Madison is a town in New Haven County of Connecticut. It is in the central part of the Connecticut shoreline. The population of Madison was around 18,000 as of 2014. Much of Madison is known for its pricey, historical homes and its miles of beach.
The total area of Madison is 38.6 square miles. It was founded in 1641 as "East Guilford". It was named its own town in 1826, which separated Madison from is bordering town of Guilford.
It is 15 miles east of New Haven and 35 miles south of Hartford. Madison is immediately bordered to the east by Clinton, on the north by Durham, on the south by Long Island Sound, and on the west by Guilford.
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport (New Haven, CT), in New Haven County, about 17 miles from the main business district of Madison.
- Bradley International Airport (Windsor Locks, CT) in Hartford County, halfway between Hartford, Connecticut and Springfield, Massachusetts. It is Connecticut’s busiest commercial airport.
CT Transit – public transportation for all of Connecticut.
To get into Madison take route I-95 to exit 61.
For east and west transportation access there are three major roads that intersect Madison; Interstate 95, US highway 1 (Boston Post Road), and state highway 80. State highway 79 allows for north and south town access. All roads can have considerable traffic when going to the more heavily populated areas.
- Deacon John Grave House, 581 Boston Post Road. Began as a primitive two-room dwelling that is now a classic New England saltbox. The house has been inhabited for over 300 years by the descendants of Deacon John Grave.
- Scranton Memorial Library, 801 Boston Post Road, ☏ +1 203-245-7365. Historical library in the heart of Madison. The library offers beautiful architectural sites and an array of activities each day for children.
- 1 Hammonasset State Park (exit 62 from Interstate 95 North, if you are already in Madison take a 20 minute drive east to the major shoreline.), ☏ +1 203 245-2785. 7 days a week at 8AM until sunset. This state park offers endless amounts of things to do for couples and for families. There are over 1,000 acres of campgrounds, parks, beaches, walking trails, bike paths, and fields. Meigs Point Nature Center is also within Hammonasset State Park, offering aquariums and reptile and amphibian exhibits for the kids. variable fees during peak season.
- Beebe Marine, 21 Boston Post Road, ☏ +1 203-245-8665. Located on East River, Beebe Marine offers a full range of boating services, along with a full marina to walk around and explore yachts and sea-life.
- Eagle Watches on the Connecticut River, 871 Boston Post Road, ☏ +1 203-245-9056. Every winter visitors and residents can watch the Bald Eagles make their way from Canada to the Connecticut River to find ice free fishing. Professionals help people spot the eagles while giving the history of the majestic bird. Pre-registration is required to attend. Binoculars are recommended and can be rented. $20 admission fee which includes lunch after the excursion.
- Kirtland H. Crump Clocks, 387 Boston Post Road, antique clocks, repair & restoration. Contact: +1 203-245-7573.
- Walker Loden, Ltd, 788 Boston Post Road, antiques, gifts, jewelry, accessories. Contact: +1 203-245-8663.
- Anna Mia’s, 698 Boston Post Road, women's shoes, boots & accessories. Contact: +1 203-245-8118.
- Ciao Bella Moda International, 36 Wall Street, pre-teen, teen & up clothing & accessories, unique. Contact: +1 203-245-1819.
- Clinton Sport Shop, 16 West Main Street, sporting goods & apparel. Contact: +1 860-669-1009.
- Country Shop of Madison, Inc., 684 Boston Post Road, women's clothing & accessories. Contact: +1 203-318-0368.
- Jolie Boutique, 670 Boston Post Road, women's clothing, accessories & jewelry. Contact: +1 203-245-5828.
- Khaki and Black, 22 Durham Road, men's & women's apparel & Simon Pearce glassware. Contact: +1 203-245-8887.
- Foxglove Gallery, 129 Samson Rock Drive, gifts, bath and body. Contact: +1 203-245-2481.
- Hair Concepts, Inc., 883 Boston Post Road, hair styling. Contact: +1 203-245-2767.
