For tourist information see: The Lyme Regis Official Tourist Information Guide.
Lyme Regis is an historic unspoiled seaside resort and fishing port on the world famous Cobb harbour. Surrounded by beautiful coastlines and countryside, the area has now been awarded World Heritage Site Status; famous for its geology and fossil finds.
The town is famous for "The Cobb", a large harbour wall, that has featured in novels by Jane Austen (who was a frequent visitor to Lyme Regis). The Cobb was used as a setting for Persuasion, a film of Jane Austen's novel. The Cobb was also used in the film The French Lieutenant's Woman, starring Meryl Streep, based on the book of the same name by local writer John Fowles.
- Trains: The nearest train station is Axminster, which is on the route from Waterloo to Exeter.
- Buses: There is also a good bus service along the Jurassic Coast. Bus companies that run through Lyme Regis are......
One very good way to get around is to walk. Lyme Regis is on the South West Coast path and there are many circular routes from and around Lyme Regis.
- 1 The Cobb. a large harbour wall, that has featured in novels by Jane Austen (who lived for a time in Lyme Regis) and in the film The French Lieutenant's Woman, based on the book of the same name by local writer John Fowles.
- 2 The Town Mill, Mill Lane, Lyme Regis, Dorset DT7 3PU, ☎ . Daily, 11 am - 4pm, subject to volunteer availabilty; galleries daily, 10.30am - 4.30pm. A fully working watermill, restored and re-opened in 2001; tours available. The site is also occupied by galleries, craft workshops, cafe and micro-brewery. Email via contact form on the website.
- 3 Lyme Regis Museum, Bridge Street, Lyme Regis, Dorset, DT7 3QA, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The main museum is currently closed , until June 2017, for the building of the Mary Anning Wing Extension. It is, though, still running fossil walks, town walks, Mary Anning walks plus many other events around town, including outdoor activities for schools. Visit the temporary information centre and shop on Bridge Street for books, souvenirs and gifts. See the website for further information.
- 4 Dinosaurland Fossil Museum, Coombe Street, Lyme Regis, Dorset, DT7 3PY, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily, 10 am to 4 pm from February half term to end of October half term. Winter opening hours vary - please check before visiting.. A traditional museum, with more than 12,000 specimens on permanent display. £5.00, adults; £4.00, children 5 to 16; under 5s free; family ticket (2 adults + 2 children) £16.00..
- 5 Golden Cap, Golden Cap Estate, Morcombelake, Bridport, Dorset (See website for directions), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The highest point of the south coast of Great Britain, owned by the National Trust; visible from Lyme Regis seafront. Stonebarrow shop and information centre open seasonally, Easter to October; see website for opening hours.
- Fossil hunting. in front of the cliffs by the beach. There are lots of fossilised ammonites in the sediment layers in the cliffs, and as weathering occurs, the cliffs are eroded and the fossils are left on the beach. The best time to go hunting is in Spring, when the winter's storms have exposed many fossils. Most are small, some are the size of your palm, and one or two are surprisingly large--up to a metre in diameter!
- Crazy Golf (in Langmoor Gardens overlooking the Promenade.).
- Relax on the Beach where you get fantastic views of England's first natural World Heritage Site - the Jurassic Coast.
- 1 Marine Theatre, Church Street, Lyme Regis, Dorset, DT7 3QA, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Box Office: Monday – Saturday: 10am – 5pm. Varied programme of theatre, music, comedy and other events.
Fish on the Cobb.
Crab fishing equipment for fishing off the Cobb
- There are lots of restaurants in Lyme Regis but none that have really made a great impression.
- There are also a few fish and chip shops.
- The Nag's Head
- The Volunteer
- The Pilot Boat
- The Cobb Arms
- The Ship Inn
- The Harbour
- The Rock Point
- The Standard
Hotels with bars
- The Royal Lion
- The Mariners
Restaurants with bars
- Lyme Bay Kitchen and Bar
- Purple Parsnip
- The Cobb Arms. just next to the harbour, three nice and clean rooms, modern bathroom double £60.00.
- Springfield House, Woodmead Road, DT7 3LJ, ☎ . Large elegant Georgian House with stunning views of the sea and Dorset coastline. Private car park. Room rates £33 - £38.