Optus has 3G/4G coverage. Vodafone does not have mobile coverage in Leongatha.
- Wonthaggi is a former coal mining town in the Bass Coast region.
- Fish Creek is a small town with interesting art galleries.
- Wilsons Promontory is the southernmost point of the island of Australia, and is a great hiking destination.
|Routes through Leongatha|
|Kilcunda ← Wonthaggi ←||W E||→ Morwell|
|Lang Lang ← Korumburra ←||W E||→ Foster → Sale|