Lochem is a historical city located by the Berkel river and the Twentekanaal. It is known for its historical city centre and the Lochemerberg, one of the highest points in the area (49.5 metres). Lochem has been a city since 1233. Ever since 900 there should have been a church with hamlet, as archaeological revealed, which would make Lochem one of the oldest kerspelen(settlement by a church) of the Achterhoek. The fortifications of Lochem have consisted of two moats and a city wall, of which the outer moat has been removed. The city today offers houses dating back to the 1630s, with other houses dating back to the seventeenth century.
Lochem is connected to the railway between Zutphen, Enschede and Gronau. The station is found outside of the city centre itself, north of the Twentekanaal, which may cause confusion to tourists arriving by train.
1 Lochem Station can be reached by car by using the A1, and using exit 26 (Lochem), followed by a turn onto the N332 in the direction of Lochem, to which directions will be marked from here on out.
- 1 Huis Verwolde, Jonker Emilelaan 4, NL-7245 TL Laren, ☏ , email@example.com. Easter through October, 12:00 - 17:00. Huis Verwolde is a castle with 47 hectares of land around it. The castle can be visited, the former kitchen is a tearoom and the surrounding land can be explored on foot.
- 2 Saint Gudulakerk, Markt 4, NL-7241 AA Lochem.
- 1 Hiking. Though there aren't many mountains to climb near Lochem, the Pieterpad does cross through the municipality, and it has a checkpoint in nearby Laren. The Pieterpad is a long trail, starting in Pieterburen (Frisia), and ending at the Sint-Pietersberg (Limburg).
- 2 Karting Eefde, Elzerdijk 44, Eefde, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tue-Sun: 9AM - 9PM.
- 1 Restaurant de Basiliek, Bierstraat 6, NL-7241 AH Lochem, ☏ .
- 2 De Eetgalerie, Doctor Rivestraat 8, NL-7241 AS Lochem, ☏ .
- 3 't Runderke, Noorderwal 40, NL-7241 BL Lochem, ☏ .
- 4 Restaurant Modani, Graaf Ottoweg 6, NL-7241 DG Lochem, ☏ .
- 1 Hampsire - Hotel 't Hof van Gelre, Nieuweweg 38, NL-7241 EW Lochem, ☏ .
- 2 Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant De Scheperskamp, Paasberg 3, NL-7241 JR Lochem, ☏ . €85.
- 3 Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Paasberg, Paasberg 2, NL-7241 JR Lochem, ☏ . €85.
- 4 Hotel BonAparte Lochem, Lochemseweg 37, NL-7244 RR Barchem, ☏ . €88.
- 5 Hotel de Lochemse Berg, Lochemseweg 42, NL-7244 RS Barchem, ☏ . €83.
- 6 Hotel/B&B De Vijverhof, Marinus Naefflaan 11, NL-7241 GC Lochem, ☏ .
- 7 EuroParcs Resort De Achterhoek, Ploegdijk 2, NL-7241 SC Lochem, toll-free: . €67.
From Lochem, many larger cities are close by. Within the Achterhoek, these are Zutphen, a former Hanzestad and Doetinchem, the de facto capital of the Achterhoek. Another nearby location is the municipality of Oost Gelre with the towns of Groenlo, known most for the Zwarte Cross event, which is the largest motocross event of Europe, and Lichtenvoorde, which has the largest flower parade of Europe. Alternatively, the Twentse cities of Deventer, Enschede and Hengelo are nearby as well.
|Routes through Lochem|
|Pieterburen ← Groningen ←||N S||→ Doetinchem → Maastricht|
|Zutphen ← Warnsveld ←||W E||→ Goor → Hengelo|
|Deventer ← Epse ←||W E||→ END|
|Zutphen ← Eefde ←||W E||→ Hengelo → Enschede|