Lorient is a city of 57,000 people (2017) on the south coast of Brittany.
Lorient is commonly referred to as la ville aux cinq ports ("the city of five ports"): military, fishing, commercial, passengers and yachting.
- 1 Gare de Lorient. 4 hr by train west from Paris. 5 to 6 trains daily connect Paris to Lorient on the way to Quimper. Rennes, the main city in Brittany, is 1 hr 30 min from Lorient by train or by car.
- The bus station is next to the railway station.
- 2 Lorient South Brittany Airport (LRT IATA). Connections from Paris-Orly and Porto
Buses go all around Lorient and to nearby cities such as Ploemeur, Guidel, Lanester, and Hennebont.
- One way ticket – €1.45 (valid one hour)
- Daily ticket – €4
- 10 tickets – €12.5
- Marina (Port de plaisance) – Near office de tourisme
- Cité de la voile and Base Sous Marine – Submarine base built by the Germans during the Second World War.
- Beaches – 5-15 km from Lorient city centre, some beaches are connected by buses: Guidel, Fort Bloqué, Lomener.
- Port Louis – Another town across the "rade de lorient"; Fort and museum of the East India company.
- Ile de Groix – A nice island 45 min off Lorient connected by ferry. Hike or bike around the island. The ferry costs €30 return (€35 weekend and summer). Departure 08:05, 11:00 13:45, and 18:45. Return from Groix: 06:50, 09:30, 12:30, and 17:30.
- Football: FC Lorient pay soccer in Ligue 1, the top tier in France. Their home ground Stade de Moustoir (capacity 19,000) is in town centre.
- Festival Interceltique de Lorient is held in August, with the next on 5-14 Aug 2022.
- Street concerts, food and drinks, Celtic music and shows daily.
- Hike the GR34 le sentier des douaniers coastal track along Brittany's coast.
Crêpes. Expect to pay €4 in a creperie for a "complete" filled with ham cheese and egg.
Kouing Amman (delicious sweet butter and caramel cake). Easily found during festival interceltique, otherwise check out bakeries.
Bars and pubs around Place Jules ferry - Quai des Indes. Expect around €5 for a pint of beer.
As of June 2022, Lorient has 5G from all French carriers.
- Vannes – 40 min away by train or car on the way to Rennes and Paris.
- Quimper – 40 min away by train or car, westwards: smaller pleasant city.
- Quiberon and Carnac – Nice walks on the coast, about 30-45 min drive from Lorient.