- Skin Secrets, LLC, 119 Samson Rock Drive, beauty, nail and skin care. Contact: +1 203-245-8188.
- Timothy Pamment Salon, 22 Durham Road, hair salon, hair care, skincare by Skin Ceuticals. Contact: +1 203-245-7707.
- Bella Perlina, LLC, 673 Boston Post Road, individually created jewelry. Contact: +1 203-245-4850.
- Paul Lirot Jewelers, 73 Wall Street, jewelry, design & repairs, estate jewelry. Contact: +1 203-245-0320.
- The Silver Moon, 769 Boston Post Road, silver jewelry. Contact: +1 203-318-8329.
Gifts and accessories:
- Everlastings, LLC, 18 Wall Street, custom floral design, decorative accessories. Contact: +1 203-245-1391.
- Madison Cheese, 129 Samson Rock Drive, International cheeses, gourmet food, custom baskets. Contact: +1 203-245-5168.
- The Nosey Goose, 33 Wall Street, gift and antique shop. Contact: +1 203-245-3132.
- The Audubon Shop, 907 Boston Post Road, optics, natural history books, wildlife art. Contact: +1 203-245-9056.
- Savvy Tea Gourmet, 28 Durham Road, teas, tea related items and accessories, breakfast and lunch. Contact: +1 203-318-8666.
- Café Allegre, 725 Boston Post Road, Romantic dining experience offering an array of Italian cuisine. Located in the heart of downtown Madison. Open Tuesday to Thursday from 11:30AM to 2:30PM, Tuesday to Thursday from 5:30PM to 10PM, Friday from 11:30AM to 2PM, Friday from 5:30PM to 10:30PM, Saturday from 5:30PM to 10:30PM, and Sunday from 1PM to 9PM. Contact: +1 203-245-7773.
- Fish Tale Restaurant, 1301 Boston Post Road, Fresh seafood cuisine, offering homemade soft serve ice cream. Open Sunday to Thursday from 11AM to 9PM, and Friday to Saturday from 11AM to 10:30PM. Contact: +1 203-245-7289.
- Madison Beanery Hometown Bakery, 712 Boston Post Road, Endless amounts of coffees and desserts. Contact: +1 203-245-1323.
- Zhang’s Restaurant, 44 Boston Post Road, There is an abundance of Chinese delicacies like the Jumbo Shrimp with Walnut with a white Marnier sauce, and Crispy Orange Beef. Japanese specialties like Donburi, Udon and sushi. Open Monday to Thursday from 11AM to 10PM, Saturday from 11AM to 11PM, and Sunday from noon to 10PM. Contact: +1 203-245-3300.
- Madison Beach Hotel, 94 West Wharf Road, ☏ +1 203-245-1404. Waterfront hotel.
- Beach Tree Cottages, 1187 Boston Post Road, ☏ +1 203-245-2676. Cottages set within a tranquil landscape. Cottages consist of bedroom with queen size bed, full bath, living room with pull-out couch, and kitchenette with all necessary appliances. Walk or bike to Hammonasset State Park.
- Captain Stannard House, 138 South Main Street, ☏ +1 860-399-4634. Bed and Breakfast
- Scranton Seahorse Inn, 818 Boston Post Road, ☏ +1 203-245-0550. Bed and Breakfast in middle of downtown Madison.
- Tidewater Inn, 949 Boston Post Road, ☏ +1 203-245-8457. 9-room bed and breakfast with an ocean view.
Additional and more modestly priced options can be found a 10-15 minute drive south on I-95, in Guilford and Branford.
- Madison Chamber of Commerce, 12 School Street, ☏ +1 203-245-7394.
|Routes through Madison|
|Providence ← Clinton ←||N S||→ Guilford → New Haven|
|Providence ← Clinton ←||N S||→ Guilford → New Haven|
|New Haven ← Guilford ←||W E||→ Clinton → New London|