Makurdi is the capital of Benue state of North Central Nigeria and sits in a very agricultural area along the Benue River with the fitting moniker of food basket of the nation. Home of Benue State University and a military base. It doesn't seem like the kind of place where'd you come for a vacation in and of itself, but, it has some things if you're here.
- 1 River Benue Bank. You can stop along the bank of the Benue River here to watch the locals fish with nets in the not exactly pristine water and maybe catch a sunset.
- 2 Makurdi Zoological Garden (on the Benue State University campus), ☏ . This appears to be a rather primitive zoological park with few animals, but it is something to pass the time if here in Makurdi.
- 1 Wurukum Market. If you want the real deal of an outdoor Nigerian market, this might just fit your bill. Come prepared for the raw, real experience with all the sights and smells. Don't forget the handwipes if you have any.
- 1 Dexters Restaurant, Old Otukpo Rd, Wurukum, ☏ . Long time Makurdi establishment. Jollof rice, chicken, yogurt, etc.
- 2 Ark City Cafe And Grill, Atoshi Cl Rd, ☏ . Fairly upscale dining location with shawarma, grills, and fancy drinks.
It appears Sheraton Hotel, Makurdi is under renovation, but, in the meanwhile, there's:
- 1 Benue Hotels & Resort, No 5/7 Ahmadu Bello Way, ☏ . This is a well-liked hotel with some class. It has a restaurant, pool (complete with peacocks, mind you), gym, and comfortable interior halls. May be a little pricey according to some.