Limburg an der Lahn is in Hesse. The town is famous for its marvelous medieval town center with its timber-framed houses and its Dom.
Limburg is connected to the German highspeed train network and can be reached from Frankfurt (approx. 30 minutes) and from Cologne (approx. 1h). Keep in mind that not all ICEs from Frankfurt to Cologne or in the other direction stop in Limburg.
- 1 Bahnhof Limburg Süd. Be aware: fast trains stop at the station Limburg Süd, which is located approx. 2km away from the town center. Apart from the long distance station at Frankfurt airport, this is the only train station in Germany where only ICEs stop.
- 2 Bahnhof Limburg (Lahn).
- Wiesbaden Limburg - Bad Camberg - Niedernhausen -
- / Limburg - Bad Camberg - Hofheim (Taunus) - Frankfurt(Main)Höchst - Frankfurt(Main)Hauptbahnhof
- Bad Ems - Koblenz - Andernach - Mayen Ost Limburg - Diez -
- Koblenz - Bad Ems - Diez - Limburg - Weilburg - Wetzlar - Gießen
- Montabaur - Siershahn Limburg - Diez Ost -
- Limburg - Weilburg - Wetzlar - Gießen - Alsfeld - Fulda
- Siegen Limburg - Diez Ost - Westerburg - Hachenburg - Altenkirchen - Au(Sieg) - Betzdorf(Sieg) -
The nearest airport is Frankfurt Airport. From there, there are regular direct ICE trains roughly every two hours. You will arrive at "Limburg Süd", roughly two kilometers from the city center from where you can take a bus, a taxi or use one of the parking lots for bikes and cars.
Limburg also has a charming little old town.
- 1 Cathedral (Limburger Dom). Guided tours take place from Tuesday till Friday at 11am and at 3pm, Saturdays at 3pm and on Sunday at 11.45am. The Limburger Dom, also known as Georgsdom, is situated above the medieval town center just beside Limburg castle. Due to its exposed position the Dom is a widely visible landmark. Its basilica is a architectural masterpiece of the late romantic era, consisting of a three-aisled basilica with late romantic and early Gothic elements. The Dom has 7 towers. Constructions for a first church at that place began in 910 AD, although construction works for the Dom only started between 1175 AD and 1200 AD. The Dom's consecration was held in 1235 AD by the Arch Bishop of Trier, Theoderich von Wied. 3€.
- 2 Limburg Castle (Burg Limburg).
There are many quaint, rustic restaurants in Old Town, but also Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Indian, Thailandish and Greek Restaurants.
- 1 Rebell, Diezer Str. 118 (Directly by the old millwheel, just downriver of the Dom), ☏ . well-known snack bar (Imbis).
- 2 Gasthaus Burgkeller, Fischmarkt 10, ☏ .
Not a lot should be expected of the nightlife:
- 1 [formerly dead link] Club Musikpark, Elzer Str. 2 - 4, Staffel, ☏ .
- 2 Billard-Bistro, Staffel Elzerstraße, ☏ .
- 3 Unten Drunter (UD), Sackgasse 18, ☏ .
- 3 Domhotel, Grabenstraße 57, ☏ . 100+ €.
- 4 Hotel Nassauer Hof, Brückengasse 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Located directly at the Lahn river Double 120€.
- 5 Hotel Zimmermann, Blumenröder Str. 1, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel Martin, Holzheimer Str. 2, ☏ .
- 7 Gasthaus Priester, Westerwaldstraße 10, ☏ .
|Routes through Limburg an der Lahn|
|Köln via airport ← Montabaur ←||Köln Mainz||→ Wiesbaden → Mainz|
|Köln via Siegburg/Bonn ← Montabaur ←||Köln Frankfurt||→ Frankfurt → Frankfurt Airport|