Los Cristianos is one of the most popular tourist centres in the south of Tenerife. In particular, this region has become known for its sandy beaches. The town offers a full holiday experience, with two sandy beaches, a multitude of bars and restaurants, and its year-round sunny climate. There is accommodation for different budgets, including hotels, self-catering apartments and timeshare resorts. There is also a wealth of excursions focused around the town's busy port including dolphin and whale watching as well as game fishing trips and party cruises.
It is a town of about 21,000 permanent residents (2015) that is 2 km southeast of Playa de las Américas and 5 km southeast of Costa Adeje. Los Cristianos has attracted British expatriates who emigrated either permanently or semi-permanently to escape the cold British winters. English is as widely spoken as Spanish, and there are British-owned bars, restaurants, shops and services aimed predominantly at the tourist sector.
The town is best reached from the southern airport Reina Sofia, which is is only 15 minutes away from Los Cristianos and is linked by an extensive bus network. From the northern airport the region can be reached via the TF-1 motorway, which also passes the capital Santa Cruz on the way to Los Cristianos. The port of Los Cristianos has daily connections with the islands La Gomera, La Palma and El Hierro.
Those wishing to explore the island and who wish to see beautiful and important places have several possibilities to move on the island.
The cheapest way is the TITSA public bus network, which is very well expanded and will take you almost anywhere. There is a so-called "Tenmás ticket" available.
- TITSA (bus). South Tenerife is served by the following bus routes 040, 111, 343, 416, 417, 418, 420, 424, 447, 448, 450, 467, 471, 473, 477 and 483.
People who prefer to discover the island on their own, the car hire would be the most appropriate solution. You should obtain several offers and compare prices. After that, you have many options open to go to beautiful sights, pass beautiful panoramic roads and small villages and get to know the people.
A tourist train (Tren Turístico) serves Costa Adeje to Los Cristianos with several stops including in Playa de las Américas.
- Castillo San Miguel
- Whale and dolphin watching
- 1 Jungle Park (Close to the area of Los Cristianos). Well worth a visit, the bird of prey show is a must. There are free bus links to the park, but getting on one to get back is not much fun!
- 2 Siam park (In Costa Adeje). Opened in 2008, this is a fantastic water park, created by the owners of Loro Parque - and it has been beautifully designed, like a modern Lago Martianez! Look out for the 2-m-high artificial waves. Unlike many of these places, there is plenty of shade and high quality cafes/bars so you can spend the whole day there without burning and dehydrating!
- 3 Aqualand (In Costa Adeje). A water park.
- 4 Monkey Park, Camino Moreque-Llano Azul 17 (TF662), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:30-16:00 daily. Zoo with emphasis on monkeys, roaming around the park freely in many areas. Other species include rodents, reptiles (snakes, tortoises), and parrots. Adults €10, children €5.
- Sports Centre "Tenerife Top Training"
A resort that attracts thousands of visitors every year with an extensive range of shops, shopping malls, restaurants. Just take a walk through the streets and experience the charm of the local shops.
In Los Cristianos you will find a wide selection of restaurants and bars, where typical dishes of the island were offered as Conejo en salmorejo, carne de cabra or stew canario, and prawns calamari or traditional paella, as well as Spanish food of course a great selection of international dishes you will find there.
- 1 Ricos, Paseo Estocolmo 10, ☏ , ✉ Elisa.mastracci@Virgilio.it. Small Italian restaurant with a twist of fast food. A bit of a hidden gem tucked away in the streets of the otherwise uninspiring Los Cristianos. Limited seating available, so making a reservation in advance is highly recommended. €7 - €35.
- 2 Taberna Cántabra, Calle Juan Reveron Sierra 2, ☏ , ✉ Albavt50@gmail.com. Tu-Su 13:00-midnight. Charming tapas bar. €15 - €30.
In Los Cristianos and Playa de Las Americas you can enjoy a unique night life. A variety of pubs and clubs entertain visitors every night until dawn. Here are some examples:
- Aquariom, Avda. de Suecia.
- Bar Elcine, C/.Juan Bariajo, No. 8.
- BUSBYS, Av. Marítima, S/N.
- BYBLOS, Playa de Las Américas (Hotel Columbus).
- Cheers Family Bar, San Marino (next to bus stops). Full menu available until 22:00.
- Hotel Andreas. ** The hotel is very centrally located, so you can easily reach bars and restaurants. It is a city hotel with 50 rooms and 3 suites.
- Aparthotel Reveron. *** 49 apartments are available. The apartment hotel is about 800 m from the center of Los Cristianos. The Facilities include a swimming pool, game room, conference room, internet and laundry service.
- Apartmenthotel Oasis Mango. *** This complex has 49 apartments. 1 km from the beach of Los Cristianos and 300 m away there is a range of restaurants and bars. Facilities include a swimming pool for adults and children, billiards and many other entertainment activities within the complex.
- [formerly dead link] Apartments Aguamar. This apartment hotel is very close to the sea of Los Cristianos and it is about 1.5 km away from the beach of "Las Vistas". The complex has 140 apartments with one or two rooms, and all include a living room with kitchen, bathroom and balcony. All apartments are equipped with the necessary accessories such as bedding, crockery and electrical appliances (microwave, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, TV and telephone). Other features are included like a swimming pool (heated in winter), deck chairs for relaxing, restaurant and pool bar, mini-golf 9 hole course, the entertainment area (table tennis table, children's park, adventure park.), Laundry.
- Regency Country Club. **** Regency Country Club Apartments & Suites is an exclusive hotel with a privileged location in the south of the island of Tenerife in the residential area of Chayofa, 5 minutes from Los Cristianos and the renowned Playa de las Vistas. Its design is based on the exotic island of Bali, decorated with natural stone and hand-carved statues located all through the resort and complemented by fabulous furniture and marble floors in all public areas with a unique panoramic view to the pool, gardens and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Reveron Plaza Hotel. **** The Reveron Plaza Hotel was opened in 1998 and retains its classic style to this day. The hotel is 200 m from the beach. A highlight is the unique sea view from the rooftop terrace, which also has a swimming pool. The 43 rooms are on the cutting edge of technology and services.
- Hotel Spa Villalba. **** Vilaflor is the highest city in Spain. The hotel was completed in 2004 and has 23 rooms. Its architecture is traditional Canarian style and the hotel offers a wide range of activities and entertainment. The spa has a swimming pool with indoor and outdoor facilities, jacuzzi, sauna, solarium and massage.