The village takes its name from the Church of Saint Maethlu. The community includes Llanfwrog.
There is a hill fort with a single bank and ditch in the vicinity of Llanfaethlu, and a small hoard of Roman coins was found on a hill to the west of the church, some having been minted when Domitian was emperor, around 90 AD.
The village is built around the Church of Saint Maethlu. This church is dedicated to Maethlu the Confessor who is thought to have founded an early Christian religious establishment about three quarters of a mile to the south of the present building. Two other early Christian burial sites have been found close by, at Hen Siop and at the lodge of Carreglwyd.
Bus available from Holyhead and Amlwch.
- 1 Llynon Windmill, Llynnon Mill, Llanddeusant, ☏ . The only surviving working windmill on Anglesey.
- 2 St Maethlu's Church. A small medieval church.
- Carreglwyd, a Georgian house and country estate, is to the northwest of the village. The house became a Grade II* listed building in 1952 on the basis that it is "a fine small-scale country house of simple Georgian character". It has "an especially fine hall, the core of the C17 house being retained through subsequent remodelling."
- 1 Black Lion Inn, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A pub with bed and breakfast accommodation and a menu comprising locally sourced produce.
Llanfaethlu is home to Condessa, a small liquor company that manufactures specialist liqueurs which include Welsh cream liqueur, praline cream liqueur, black cherry liqueur and sloe gin.