Magog is a town of 25,000 people (2011) in Quebec at the northern end of Lake Memphremagog.
Magog flourished in the 19th century thanks to the construction of flour, saw and card mills by Ralph Merry III, the founder of Magog. Arriving in the region around 1797, he constructed the first dam on the north side of the river, between an island and a stream, where the railway now lies.
The town’s original name was “Outlet”, as it is located where the lake drains. For the same reason, the parish of Saint-Patrice-de-Magog, founded in 1861, carried the name Saint-Patrice-d’Outlet at the time. Outlet was the official name for many decades, although Magog started appearing on official documents in 1783.
In 1850, Outlet became Magog, which was incorporated on January 28, 1888 as a village, and in 1890 as a town.
Magog became a city in autumn 2002 when it merged with Magog Township, which covers a large area divided into three districts by two shores of Lake Memphremagog and the Town of Omerville, formerly a parish attached to Magog. In a historical context, this merger appealed to a strong sense of mutual ownership based on over 200 years of sharing and developing a common land.
- From Montreal take the Autoroute 10 East. Take exits 115, 118, or 123.
- From Sherbrooke take the Autoroute 10 West. Take exits 115, 118, or 123.
- From Vermont take I-91 North to Canadian border (Rock Island border crossing between Stanstead, QC and Derby Line, VT). It becomes Autoroute Joseph-Armand Bombardier (route 55). Take exit 29 or 33.
Limocar (1619, ch. de la Rivière Aux Cerises) offers service from Montréal to Sherbrooke and Magog to Sherbrooke.
- Magog Marine, 675, rue l'Archevêque, ☎ . Jet ski rental $95/hr including temporary boating license
- Vieux Clocher de Magog. Live music, comedy and event space.
- Memphrémagog Arts Circuit
- Swimming and water sports
- Golf and mini putt
- Horseback riding
- In-line skating
- Stroll through the Baie-de-Magog park
- Visit vineyards
- Escapades Memphrémagog, Quai MacPherson (horloge), Pointe Merry, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . "Grand Cru", 176-passenger tour boat with brunch/lunch/dinner cruises.
- Plages du Magog. Visit Plage Ouest or Plage des Cantons
- Parcs municipaux Magog. Climb Magog tower, on wharf MacPherson
- Orford Express, ☎ , toll-free: . Tourist train to Sherbrooke, three panorama dining cars, extra charge for wine/beverage service, tickets not transferable nor refundable. $75-125.
- Chemin des Cantons. Go for a scenic drive.
- Marais de la Riviere aux Cerises, Chemin Roy, 69. Boardwalk over a large marsh, and other well-maintained hiking trails.
While you’re having fun in the water, keep an eye out for Memphré, a legendary lake creature that has been making waves for over 200 years. Memphré has been seen over 225 times, with sightings dating back to 1798.
- Skating on the ice path that borders Lake Memphremagog
- Snowmobile trails
- Mont Orford Ski Area, 3074, chemin du Parc Orford (Highway 10, exit 118 North), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Downhill skiing
- Owl's Head. Downhill skiing
- Parc national du Mont-Orford, 3321, chemin du Parc Orford (Highway 10, exit 118, direction of Parc national du Mont-Orford or Highway 55, exit at Highway 10, exit 118 Lac-Stukely sector), toll-free: . Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- Traversée Internationale du Lac Memphrémagog swimming event
- Magog-Orford Grape Harvest Festival, fall
- Marche public de Magog (Public market), 125 chemin de la Plage des Cantons. Late June to late Oct: most Sundays 10:00-14:00. Local farmers' products.
- Galerie D'Art Dame Lachaise, 108 Place du Commerce, toll-free: . Su 11:00-17:00, Th-F 10:00-21:00, Sa 10:00 -17:00. Antiques, lamps, art and jewellery..
- 1 Savon des Cantons, 1540, chemin des Pères. Manufacture of soaps, fragrances, essential oils.
- 2 Vignoble du chemin de la Rivière, 1087, chemin de la Rivière, ☎ .
- 3 Vignoble Le Cep d'Argent, 1257, chemin de la Rivière, ☎ , toll-free: . Guided tours, tastings, sommelier workshops, boutique, panoramic picnic stations, interpretation center of the traditional Champagne method. Open year-round.
The main street of downtown Magog offers great dining and retails options. Whichever restaurant you choose, look for the traditional comfort food, poutine (french fries, cheese curds, and gravy) or smoked meat.
- Liquor Store Resto Club Cabaret, 276 Rue Principale Ouest, ☎ . Daily 11:00-03:00. Offers an excellent menu with indoor and terrace dining. It turns into a hopping nightclub with DJs in the evening, and live music on the weekends. In the winter, it's a cozy spot to warm up after a day of skiing.
- Taverne 1855, 428 Principale Ouest, ☎ . Tu W 11:00 - 21:00, Th-Sa 11:00 - 22:00. Local ingredients, good wine list, vegetarian options. Mains $29-32.
- Douceur Antillaise, 2970 Chemin milletta, ☎ . Tu-Th 11:00-14:00, F-Su 10:00-14:00, Th-Sa 17:30-21:00. Caribbean, Cajun and Creole, grill, vegetarian friendly.
- Bar Laitier La Lichette, 25 Rue Principale Ouest, ☎ . More than 40 flavours of gelato and sorbet.
- 1 Au Gré du Vent, 225 chemin Roy, ☎ . Country table, bring your own wine.
- 2 Boulangerie Owl's Bread, 428 Principale Ouest, Magog, ☎ . Pastry, catering, restaurant-bistro.
- 3 Cavallini Il Ristorante, 101, rue du Moulin, ☎ , toll-free: .
- L'Expresso, 1691, chemin de la Rivière aux Cerises, ☎ . W-Su from 17:00.
- 4 Jack-O, 481, rue Principale Ouest, ☎ . Seafood, pizza, delivery +1 819-416-0666.
- 5 Ranch du Spaghetti, 3005, chemin Milletta, ☎ . Italian cuisine, table d'hôte for lunch and dinner, pasta, pizzas and grilled meats.
- Resto Chez Papie, 2223 chemin du Parc, Orford, ☎ .
- Microbrasserie la Memphre, 12 rue Merry S, ☎ . Daily 11:30-21:00, bar open Th-Sa until 02:00. Resto-pub. Craft beers made in small quantities with natural ingredients, unfiltered, unpasteurized.
- 1 Café St-Michel, 503 rue Principale ouest, ☎ . Bar and restaurant.
- Chez Benito/Pub du Pont, 20 rue Merry S, ☎ .
- 2 Rustick, 3219, rue Principale Ouest (Route 112), ☎ , toll-free: . Brasserie and inn.
- T d'Asie, rue Principale, ☎ . A service of 100 teas.
- B&B Au Manoir de la rue Merry, 92 Merry Sud, toll-free: . A Victorian house dating from 1860 in downtown Magog. Beautiful bedrooms each with its private bathroom, a small boudoir area to relax, and a coffee/tea machine. The lounge has a fireplace. From $104 including breakfast.
- La Belle Victorienne, 142 Merry Nord, ☎ , toll-free: . Rooms are equipped with private bathroom, queen bed, satellite TV. From $89 including continental breakfast..
- Motel De La Pente Douce, 1787 Chemin Riviere aux cerises. 30 rooms, a seasonal heated outdoor pool, free Wi-Fi in each room, air-conditioned rooms with a microwave and refrigerator, cable TV, coffee maker. From $65 including continental breakfast.
- 1 Auberge Aux 4 Saisons d'Orford, 4940 Chemin du Parc, Orford, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 2 Auberge du Grand Lac, 40, rue Merry Sud, ☎ , toll-free: . Hotel and restaurant serving Asian specialties.
- 3 Auberge du Mont Orford, 3159 rue Principale Ouest, ☎ , toll-free: . Rooms with mini-fridge and coffeemaker, 40 "wired TV screen, wireless internet, French restaurant Comme Chez Soi, and Eaux Petits Soins massage therapy clinic. From $130.
- 4 Aux Jardins Champêtres, 1575, chemin des Pères, ☎ , toll-free: .
- 5 Estrimont, Avenue de l'Auberge, Orford, ☎ . Hotel and spa, 95 suites with fireplace, kitchenette and large balcony. Fire Stone Restaurant (meat, seafood).
- 6 Étoile-sur-le-lac, 1200, rue Principale Ouest, ☎ , toll-free: . Hotel, condos and spa, Ancrage restaurant on the shores of Lake Memphremagog.
- 7 Hôtel Chéribourg, 2603, chemin du Parc, Orford, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
Twenty Cogeco Wi-Fi network access points are available free of charge at Main Street and Merry Street in the downtown core.
|Routes through Magog|
|Montreal ← Eastman ←||W E||→ Sherbrooke → END|
|Drummondville ← Sherbrooke ←||N S||→ Stanstead → Saint Johnsbury via|